My Audio Technica Pro 700 MKII's have almost no bass?
Apr 7, 2012 at 4:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

typhoon90

New Head-Fier
Hey Guys, I've had a pair of MKII's for about 6 months now and have been enjoying them immensely however ever since I have had them I have found them lacking in bass quite a bit, this is odd considering they are being known for being very bass colored. It seems as though I can hear the bass but is not especially punchy. Originally I thought they just needed to burn in however I doubt this is still they case as I've put many hours of music into them. I have been using the MKII's with my iPhone and am wondering if perhaps it does not have enough power to drive them? I have been considering buying a Fiio E11 portable amp to see if this will solve the issue but did not want to go and spend the money straight away if there might be another cause. Have any of you guys had similar experiences with these or other headphones?

Apr 7, 2012 at 9:56 AM Post #2 of 21

Quote:
Hey Guys, I've had a pair of MKII's for about 6 months now and have been enjoying them immensely however ever since I have had them I have found them lacking in bass quite a bit, this is odd considering they are being known for being very bass colored. It seems as though I can hear the bass but is not especially punchy. Originally I thought they just needed to burn in however I doubt this is still they case as I've put many hours of music into them. I have been using the MKII's with my iPhone and am wondering if perhaps it does not have enough power to drive them? I have been considering buying a Fiio E11 portable amp to see if this will solve the issue but did not want to go and spend the money straight away if there might be another cause. Have any of you guys had similar experiences with these or other headphones?

My MK2s had an immediate bass impact the moment they came out of the box. It sounded a little too muddy, but this cleared up after 2 weeks of quite intensive listening. The bass quantity remained, but everything became a bit more refined.

I've tried my MK2s straight out of an iPod Touch without an amp, and I didn't encounter any issues. One of the problems with the MK2s is the size of the cups - they are pretty small for a circumaural set, and they need to be somewhat adjusted around the ears to get maximum (or better) bass impact. Seeing as you have owned it for half a year, I'm sure this is not the issue.

Hmm, maybe you might have a defective set? Have you tried auditioning another MK2 or other bass heavy cans for comparison?

Apr 7, 2012 at 12:31 PM Post #3 of 21
Hey Typhoon,

I own a pretty new pair of ATH-Pro700MK2ANV's and found the bass to be quite delightful. The thing is, I don't think they're meant to deliver super 'punchy' bass, but rather make your ear drums rumble with the sub-bass. When I first got them, I tested them against my Allen & Heath Xone XD-53's, and was actually able to hear sub-bass that I hadn't even noticed before.

So yeah, like Malevolent said, maybe you wanna try testing them against another headphone to see if the bass makes a difference. Other than that, I can't say much about amping them since I don't have an amp myself, but will be getting one within the month, so I'll try to get back to you on that.

Apr 21, 2012 at 12:42 AM Post #4 of 21
So mr. Typhoon

Pat your self on the back, you made me join head if so I can answer your question.
First off these headphones are amazing, second here are your problems
1. Your crazy bass head , the iPhone simply not powerful enought push out raw bass without Ann amp
2. Your ears must be shaped like mine where it's creating holes between the ath earpads

Solutions:
1. Get yourself an E11 amp on amazon, I think it 70$, then select level 2 bass keep it Iow freq
2. Take off the earpads on the pro700 and burn them
3. Laugh at the burned earpads and mock its entirety
4. Buy ath m50 replacement earpads (not only are they more comfortable they make a closed ear, letting you hear all the bass you want
5. Laugh again for those 6. Months you had no bass

Apr 21, 2012 at 9:47 PM Post #5 of 21
i am coming from sony xb500 and when i first plugged these in i thought i had fakes the bass was so bad but after 5 hours of burn the drivers loosened up and the bass was better but not amazing. now prolly around 25 or so hours and the bass is still getting better for me.  at first i couldnt believe how much i paid for the sound but they are getting much better.  i hope they grow a bit more but i think after 80-100hrs they will be rockin!  with a balanced eq the bass isnt overpowering at all but boost it a bit and it rumbles OK.   

Apr 22, 2012 at 2:31 AM Post #6 of 21
Rj you running an amp?
I had the xb500 and they hit hard, however if it's bass your crave for and you have no care for kids and highs they are perfect for you. But I love bass but also need good supplementation from kids and highs.
Quality wise the pro700 rock the xb500 and it doesn't look like ur wearing huge cans over your ear, with an amp pro700 hits as hard as the xb500 without disrupting the mids and highs

Apr 22, 2012 at 4:29 AM Post #7 of 21

Quote:
Rj you running an amp?
I had the xb500 and they hit hard, however if it's bass your crave for and you have no care for kids and highs they are perfect for you. But I love bass but also need good supplementation from kids and highs.
Quality wise the pro700 rock the xb500 and it doesn't look like ur wearing huge cans over your ear, with an amp pro700 hits as hard as the xb500 without disrupting the mids and highs

im with you on all of that except that the pro700 hits as hard as xb500.  its not even close.  dont get me wrong the pro700 sounds WAY better than the sony but from bass alone the sony easily hits harder.  you can take the sony like +50db for bass and the things just keep taking it!

if i had to try to make an analogy i would put it like this.  the xb500 is like 2 15" subs in the car trunk taking over everything from the junk stock speakers and the pro700 is like a very nice 12" sub that can get down when it needs to, paired with a high end 5.1 system :)

Apr 22, 2012 at 2:55 PM Post #8 of 21

Quote:

im with you on all of that except that the pro700 hits as hard as xb500.  its not even close.  dont get me wrong the pro700 sounds WAY better than the sony but from bass alone the sony easily hits harder.  you can take the sony like +50db for bass and the things just keep taking it!

if i had to try to make an analogy i would put it like this.  the xb500 is like 2 15" subs in the car trunk taking over everything from the junk stock speakers and the pro700 is like a very nice 12" sub that can get down when it needs to, paired with a high end 5.1 system :)

Yes, without a bass boost amp, the XB500 hits harder than the PRO700MK2. Taking nothing away from the latter, though; the XB500s are just incredible in delivering large servings of the low-end - It's just not as clean and detailed as on the ATs.

Aug 23, 2012 at 2:34 AM Post #10 of 21
MKII's have no bass? Somebody needs to tell my ears that cause these things are absolutely destroying my eardrums with brain rattling bass. So much so that I had to take my iTunes EQ and turn the bass down by about -8db, and still have plenty of bass to go around. The quality and quantity of bass of these things is simply amazing, especially for a $110 set of cans. 

Aug 23, 2012 at 3:57 PM Post #12 of 21
You need a good source to drive these like the zo2 amp. You won't get the full power with just the iPhone.
You wont get full power from the iPhone but you certainly wont say these have no bass either. But an amp makes a world of difference for sure. Even the E6 makes these things come alive! I can only imagine how much better the E11 will make them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Sep 26, 2012 at 5:38 AM Post #13 of 21
Man I am pisst off! I bhought Audio Technica pro ath-700 MKII and when I recieved them I was very dissapointed by the bass performance! Theres almost no bass, so I thought buyin a headphone amp would solve the problem. I bhought O2 amp and it is still the same!!!!!!!!!

What to do?

I bhought them from here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Audio-Technica-ATH-PRO700MK2-Pro700-MK2-DJ-Headphones-/300592472480?forcev4exp=true&forceRpt=true#ht_2106wt_1141

These headphones sucks balls, more happy with my koss porta pro! But cant use them cus the cable gets destroyed all the time! Never buying headphones again, so bad value!!!!

Sep 26, 2012 at 5:40 AM Post #14 of 21
The reseller has no warranty for these headphones... OMG!! I dont want to buy another pair of these headphones and then later find out I am getting the same problem.............

Sep 26, 2012 at 6:58 AM Post #15 of 21
Just checking, but you did push the cable into the headphone all the way in before screwing it? I made that mistake the first minute. Even the reviewer at headfonia.com mentioned it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back