My budget is £1,700
Jul 3, 2013 at 1:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

scotty2012

Head-Fier
Hey all

I have a budget of £1,700. I would like to buy a portable set-up and after a bit of research, I am considering the Astell & Kern AK120 paired with the Sennheiser IE 800's.
Does anyone here have this same set up or have you tried it and what did you think?
Do you have any better recommendations within my budget?

All help and advice is massively appreciated.

Thanks.

Jul 3, 2013 at 3:17 PM Post #2 of 5
I think that kind of money for such gear is risky. In 5 years time, that gear will be worthless and can't be sold second hand. IEM will be old and dirty, and the portable player very old tech (capacity, new formats...)
I would buy a nice desktop setup for the money you have left, the senn IEM use that with your phone. YMMV

Jul 3, 2013 at 4:00 PM Post #3 of 5
Quote:
I think that kind of money for such gear is risky. In 5 years time, that gear will be worthless and can't be sold second hand. IEM will be old and dirty, and the portable player very old tech (capacity, new formats...)
I would buy a nice desktop setup for the money you have left, the senn IEM use that with your phone. YMMV

Hi, thanks for the reply. I'm not bothered if the gear becomes outdated and has no value in years to come, when that time arrives or before then, I will buy something new. I want to know if the tech is as good as it claims to be and will it produce good enough sound quality or is there something better on the market?

Jul 3, 2013 at 5:01 PM Post #4 of 5
Nothing against the Senns, but if you're spending that much on earphones I'd definitely get customs instead.

Jul 7, 2013 at 7:06 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:
Nothing against the Senns, but if you're spending that much on earphones I'd definitely get customs instead.

Agreed...

Plus, if you follow the AK120 thread, apparently the headphone out cannot be that good, as a lot of people end up amping the player...

Why live with compromise if you max out your budget, yet know that you could've gone further...

I suppose, if the OP has heart set on the AK120, might be worth waiting a month or two for the used market to kick in, to pick up a lightly used second hand one from the forums for say $800-$1000 (so cheaper than UK retail) which should give enough left over budget to get a mid tier amp as well!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back