My audition impressions (K702, HD650, HD600) and need for advice
Nov 29, 2009 at 11:41 PM Post #16 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For the descriptions you are giving you should review a pair of grados. I own the Hd650, the K701 and RS1. The three are keepers for me but if someone would put a gun on me forcing me to choose i won't blink on getting the RS1s
wink.gif

lol, just give him the 650s and tell them that they are the perfect audiophile hps.
wink.gif

Nov 30, 2009 at 9:41 AM Post #17 of 21
Well I do quite prefer the HD650 to the K70* and I can't get the RS1. Its far too expensive. Are there any grados which can compete and are cheaper?

And idk... the senns are really old. I'm hesitant about buying something released in 2004. Seems a bit precarious if something better comes out soon from Sennheiser.

Again, can the K701s be EQ'd to give large amounts of bass similar to the senns?

Nov 30, 2009 at 9:51 AM Post #18 of 21
SR225 is the sweetspot in the lower end of Grados. See if those are in your price range.

Don't be hesitant about buying a 'dated' design. If you think a 5 year old design is old, you should see headphones people are using here that were released in the 1950s and are still amazing in their own rights. Audio changes at a snails pace and almost all of our gear is still based off of 50+ year old technology, even (surprisingly or no) electrostatic headphones like Stax (many of their designs are from the 1970s). Also don't worry about 'the new model' effect. This is almost a non-factor in audio, where many of the 'new and improved' designs end up sounding worse or merely similar to older designs. Some new designs (like Senn HD800) involve real improvements with recent technology, but even those aren't universally acclaimed as better.

Dec 1, 2009 at 7:11 AM Post #19 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Maxvla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
SR225 is the sweetspot in the lower end of Grados. See if those are in your price range.

Don't be hesitant about buying a 'dated' design. If you think a 5 year old design is old, you should see headphones people are using here that were released in the 1950s and are still amazing in their own rights. Audio changes at a snails pace and almost all of our gear is still based off of 50+ year old technology, even (surprisingly or no) electrostatic headphones like Stax (many of their designs are from the 1970s). Also don't worry about 'the new model' effect. This is almost a non-factor in audio, where many of the 'new and improved' designs end up sounding worse or merely similar to older designs. Some new designs (like Senn HD800) involve real improvements with recent technology, but even those aren't universally acclaimed as better.

i agree that headphone, speaker, and cable advancements change at a snails pace, but DAC's, other digital equipment, and other integrated circuit stuff progresses at a reasonable pace. not lightning fast, but 5+ years would be a bigger leap for digital equipment than headphones.

Dec 1, 2009 at 7:13 AM Post #20 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by etiolate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i agree that headphone, speaker, and cable advancements change at a snails pace, but DAC's, other digital equipment, and other integrated circuit stuff progresses at a reasonable pace. not lightning fast, but 5+ years would be a bigger leap for digital equipment than headphones.

Agreed, but that is beyond the scope of this topic. We are talking about headphones, not digital equipment.

Dec 1, 2009 at 11:55 AM Post #21 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Maxvla /img/forum/go_quote.gif

SR225 I'll have a listen out for then. Thanks a lot for the reassurance
biggrin.gif
. I'm just afraid Sennheiser's gonna release the HD700 at the HD650's price point with HD800 technology.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back