my Audio-gd Roc first impressions (post 100 hours burn in)
Apr 29, 2010 at 6:44 AM Post #16 of 30
Well guys....guess what....I swapped the DacMagic with my 1.x Modified Zhalou DAC....

I popped my XLR ports back in the modified Zhalou dac (circa 2006 dac). To compare my long time favorite dac against the others with the Roc as a Preamp.....I dont remember the details on what I did to the DAC but it is v 1.x and from looking inside the chasis it has dual 2604ap opamps.

Zhalou / Roc Pre = the new Champ!

The amount of blackness and detail is amazing! For example listening to George Winston "Montana" cd (esp track 10), I could actually hear winston exhaling, every key and note I heard its reverb down to the faintest trailing sound. I have never heard such detail. I really don't know how it can get better then this.

I may have to go hunt down another zhalou for my other rig i mean dam! I knew there was a reason I kept this thing for 5 years.

Looks like I will probably have a DacMagic up for sale soon.

But I think it really is true that using the Roc can really show you what your source can or can't do!!!!

Apr 30, 2010 at 1:57 AM Post #17 of 30
Ok new comparison!

I got my mogami 1/4 to XLR balanced cables in today...all tests are in balanced configuration.

Saffire 24 DSP --> Audio-gd Roc --> speakers

vs.

Saffire 24 --> DacMagic --> speakers
Saffire 24 --> DacMagic --> Audio-gd (pre.) --> speakers
Saffire 24 --> Zhalou 1.x(txco clock & 2604) --> Audio-gd(pre.) --> speakers
Saffire 24 --> speakers

The winner and still reigning champ =
Saffire 24 --> Zhalou 1.x(txco clock & 2604) --> Audio-gd(pre.) --> speakers

--------

Here is my ranking of all of the configurations I tested:
[1]
--Saffire 24 -->Zhalou 1.x(txco clock & 2604) -->Audio-gd(pre.) -->speakers
[2]
--Saffire 24 --> DacMagic --> Audio-gd (pre.) --> speakers
[3]
--Saffire 24 --> DacMagic --> speakers
[4]
--Saffire 24 --> Audio-gd (pre.) --> speakers
[5]
--Saffire 24 --> speakers

Tomorrow = Headphone Impressions

Apr 30, 2010 at 8:36 AM Post #18 of 30
Thank you for the comparisons, its nice to see that you have almost the same impressions as me when using the pre-amp vs directly from the dac.

You really need to try a balanced audio-gd dac.
popcorn.gif

Apr 30, 2010 at 2:15 PM Post #19 of 30
Im waiting for the impressions of the Ref. 5 Dac !! A few people have them in the mail coming to them soon.
biggrin.gif

And I just checked my UPS status and it says "Adverse Weather Conditions" Argghh UPS !!!!!!! Looks like the Beyers wont be here until Monday..... UGghhghghghghgggghhhhh!!!!

Apr 30, 2010 at 5:02 PM Post #20 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by TigzStudio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Im waiting for the impressions of the Ref. 5 Dac !! A few people have them in the mail coming to them soon.
biggrin.gif

And I just checked my UPS status and it says "Adverse Weather Conditions" Argghh UPS !!!!!!! Looks like the Beyers wont be here until Monday..... UGghhghghghghgggghhhhh!!!!

That sucks for sure. Seems you have the same kind of luck that I tend to have. LOL

May 4, 2010 at 7:48 AM Post #22 of 30
I got my beyer 880 600ohms today! They look so pertty! (also got my ergo arm for my cintiq 21ux) it's too sexy not to show more then just the headphones....

some eyecandy:

amainsetup01.jpg

aDSC01372.jpg

aDSC01361.jpg

aDSC01363.jpg

Doode all I have to say is im listening like crazy and they havent even burned in... Best I have ever heard!!!! Loving it.

Saffire --> Audio-GD Roc --> Beyer 880 (600 ohms) --> happy ears!!!!

I almost start to wonder how can this possibly improve with the ref 5 in the chain.. thats how good it is sounding right now. But I have no doubt that it will.. somehow!
biggrin.gif

May 4, 2010 at 8:23 AM Post #24 of 30
I just ordered the 4-pin neutrik XLR's from amazon, speedy shipping! lol.

Anyone know the wiring of the Beyer 880s (new model) ??

Im loving how its sounds so much im afraid to touch anything lol.

I have the cardas solder, and a soldering iron... just need to figure out which wire goes where basically.... I'll do some head-fi thread hunting in search.

May 4, 2010 at 4:25 PM Post #25 of 30
Make sure first that the cable is a 4 wire affair, otherwise you cannot use a balanced connection with the stock cable.
Without a wiring diagram or user feedback the only solution is to take the cans apart and cutting the cable at the 1/4" jack end. If the wires are color coded it's easy to tell apart. If not do a continuity measurement with your multimeter to find out which wire goes where.

My suggestion is actually a full rewire.
Mogami Starquad (Canare if you want cheaper) is an excellent and cost-effective choice. There are of course many other options.
I use such a cable for my balanced K701 (w/ A-gd Roc). To avoid all unnecessary solder joints I've opted for dual entry, soldering the wires directly on the drivers.
I can only praise the result.
Even in SE mode (using adapters) the new cable makes a noticeable difference on all of my amps, biggest on Roc of course.

May 4, 2010 at 9:29 PM Post #26 of 30
Good lookin phones for sure. I bet they will really have even more dynamic sound when they are balanced. I noticed there is alot of improvement in the bass with the ATH W5000 balanced. Also noticed that the volume on the ROC could be turned down about in half when the phones are ran balanced. I bet you will be in heaven. Let us know how it turns out.

May 4, 2010 at 11:35 PM Post #27 of 30
Very helpful tips thank you! Yeah I am still hunting for some information regarding the wiring in the dt880 600 ohm cans....

May 6, 2010 at 11:25 PM Post #28 of 30
Hi Tigz,

Once you get the REF5 in the signal pathway and get your Beyers rewired you are in for another shock (a good one) ! If you think it's great now.....Congrats on a very decent system. As others have stated A-gd's R2R DAC's are a major step up compared to the run of the mill (or expensive ones for that matter) sigma delta based stuff. Of course I have the REF1 but the REF5 should give you a real large chunk of the RE1's actual performance. I bet the gap is pretty small....rough guess ? 75% of the RE1's abilities which is terrific for just under 1K USD.

You might want to start a thread in the DIY section WRT rewiring the 880's. I'm sure someone will be able to answer your questions pretty quickly. I also concur with the folks in this thread that the ROC should really make those Beyer's jump once they are re-terminated with the 4 pin. I'd definitely look for a better cable at some point down the road (for the 880's). It doesn't have to be expensive and the DIY route once you know the particulars (about the 880) leaves the cable type, conductor choice (stay way from silver plated copper ) geometry and such a pretty enticing/affordable prospect
regular_smile .gif

I'm certainly looking forward to your impressions of the RE5 , the ACSS pathway and balanced operation using the 880's.

Peete.

May 7, 2010 at 12:49 AM Post #30 of 30
The DT880 is a 3-wire design. It has left, right and ground. In the left cup you route the L's ground off off it's solder tab to the right channel (both grounds share the same solder tab). Also R's positive has a solder tab on the left driver for easier routing.

I'd say make a new cable for them. When I recabled mind I made 2 wires about a foot 1/2 longer than the rest of the cable, that way they could be twisted and routed into the right side.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back