my budget pc esque speaker path - come on in
Jun 2, 2006 at 9:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

dano1122

100+ Head-Fier
Hello all, thanks for coming in to share my pain, first some brief background info. is in order...

Speakers are for a bedroom setup where powerful sound is not needed. House is shared so a minimal amount of noise respect is needed. Prefer a 2.0 setup, or 2.1 setup if the subwoofer is well done. Speakers are to be hooked up to a media center pc and will be used primarily for music, radio, tv, and movies. At this point, I am fixed on driving the speakers with a t-amp.

Here is where I've been or was considering, including general thoughts...

$190 swans m200 = too ugly, possibly harsh treble from tweeter

$150 klipsch promedia 2.1 = not worth the $, bad sound? bass could be too strong

$100 creative gigaworks t20 2.0 or klipsch promedia 2.0 = not much better than TV built-in speakers, small sound

Logitech z2300 or z5300e = bad subwoofer, bad for music, maybe good for TV

Active monitors are expensive & in general analytical, harsh, nonmusical sound.
Don’t get too nice speakers b/c a lot of listening done w/ internet radio and TV.
Don’t get too strong sub woofer b/c sound permeates house.

Options narrowed down: Polk R15, Paradigm Atom or Titan, Energy C-3, Athena AS-B1.2 or AS-B2.2

I was very interested in picking up the Atom, or even the Titan, but they seem to have all but fallen off the face of the earth after searching google, froogle, audiogon, ebay, amazon.... The Polk R15 seems to be in high supply at a low price (~$80 shipped/pair). The Energy c-3 is a bit higher priced and also has poor availability. I was only able to find a couple of stores in New York with possible backstock that carried em. Athena is also a possible choice again at a higher price

Ok, so, now that we've been introduced. Please help

Jun 5, 2006 at 6:43 PM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by ilikemonkeys
The Paradigm Titan's pair with the T-Amp very well.

hows the bass? aren't paradigms available through local retail stores only and not online?

Jun 6, 2006 at 8:47 PM Post #4 of 5
How the Bass? They're bookshelves....you won't get a lot of bass anyway, but it sure isn't hard to listen and enjoy. idon't listen to a lot of bass heavy music, so I'm probably not the best person to ask. From what I've heard over the past year or so, the Titans pair with the T-Amp better than any other.

Jun 7, 2006 at 3:19 AM Post #5 of 5
well umm haha, you know how you end up overspending sometimes, well i blew my budget way out... ended up with a panasonic xr57 instead of the t-amp, for speakers i have a pair of ascend cbm-170se ($350) on the way as well as a pair of energy c-3 (discontinued) ($250). i also had a chance to audition the b&w 601s3 at ken crane's and i was impressed, very musical sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back