my best options for a PCDP / discman with ESP?
Jan 23, 2012 at 2:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

nOoneNL

Head-Fier
I've been a fool and discovered yet another expensive world; the world of the good old PCDP's 
eek.gif

Now I've already made my first purchase: the Sony D-66. It's in near mint condition, but the problem is it came without an AA battery-pack or adapter, so I can't use it as a portable device.
So the search continues...

What I am looking for is a PCDP with a strong headphone-out and some sort of shock protection, because I will be using it outdoors (but I won't be doing any jogging).
Battery life is of some minor importance, although I am aware that this is not one of the strong-point of an old PCDP.
It would be nice if I don't have to carry around a dozen batteries 
wink.gif

Any suggestions? 

Jan 23, 2012 at 8:05 PM Post #3 of 11

Quote:
Well, if you can get suspensions for your fixed gear bicycle, then you can skimp on the shock protection and have more choices.

not really what I had in mind 
redface.gif

But uhm...Are you trying to say there are no PCDP's with great sound AND shock protection?
frown.gif

One that might just be a small step down from the all-mighty 90's Sony's?
Or as close as it gets I suppose... 

Jan 23, 2012 at 9:34 PM Post #4 of 11
I have no idea how much skip protection one needs, just for walking around 
confused.gif

But from what I understand, any and all old Sony PCDP's are not ideal for portable use.

Right now I am using a Philips Expanium discman and it's a piece of crap.
I've got a DT770 pro - 80 Ohm coming my way,
so I am in desperate need of a better portable player (and AMP).

Maybe I should get a Sony D-EJ 925 or a D-EJ 2000?

Any thoughts?

Jan 23, 2012 at 10:14 PM Post #5 of 11
The D-EJ2000 is a good choice as it is probably the last decent sounding pcdp that Sony made. Other vintage Sony pcdps with ESP or shock protection that sound good and you might want to look into are the D-515, D-777, D-E905 (or it's asian counterpart the D-E900), D-NE1, D-NE10, and D-EJ01 (D-E01). Beware that the mentioned pcdps don't come cheap and do command a price. On the cheaper side you can try and locate Sony D-465 and D-321, both have shock protection and a decent sound.

Jan 23, 2012 at 10:57 PM Post #6 of 11

Quote:
The D-EJ2000 is a good choice as it is probably the last decent sounding pcdp that Sony made. Other vintage Sony pcdps with ESP or shock protection that sound good and you might want to look into are the D-515, D-777, D-E905 (or it's asian counterpart the D-E900), D-NE1, D-NE10, and D-EJ01 (D-E01). Beware that the mentioned pcdps don't come cheap and do command a price. On the cheaper side you can try and locate Sony D-465 and D-321, both have shock protection and a decent sound.

Thank you so much! 
biggrin.gif

It's nice to have a little list, so I'll know for which I'll have to keep an eye out 
cool.gif

Beyer DT 770 80 ohm and a Sony pcdps 
L3000.gif

But what amp to get, what amp to get 
confused.gif
 is the FiiO E17 a good match you think?

Jan 24, 2012 at 8:46 PM Post #8 of 11

Quote:
Haven't had any experience with FiiO E17 with the DT770 80 ohm so I can't comment on how they both would synergize.

Thank you for your reply 
biggrin.gif

Well, after doing some reading on The E17 I have no doubts about it being a good choice.
So I went ahead and pre-ordered mine on MP4Nation.

Can't wait 
eek.gif
 finally getting my awesome portable gear together!

Jan 24, 2012 at 9:52 PM Post #9 of 11
Congrats on the purchase, hope it will bring you hours of listening bliss. Good luck in your vintage pcdp search, there are quite a few good sounding and cool looking ones out that you just can't settle on just one. Always have patience to wait and look for that good deal, otherwise you could end up overspending for something that could turn out to be junk. Enjoy the ride and sorry about your wallet.

Jan 24, 2012 at 10:49 PM Post #10 of 11

Quote:
Congrats on the purchase, hope it will bring you hours of listening bliss. Good luck in your vintage pcdp search, there are quite a few good sounding and cool looking ones out that you just can't settle on just one. Always have patience to wait and look for that good deal, otherwise you could end up overspending for something that could turn out to be junk. Enjoy the ride and sorry about your wallet.

Haha thanks! Yeah my wallet is already starting to look like it's in pain 
wink.gif

Today I received an old Philips AZ 6830 which I got for a only a few euro's.
This is already way better sounding then the newer Philips Expanium 511,
so I can't wait to hear some other pcdp models!

I've also got a Sony D-EJ 925 coming my way (which I will upgrade to a D-EJ 2000 as soon as I come across of those)

and I'll keep an eye out for the Sony's you mentioned!

Thanks again for the advise 
biggrin.gif

Jan 30, 2012 at 2:19 AM Post #11 of 11
Ok, so the D-EJ 925 is a great disappointment in sound quality.
The sound can be best described as compressed, even from the line-out it sounds flat out...ehr.. flat.
The old Philips pcdp sound way, way better. It has body, warmth and a much wider soundstage.

Ah well, I might try some Panasonic's since they come cheap, until I bump into a sony at a not-so-crazy-price  
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back