My Battery Life Tests of the Sony D-EJ001
Sep 3, 2005 at 1:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Eagle_Driver

Headphoneus Supremus
Quote:

Originally Posted by mmmpopfanatic
I've been looking to buy the d-ej001, but how's the battery life? The package says it only gets 12 hours of battery life, but I emailed Sony and they said it was actually 50 hours, a more realistic number for a Walkman. Any idea what yours is getting?

Well, I've just got done testing and measuring the battery life of my D-EJ001, using various rechargeable batteries and a fresh set of regular Duracell alkaline batteries. (The rechargeables were charged in "fast charge" mode on a Maha MH-C401FS charger, and then left on "trickle charge" for several hours after the charge cycle had completed.)

My results -- with the D-EJ001's G-Protection set to Off, which made the spindle motor run continuously, and the D-EJ001's volume set at 80% of maximum volume, playing through Sony MDR-7506 headphones -- are as follows:

RadioShack 1000mAh NiCd Rechargeables: 7.15 Hours
RadioShack 1500mAh NiMH Rechargeables: 7.93 Hours (These batteries have a lower capacity than claimed)
Energizer 1600mAh NiMH Rechargeables: 9.57 Hours
Energizer 1850mAh NiMH Rechargeables: 11.38 Hours
Energizer 2200mAh NiMH Rechargeables (bundled with Energizer 15-Minute Charger): 13.50 Hours
Energizer 2300mAh NiMH Rechargeables: 14.38 Hours

For comparison, here are my results with regular Duracell alkalines: 13.64 Hours

This test proves that on a portable CD player, there is little reason to choose throwaway alkaline batteries over a good set of high-capacity rechargeable batteries, especially if you use that PCDP often. (I haven't tested Duracell Ultras or the new Energizer 2500mAh NiMH rechargeables. However, expect the Duracell Ultras to virtually equal the battery-life performance of the 2300mAh rechargeables, while the 2500mAh rechargeables should run the longest of them all.)

Also, the Sony e-mail rep was incorrect about the 50-hour battery life on the D-EJ001, as my tests pointed out. Expect about 16 hours of battery life with regular alkalines with the G-Protection set to On.

Hope you've enjoyed this battery-life report.

Eagle_Driver

Sep 3, 2005 at 4:56 AM Post #2 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eagle_Driver
Well, I've just got done testing and measuring the battery life of my D-EJ001, using various rechargeable batteries and a fresh set of regular Duracell alkaline batteries. (The rechargeables were charged in "fast charge" mode on a Maha MH-C401FS charger, and then left on "trickle charge" for several hours after the charge cycle had completed.)

My results -- with the D-EJ001's G-Protection set to Off, which made the spindle motor run continuously, and the D-EJ001's volume set at 80% of maximum volume, playing through Sony MDR-7506 headphones -- are as follows:

RadioShack 1000mAh NiCd Rechargeables: 7.15 Hours
RadioShack 1500mAh NiMH Rechargeables: 7.93 Hours (These batteries have a lower capacity than claimed)
Energizer 1600mAh NiMH Rechargeables: 9.57 Hours
Energizer 1850mAh NiMH Rechargeables: 11.38 Hours
Energizer 2200mAh NiMH Rechargeables (bundled with Energizer 15-Minute Charger): 13.50 Hours
Energizer 2300mAh NiMH Rechargeables: 14.38 Hours

For comparison, here are my results with regular Duracell alkalines: 13.64 Hours

This test proves that on a portable CD player, there is little reason to choose throwaway alkaline batteries over a good set of high-capacity rechargeable batteries, especially if you use that PCDP often. (I haven't tested Duracell Ultras or the new Energizer 2500mAh NiMH rechargeables. However, expect the Duracell Ultras to virtually equal the battery-life performance of the 2300mAh rechargeables, while the 2500mAh rechargeables should run the longest of them all.)

Also, the Sony e-mail rep was incorrect about the 50-hour battery life on the D-EJ001, as my tests pointed out. Expect about 16 hours of battery life with regular alkalines with the G-Protection set to On.

Hope you've enjoyed this battery-life report.

Eagle_Driver

Nice report Eagle_Driver. I wander why did Sony make a new walkman with only 16 hours of battery life. Is this Discman loud through the headphone out?

Sep 3, 2005 at 5:34 AM Post #3 of 12
SONY man actually mean 50 hrs with both inserted internal battery AND external battery compartment.

Sep 3, 2005 at 6:03 AM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by diablo9
SONY man actually mean 50 hrs with both inserted internal battery AND external battery compartment.

Sorry, the D-EJ001 does not have -- nor does it support -- an external battery compartment. It simply runs on two internally-located AA batteries.

Sep 3, 2005 at 7:02 AM Post #6 of 12
sorry I thought you were talking about D-EJ01, which is so called "king of SQ in CD walkman". apparently not...
Never heard of D-EJ001 before. For D-EJ01, it surely does have external battery compartment. I have this piece, costed me $350.

Sep 3, 2005 at 7:11 AM Post #7 of 12
Sep 3, 2005 at 5:23 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Never heard of D-EJ001 before.

The D-EJ001 is a new, 2005 bottom-of-the-line model from Sony. It sells for $30.

I forgot to mention that all alkaline and NiMH batteries drop in mAh when a load is applied. The regular Duracell alkalines are rated at a higher mAh (approx. 2800mAh) than any of the rechargeables on the market -- but that's with a near-zero load applied to the cells. But while the NiMH rechargeables' mAh drops only slightly with the load from a typical PCDP, the alkalines' mAh drops significantly. While I estimate that the 2200mAh NiMH rechargeables deliver about 2150mAh under PCDP-level loads, the alkalines deliver less than 2200mAh under PCDP-level loads.

The NiCd rechargeables, on the other hand, actually increase their mAh under a medium-drain load. Rated at 1000mAh under a near-zero load, the capacity actually went up to over 1100mAh under the load of a PCDP. It's no wonder why NiCd's can handle insane current drain better than most other types of batteries (with the exception of throwaway lithium batteries).

Sep 4, 2005 at 5:41 AM Post #9 of 12
nice review, man. Now I understand!
Ni-Cd battery is actually pretty good in term of the performance. The only thing is that the memory effect which does not affect Ni-MH.

BTW: could you tell me where did you buy the highest rated rechargeable NIMH battery? The highest I can find is 1900. And does charger matter? or they are practically the same?
blink.gif

Sep 4, 2005 at 6:05 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eagle_Driver

Maybe he meant that you could turn the player on without a cd, and keep it on for 50 hours
tongue.gif

Sep 4, 2005 at 9:49 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

BTW: could you tell me where did you buy the highest rated rechargeable NIMH battery? The highest I can find is 1900. And does charger matter? or they are practically the same?

Well, I purchased the 2300mAh NiMH rechargeables at my local Target store. That was a year ago. Today, my local Target -- as well as my local Best Buy and Walgreens stores -- all carry the 2500mAh NiMH batteries.

And chargers do vary in their gentleness to batteries and their completeness of their charging. The Maha "fast" chargers offer a good compromise between charging speed, gentleness and completeness. A lot of other fast chargers either significantly undercharge the batteries or seriously overheat them.

As for slow chargers, you should pay serious attention to the timing: Slow chargers for NiMH batteries rely solely on a fixed timer for charging control. (Microprocessor-controlled "smart" charging controls work poorly or not at all in slow charging.) Many fixed timers in slow chargers are set so short that they leave higher-capacity NiMH batteries undercharged at the end of the fixed time. (Remember, charging efficiency at such slow rates is poor compared to fast charging.) You can compensate by unplugging the charger, waiting a minute or so, then plugging the charger back in -- but then, you will have to remember to unplug the charger at approximately the right moment; otherwise, you will overcharge the NiMH batteries and seriously shorten their usable life. And the slow chargers can significantly overcharge NiMH batteries without overheating them. Worst of all, slow chargers have no trickle-charge mode at all whatsoever (and their normal charging mode still delivers too much current for effective trickle-charging); once the slow-charge timed cycle has completed, the charger turns itself completely off.

Sep 4, 2005 at 9:52 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by notnormal
Maybe he meant that you could turn the player on without a cd, and keep it on for 50 hours
tongue.gif

Except that Sony PCDPs always shut themselves off after just 10 seconds if they cannot detect a CD
evil_smiley.gif

By the way, I found out from my original quote that he mistakenly applied that 50-hour claim based on the battery-life claim of their higher-priced D-EJ120. However, both the D-EJ001 and the D-EJ120 use completely different motors and circuitry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back