My Audio Technica ATH-M40fs rig
Sep 2, 2006 at 1:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

rock\

Head-Fier
headphonerig002.jpg

headphonerig001.jpg

This is my first headphone rig. It is comprised of a pair of Audio Technica ATH-M40fs headphones, running off the headphone jack of a Sony DVP-S560D. I decided that I needed a headphone rig because I am not able to enjoy my main system as much as I would like listening to music, because my wife is always wants to watch tv in the same room as me. How weird
wink.gif
. Anyway, I purchased the DVD player, and Cans on ebay for a combined cost of $68.

For reference, my main rig is comprised of 3 Paradigm Mini Monitors across the front, 2 Paradigm Titans in the rear, an SVS PB10-isd sub, a Yamaha HTR-5560 receiver, and a Toshiba SD-4700 DVD player. You can see pics here:
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e1...Home%20Theater

My first impressions:
These are definitely an upgrade from my Koss Pro 35's. The soundstage is much more expansive, and the detail is amazing. On par with any sub $1000 speaker that I have heard. The midrange is very defined, on Jill Scott's "Bedda at home" her voice rang through in the midrange better than my Paradigms, which is astonishing in itself. On Grover Washington's "All my Tommorow's" album, I could hear instruments in the background that I have never heard before. I am very happy with these cans for what I paid for them.
My only complaint soundwise is the lack of low end bass. I'm not really expecting low, defined, accurate bass from a sub $100 can, but my frame of reference is probably skewed a bit. In my main rig, I have probably the best sub dollar for dollar known in the audio realm, so when the bass guitar is playing through my SVS, I feel as though the player is sitting in my family with a cigarette in his mouth playing his notes. The bass from the Audio Tech's is rather punchy, you don't feel those low notes like I'm used to. But all in all, it is not something that makes me not like them. Though I understand this could change over time.
They are very comfortable to wear, even with my big head, and the fact that I wear glasses. But they can be rather hot if the room is warm, or you have just sat down after doing something strenuous.

I want to thank all those that contributed to my "newbie headphone rig" thread, and hopefully I won't spend too much money on my newfound hobby.
cool.gif

Sep 2, 2006 at 2:49 PM Post #2 of 5
Congrats!

These are very detailed headphones! They are clear sounding, laid-back, almost as my Senns. They aren't fatiguing at all, which is what I like from them. Great sounding, especially for closed headphones at such a price! Good soundstage too. They are very neutral, perfect for mixing. They have that professional, monitor-like sound to them. They surely are way better than the KSC35/75 series. They aren't in the same league for sure.

Great choice!
biggrin.gif

Sep 2, 2006 at 6:18 PM Post #3 of 5
I also have these headphones & I rather like them. They sound really very monitor-like. I find that my HD485 is more engaging overall and better especially at vocals, but less flat in bass-midrange-treble. It has fuller, more realistic sounding vocals though.

Sep 2, 2006 at 7:45 PM Post #4 of 5
I was looking for detailed feedback on these because I was interested in using them for gaming. Thanks for the picture as well
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 12, 2006 at 5:38 AM Post #5 of 5
Wow... what is the matter with me???

I purchased these headphones the other day for $80 at a Guitar Center expecting them to sound fantastic hooked up to my Pioneer Elite AMP and they sound like garbage! I'm NO headphone expert though but I'm so frustrated with the fact by brother-in-law brings over an iPod with these cheasy little $10 headphones that actually plug into your ear.. You know, the plastic kind that usually people wear while they work out?

These ATH-M40fs sound horrible, there's no bass or really no treble either. What am I missing? Please DO tell because I'm consideirng buying a $100 pair of Sony, Sennheiser HD or Grado headphones but based on what I'm hearing and seeing here, maybe I should just go hunt down some of those cheapy ones..

Jon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back