MY BABY'S BACK HOME...Zana Duex arrival.
Nov 19, 2005 at 4:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Mikey01

Headphoneus Supremus
[size=small]After a small adjournment from it's sweet and loving home, the Zana D is BACK. Much like it's owner, it had some massive surgery, preformed on it, and is now of different character. The 6AN7 tube was changed to a 6SL7 along with associated resistors, capacitors and the like. For you to witness: behold, a butterfly from the cocoon.
A big friggin beautiful thirty five pound thunder pumpin butterfly. With a sound experience John Williams would die for and like to have for his next space movie.

Now understand this is just a two hour listening documentary of an un-broken-in amp along with the users caviler expressions to a new toy. So take it with a grain of salt. So I did a search to find an opening statement for all of this. I found the following: WOW, this super deluxe extra mini CMoy is the best amp I ever did heared of. So we will change it a bit and say: WOW, The Zana Duex is simple the best, I have had so far, the privilage to hear.

Forgive me, but to use a term from Single Power, if the EC 2A3 is a great amp; the Zana Duex may well be the "slam version".
It has it all. Great speed, pratt, rhythm, bass, detail, extended frequencies on both ends, blackness, with wide and deep soundstage. However, it is not overly liquid or too smooth. It is very ingageing. You won't go to sleep on this guys watch. I always zero in on the cymbals as a test for some of the amps qualities. In this case, the normal crunch, clash and splash is not just defined and dressed up to be more presentable, but rather more real and lifelike. Just wonderful to hear the real time sound of a cymbal sintering. Many instruments sounded like they were suspended in mid air. This is just a teaser. More to follow.[/size]
580smile.gif
rs1smile.gif
3000smile.gif
280smile.gif

[size=medium]Say, Eddie? Park dis one ova there, in between da 2a3si and da Black Rose, in that open spot. An don't be revin the engine too much neither.[/size]

Nov 19, 2005 at 5:30 AM Post #3 of 13
Congrats on the new arrival.... we'll wait for you to pass out cigars!
biggrin.gif
Looking forward to a full review...

Nov 19, 2005 at 1:02 PM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikey01
[size=small]Much like it's owner, it had a sexual reassignment proceedure preformed on it.[/size]

blink.gif
blink.gif

Grats on the amp! Err now this isn't something you read everyday on a headphone forum
wink.gif

Nov 21, 2005 at 4:22 AM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Solude
blink.gif
blink.gif

Grats on the amp! Err now this isn't something you read everyday on a headphone forum
wink.gif

Sorry! I was going for the shock value, and trying to create a little excitement, like the TV show "Desperate Housewives". I ammended it to something more normal. For me, in part still truth to a small extent, I want men to ask or to know, that they need to get themselves checked for cancer in certain areas, before it's to late. And for them to know, if the worst does happen, there is a happy life possible afterward. Married for thirty three years and still willing and able. I am back from Chicago's two day trip. I wish I had more time as to be able to visit Ray Sammuals place of business and meet Tuberoller and Gang. But time did not permit. Stayed out by the airport, and even managed a quick trip down "Michigan Ave's Magnificant Mile" and a trip to the top of the "Sears Tower", again (4th time). Maybe next time folks. Now back to the ZanaD.
biggrin.gif

Nov 21, 2005 at 3:01 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacd lover
How do you like those black glass round plate Tung Sol 6SL7's ?
wink.gif

Craig knew I had them so he did not send any Russian tubes this time. Hence I have nothing to compare them with to see how they affect anything. To the best of my hearing, the Black Glass Tung Sol's are MAGNIFICENT.
cool.gif
I tried to listen to the ZD last night but fell asleep after my long drive home.
confused.gif
rolleyes.gif

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a13...1/P1000849.jpg
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a13...1/P1000861.jpg
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a13...1/P1000858.jpg

Nov 21, 2005 at 8:20 PM Post #9 of 13
See pic's in the above posting.
tongue.gif
biggrin.gif

Nov 21, 2005 at 9:50 PM Post #10 of 13
Dang, I thought they'd be pics of the update ZD with new tubes!!
tongue.gif

Still, they are very nice, too.

EDIT:

Much congrats on the amp. Without digging into old threads, how much was this puppy. I love the 6C33C tube, would think the headphone amp using them would be awesome!

Nov 21, 2005 at 10:16 PM Post #11 of 13
Hey Mike wanna come out to a Chicago Meet with those Eddie amps?

Like the Sears Tower? I been there a few times this summer, should see the sunset on a clear day. I always try to find my house from the skydeck, But I can see the skydeck from my house...haha

anyway since your the Eddie Current amp guy here on headfi I think you and all your amps should come! It would be fun to sit and chat with you but honestly I am dying to try some of Craigs newer line. theres not much info on the site and I tried the hd300/hd25 before and loved them.

Let me know man

Nov 22, 2005 at 3:06 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhd812
Hey Mike wanna come out to a Chicago Meet with those Eddie amps?
Like the Sears Tower? I been there a few times this summer, should see the sunset on a clear day. I always try to find my house from the skydeck, But I can see the skydeck from my house...haha
anyway since your the Eddie Current amp guy here on headfi I think you and all your amps should come! It would be fun to sit and chat with you but honestly I am dying to try some of Craigs newer line. theres not much info on the site and I tried the hd300/hd25 before and loved them.
Let me know man

I always hated high places but always liked to face and beat my fears as some of you on this board know. I have been to the top of the World Trade Center (may God bless that place), the CN tower in Toronto, and the Sears building. And now I just love it up there. I love to fly too. The heights don't bother me anymore. Got something your affraid of.....get over it,... suck it up...deal with it... and get on with life.
cool.gif

Sorry, but due to recent changes to the Zana Duex and it's outcome I don't want to speak for Craig as far as priceing goes. Please ask him outright.

I know he has found a new tube being made that is half (internal construction) of what a 6c33b tube is. It is a 6C41 from Yugoslavia. A 6c33b tube, going bad or poorly made, can be dangerous to you as well as damaging to the internal components. He is planning on building a less power hungry lower wattage version of the Zana Duex around the 6C41 tube. He hopes to capture much the same sound with less pricey and complicated components. You don't need ten (my guess not his) watts per channel to drive headphones. The price should be more likeable also.

THIS 6C41 TUBE PROTOTYPE COULD USE A SPONSER/OWNER. Could be around $400 to $700 is strictly my wild guess. That is if you can talk him into it, which you should be able to do.
icon10.gif

Nov 22, 2005 at 6:52 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mikey01
For me, in part still truth to a small extent, I want men to ask or to know, that they need to get themselves checked for cancer in certain areas, before it's to late. And for them to know, if the worst does happen, there is a happy life possible afterward. Married for thirty three years and still willing and able.

Mikey,

Good for you and God bless.
600smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back