My best ebay win yet?!
Jul 9, 2005 at 9:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

Duncan

Headphoneus Supremus
Just thought i'd share this with you guys, a few minutes after winning... couldn't see that I was going to - but, I did
biggrin.gif

DSOTM MFSL version - This well and truly makes up for my Philips headphones getting destroyed yesterday.

Do you guys think i got ripped off though, i mean, I know its a gold CD and all that, but - is it worth twice as much as a standard version??

I hope so
biggrin.gif

Jul 9, 2005 at 9:28 PM Post #2 of 26
Congrats Duncan!

I literally just sat down, warmed up my Millet, plopped my brand spankin' new HD650's onto my head, and qued up the FLAC of that exact album. Then the first thread I read at Head-Fi is this one
cool.gif

Jul 9, 2005 at 9:40 PM Post #3 of 26
I've been looking for a Mo - Fi DSOTM CD for ages Duncan......they're as rare as rocking horse ****, does the source you bought yours from have any more?

Mike.

Jul 9, 2005 at 9:42 PM Post #4 of 26
I don't know how much a new store bought cd costs in england, but if I understand you right and £30.00 is only twice as much then I'd say you got a good deal. Brand new MSFL cds in america cost about $25 which is just around double the cost of normal cds. So paying only double for something thats rare and very popular is deffinatly not a bad deal. Thats all not withstanding the sonics of the disc, which I can tell you from experience, you will be very happy with.

Jul 9, 2005 at 10:29 PM Post #5 of 26
You lucky ebayer you!

I sure would've bought that one if I'd seen the auction earlier.

Jul 9, 2005 at 10:41 PM Post #6 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kikkoman
I don't know how much a new store bought cd costs in england, but if I understand you right and £30.00 is only twice as much then I'd say you got a good deal. Brand new MSFL cds in america cost about $25 which is just around double the cost of normal cds. So paying only double for something thats rare and very popular is deffinatly not a bad deal. Thats all not withstanding the sonics of the disc, which I can tell you from experience, you will be very happy with.

Remember that MSFL don't do DSOTM anymore........... It's therefore rare.

Duncan, you're one lucky little ****........... enjoy!!

Mike.

Jul 9, 2005 at 10:42 PM Post #7 of 26
I've since done a bit of research, and it turns out that I have bought the US version, reportedly the Japanese pressings are 'better', but the person who has sold it to me assures me that that might 'possibly' have been true initially, but certainly with this particular disc, there is no difference between the two versions... and he seems to be someone in the know
biggrin.gif

Fingers crossed it'll arrive in one piece, and totally mint condition

Jul 15, 2005 at 6:49 PM Post #8 of 26
I've received the CD today... and, its still sealed!
biggrin.gif

Should I open it, or should I leave it sealed for future years?? Most of me wants to open it, and play away, but a small part of me thinks that it may be worth more in the future left, in its sealed state?!

Jul 15, 2005 at 7:01 PM Post #9 of 26
Dude, you must play it!

I had no idea those discs were extra valuable or anything - i remember seeing a ton of them in the 90's collecting dust in the used bin, so i picked up one for 5 bucks because it had Clapton on it (it was John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers album with Clapton) - rats, I should have stocked up!

edit - bah, my CD is still only worth 9 bucks on amazon lol.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...music&n=507846

Jul 15, 2005 at 7:12 PM Post #10 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
I had no idea those discs were extra valuable or anything

Take a look at this auction with still two days to go! insane!

Jul 15, 2005 at 7:17 PM Post #11 of 26
WOW... talk about great timing.... IM looking for that exact original master recording. I had no idea they were that rare... kind of dis-heartening.

Garrett

Jul 15, 2005 at 7:20 PM Post #12 of 26
Listen to it Duncan. I bought the MoFi recordings at the time because they were supposed to sound better than the standard versions and they did... I sure didn't buy them to sit in an attic gathering dust in the hope they gained in value over the years.

They are pretty rare now as MoFi no longer make them and their value will increase due to supply / demand but they are only worth the value of the music to me and I would gladly pay todays rates for the MoFi recordings as they sound good.

Rip the shrink wrap off and listen to the recording Duncan, you're too soon dead.

Mike.

Jul 15, 2005 at 7:56 PM Post #13 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duncan
I've since done a bit of research, and it turns out that I have bought the US version, reportedly the Japanese pressings are 'better', but the person who has sold it to me assures me that that might 'possibly' have been true initially, but certainly with this particular disc, there is no difference between the two versions...

I have both, and could not hear the difference.

You should definitely open it and play it.

Jul 15, 2005 at 10:08 PM Post #14 of 26
Yup, listened to it, and it sounds ace... totally and utterly blows away the redbook portion of the SACD hybrid, and i'm sure it'd show the SACD layer a clean pair of heels also
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back