My Balanced TakeT H2 and TR2. (Vs. ED9) Tons of pics.
Oct 19, 2007 at 11:27 AM Post #166 of 231
Mr Takei has gotten in touch with me regarding the comments about brightness/darkness he has read in this thread. He has said that a revision in the design of the sound of the driver was made to the newer units to improve the high end.

This may explain some of the differences that there have been between group buy members impressions and some of the comment in the review.

I suspect that the sound tone change is not radical though. Because there has not, or does not seem to have been, from what I see, any fundamental visible change.

Oct 19, 2007 at 11:49 AM Post #167 of 231
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I suspect that the sound tone change is not radical though. Because there has not, or does not seem to have been, from what I see, any fundamental visible change.

Maybe he changed a resistor value or something, there are (edit) 5 in the earcup.

Is he selling these new pads Aaron? They look nice.

Anyone had any thoughts on improving on the TR2 or a suitable amp for these?

Oct 19, 2007 at 12:53 PM Post #168 of 231
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevenkelby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is he selling these new pads Aaron? They look nice.

He is still deciding about that.

Oct 19, 2007 at 1:10 PM Post #169 of 231
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevenkelby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe he changed a resistor value or something, there are 4 in the earcup.

So far the earcups have resisted all my attempts to open them up - any hints?

Oct 19, 2007 at 1:20 PM Post #170 of 231
Quote:

Originally Posted by goon-heaven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So far the earcups have resisted all my attempts to open them up - any hints?

Yep, two hints. Be careful and take your time!

Actually 3 hints, Don't do it!

If you can't be dissuaded, PM sent.

Oct 19, 2007 at 6:38 PM Post #172 of 231
Sadly there isn't enough room in there to do any significant mods, like adding dampening material to the housing walls (unless the material would be in sheets less than about 0.7mm thick, which wouldn't do much). It's interesting to have a look in there though. The driver itself is sturdier than it looks - just treat it like it was paper and be careful not to get any moisture on it (fingertips).

EDIT: has anyone managed to remove the vibration board itself from the housing?

Oct 19, 2007 at 9:45 PM Post #173 of 231
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mr Takei has gotten in touch with me regarding the comments about brightness/darkness he has read in this thread. He has said that a revision in the design of the sound of the driver was made to the newer units to improve the high end.

Great news!

Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
N
Side shot with both:

New_Pads2.jpg

Looking good
biggrin.gif
Does it change the sound?

Oct 20, 2007 at 12:15 AM Post #174 of 231
Sound is the same as original pads (without ears touching the grills), but better than my insulation mod, which were extremely comfortable but biased the drivers a tad to far away from the ears.

I believe a solid leather, Audio Technica-like, auto adjusting spring pad system would finish these puppies off quite nicely.

Oct 20, 2007 at 10:48 AM Post #175 of 231
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sound is the same as original pads (without ears touching the grills), but better than my insulation mod, which were extremely comfortable but biased the drivers a tad to far away from the ears.

I believe a solid leather, Audio Technica-like, auto adjusting spring pad system would finish these puppies off quite nicely.

AT-like headband pads would be glorious. As of right now, the leather over the wire loops has twisted just so that when I put them on and they're overlapping, they unhook rather dramatically and smack me in the head.

Sproing!

Edit: I'm working on a mod, of sorts. I have a few used PS2 games that lack covers, but have blank boxes. These boxes (DVD cases) are made of triple-layered material (Glossy plastic, insulation/filler, matte plastic.) and are quite ideal, I think, for blocking noise leakage around my DT770 pads. As of now, I have chopped up one case and have cut it to fit the H2, where the stock pads would be. I'm going to be cutting a 7x7cm square (Roughly the interior dimensions of the hole in a pair of DT770 pads) and then attaching the DT770 pads onto it.

As far as SQ effects, the sound is better simply because the DT770 pads are now much closer to the driver, where they used to sit on the 7mm tall stock pads, they now sit on the craft paper prototypes.

I'm also toying with making the baffles out of balsa wood and then spraypainting them black, but for now, unless the plastic is utterly unworkable, I'll continue to use it, because the matte plastic is a very close match to the H2 color.

Oct 22, 2007 at 11:49 PM Post #177 of 231
The prototype pads are very elegant look and look like they belong with these cans.

They are comfortable, and although they'll never make an episode of "How It's Made" the handmade pads will always hold an important place in the steps it took to make this headphone, what it will become...

...a headphone that changed the way that we listen to music.

Anyone with a headphone museum needs to add this to their collection.

It's "how the west was made".

Oct 28, 2007 at 1:16 PM Post #179 of 231
Here comes the bump. Beware, it's a big 'un.

I've completed my H2 modifications.

Here's a (not-so-short) chronology of what I've done:

When I first received them, I attached, first, HD650 pads to the stock H2 pads. I then switched to to the DT770 pads and found them to both be a better fit for the housings, and more comfortable.

A week or so later, I decided I wanted my ears to be closer to the drivers, but I wasn't giving up comfort for this. The stock pads came off. The DT770 pads fit fine within the space that the stock pads occupied.. But there's glue that's open to the air. It'd collect hair and dust pretty quickly, and be useless by the time I get / if I get the new pads from Mr. Takei.

So, my new project was going to be one plastic sheet per driver, cut to fit inside the housing, corners sanded down, and the center cut out. Sadly, I lacked the cutting bit to do this easily, so I ended up doing a two-piece design that ended up leaving a bit of glue open, but that's a non-issue because it's covered by the DT770 pads.

Fast forward another week or two, and I'm getting sick of the wire loops. See, one arrived slightly bent so whenever the left driver is near-perfectly centered, it droops and loses its springiness. This can be counteracted by putting it over the right loop, but it has a tendency to end up on the bottom when you take the headphones off.

So, I (less-than-gracefully) removed them, and removed the HD650 headband pad from the plastic. It didn't fit well at all. On the other hand, the DT770 headband fit wonderfully. So much so that it's now my semi-permenant replacement.

I briefly toyed with the idea of making a bracket so that the H2 drivers could be attached to the HD650 headband, but decided that it's, firstly, too much work for a negligible benefit, and, secondly, it would just move the driver 5-7mm further from my ear, which is decidedly bad for SQ.

The two pictures below illustrate what I've done. The yellow electrical tape does the job. I ran out of black. It's either yellow, or white.

You may think of me as some sort of deranged headphone killer, skinning a DT770 and attaching its skin in a grisly manner to another headphone with scraps of tape.. And I'm not going to attempt to refute that!

Blurry pictures (Blurropics) to follow. (Though it may not look it, the headband pad is stuck on there quite well.)

Oct 29, 2007 at 12:06 AM Post #180 of 231
Nice mod Deiz. I didn't think of putting the beyer headband underneath the stock one. How's the comfort? When I tried the Beyer pads the bass went deeper but it also became painfully bright. Is this how yours sounds, or am I hearing my amp again?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back