my Audio Technica ATH-AD700s are broke
Oct 2, 2007 at 1:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

munkeeboi83

New Head-Fier
I've had my ATH-AD700s for about 2 years or so and today when I put on my headphones, I noticed from the left driver, a faint but very annoying clicking sound. Has anyone had a problem like this before? When I play music, it plays music, but the click sound is still there. Also, when I'm not playing music and it is connected to my sound card, there is still that clicking sound. I checked the cabling on my headphones and everything looked okay. I am usually very gentle and take care of my headphones. I run my AD700s off of my Sound Blaster Audigy 2ZS.

Can I just send my headphones back to Audio Technica from a repair? I think I bought mine from bluetin.com a while back. I guess I won't have music for a while. What should I do?

Sincerely,
Poor Head-fi College Student

Oct 2, 2007 at 4:23 AM Post #2 of 5
Does the "clicking" occur on bass notes only?

Could the "clicking" actually be the sound of crinkling? Could it be there's a hair stuck on/in the driver, the equivalent of the Grado grattle?

Oct 2, 2007 at 4:59 AM Post #3 of 5
If the click is only during bass heavy tacks, then I'm quite sure you have a hair or some dust stuck in your driver, I had that problem on my ES7, took it apart and did some cleaning, now its gone.
wink.gif

Do a search for "grattle" or "Athttle" as I've named it.
Athttle because its for the Audio Technica ATH series instead of Grado...
tongue.gif

Oct 2, 2007 at 8:17 PM Post #4 of 5
I tried my headphones again this morning and guess what? They seemed to be ay-okay. I guess perhaps it might have had some dust or hair in it. The Audio Technicas have have a thin layer of grill cloth over the drivers. I guess perhaps something could have gotten stuck in there. The clicking or ticking sounds was pretty constant and it was even there when I wasn't playing any music. So, I'm not sure what it was, but I'm glad that it's gone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back