My AudioEngine A5s came
Oct 9, 2009 at 8:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

jfindon

500+ Head-Fier
I need help setting them up already. I'm going directly into my soundcard, which is an Audigy2 ZS and I'm having a brainfart about what to connect where. Maybe it's because I'm so used to 4.1 setups but I don't know what to plug into the soundcard and go into the speaker. Could it be as simple as the long 1/8 connection into the left speaker, then into the soundcard?

Help?

Oct 9, 2009 at 9:02 PM Post #2 of 15
Yep, that should do it
smile.gif

Oct 9, 2009 at 9:08 PM Post #3 of 15
Thanks, I got it
smily_headphones1.gif
Seemed to simple and I'm used to plugging in 50 things to my PC. Time to listen for awhile
smily_headphones1.gif

Should I take it easy on them for awhile or is it ok to turn them up a little bit?

Oct 10, 2009 at 12:47 AM Post #4 of 15
They should be able to handle anything, although I would expect most burn-in advocates would recommend "reasonable volumes" in the first couple dozen hours.

Personally I've never had cause to crank the knob more than halfway, these things can get pretty damn loud.

Oct 10, 2009 at 1:06 AM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. B /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They should be able to handle anything, although I would expect most burn-in advocates would recommend "reasonable volumes" in the first couple dozen hours.

Personally I've never had cause to crank the knob more than halfway, these things can get pretty damn loud.

Thanks. My keyboard has volume on it too and it tends to take over, so I have the knob turned up a bit less than half and adjust it on my keyboard until it's loud enough.

I must say, I was very worried I wouldn't like them (especially for not ever hearing them) and I was also worried about lack of bass. My worries are pretty much gone, depending on the CD and if it's mixed/ripped/produced right, there is plenty of bass and these things just sound awesome. It took a few songs to get used to 2.1 again, but now I love them.

I'll take some pictures of how I have them on my desk to make sure they're placed optimally and such. I think I have them set decently because if I get up I can hear a big difference in quality, but when I sit they sound perfect. Right about ear level.

Anyway, thanks for the recommendations guys, all last night I was really hoping I wouldn't have to send them back because I didn't like them, but they are really something else. The amount of bass they have by themselves is pretty crazy and the actual quality is MUCH better than my Z-560s. I don't know if it's because of the bloated bass I was used to or the speakers themselves, but everything just sounds great, even with my crappy glitchy Audigy2.

L3000.gif

EDIT: Here is a very crappy picture.

3996468643_5d57acdb8b_o.jpg

Oct 10, 2009 at 4:45 AM Post #6 of 15
Grats on finally getting them. I can't really tell from that pic if there's at least 6 inches of clearance behind them, cos it's best to have at least 6" so the rear ports can breathe.

Also, try to make sure the tweeter is as close to your ear level as possible. How are you finding the sound stage? Try experimenting with the angling; angle the speakers straight head on towards you and see if it's better/worse etc

Oct 10, 2009 at 7:47 AM Post #7 of 15
Grats. I got my A5s roughly a month and half ago. I don't think I've had the opportunity to really break them in yet (it's not too often I get to listen to music at reasonably loud volumes) - but they sound great regardless. The soundstage on them is almost unreal too. Using my X-Fi 3D Positioning, I can simulate 5.1 with these, and they give me positioning equally as accurate as the Z-5300s I've had in the past. Not to mention the A5s sound better.

Oct 10, 2009 at 2:46 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by noinimod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Grats on finally getting them. I can't really tell from that pic if there's at least 6 inches of clearance behind them, cos it's best to have at least 6" so the rear ports can breathe.

Also, try to make sure the tweeter is as close to your ear level as possible. How are you finding the sound stage? Try experimenting with the angling; angle the speakers straight head on towards you and see if it's better/worse etc

There is about 10" between them and the wall, the angle of the picture just sucks.

To be honest, I'm not sure about the soundstage, I didn't really pay attention, but I'll try that later today. As it is now, the sound seems like it's coming from directly in front of me, like out my monitor speakers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by goldec /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What sub are you using?

Sorry, I meant 2.0. Used to having a sub and typing the .1.

Oct 11, 2009 at 3:27 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. B /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice setup, speakers could be elevated a bit though. Duck your head down so you're at eye level with them, see if you can hear an improvement.

I already am eye level
wink.gif
The way they are right now, the tweeters are just about a half in below my ears. I had them right next to my monitor at first, but they're a bit too big and hung over the edge so I put them on the next level.

I do see how they bring flaws out in your music though, because some of my music sounds like crap. Very little bass and just shallow sounding. Others sound amazing.

Oct 16, 2009 at 7:35 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by jfindon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I already am eye level
wink.gif
The way they are right now, the tweeters are just about a half in below my ears. I had them right next to my monitor at first, but they're a bit too big and hung over the edge so I put them on the next level.

I do see how they bring flaws out in your music though, because some of my music sounds like crap. Very little bass and just shallow sounding. Others sound amazing.

What are you listening to that sounds bad? MP3s, FLAC, or cd? I generally find 192 kbps to be good enough. I imagine the A5 does not suffer as much as the A2, but the A2 definitely needs some EQing. If sounding flatter on certain songs isn't "good enough" I boost the bass a little as it is easier on my ears and can make some of the more poorly recorded music sound a bit more fun to listen to as long as it doesn't "reverberate" (not sure if that is the right word in this situation, not to keen on audio lingo). The A5 probably won't have that problem.

Oct 16, 2009 at 2:56 PM Post #13 of 15
MP3s. I'm not sure what bitrate they are offhand, but sometimes even high bitrates sound like crap to me because of how they record the songs I guess. I generally EQ everything though, depending on what I listen to.

I'd say some of my best sounding music is Antoine Dufour's "Existence", and that's all acoustic. I mean this in terms of liveliness and bass.

Oct 16, 2009 at 3:53 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by jfindon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
MP3s. I'm not sure what bitrate they are offhand, but sometimes even high bitrates sound like crap to me because of how they record the songs I guess. I generally EQ everything though, depending on what I listen to.

Its because of the paper on the Wall.
Also, are those speakers built from plastic, they seem so shiny

Oct 16, 2009 at 4:48 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by sonci /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, are those speakers built from plastic, they seem so shiny

I have black A5s. The finish is more satin than gloss. The cabinet material feels like MDF (wood) to me. The cabinets are quite solid - a risk to knuckles when you rap them.

Bill

Users who are viewing this thread

Back