My ath-m40x is falling apart... best upgrade?
Aug 9, 2017 at 12:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

MrDisco1

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone! The title says most of it. I've used my ath-m40x so much in the last two year that they are now falling apart entirely. They will be unusable in a week, maybe less (though I could extend that with another shot of glue, that's how far I am). Overall I loved them they were a slight but noticeable upgrade over the Sennheiser's I had before that.

I'm now looking for the next improvement in the chain. Budget has bumped up a little (I'm will to pay around 180 US/250 CAD) but most requirements stay the same. More compact and lightweight would be a great improvement though I'm not willing to sacrifice comfort or sound for it. It has to stay closed-back and be a great pairing with the direct out of an iphone and macbook, I don't want to get into amps unless I find an headphone that leaves me the extra budget to do so. I like a neutral sound or very subtle V shape for excitement.

Music taste is really all over the place. So what's out there? And thanks a ton in advance.

Aug 9, 2017 at 2:17 PM Post #2 of 7
You should check out a K553 Pro and a SoundMAGIC HP151. Both tick off many or most of your boxes and should fit within your budgetary guideline. My personal preference would be for the just ever-so-slightly v-shaped HP151. It's really good. Maybe read about these two cans and see what you think. It is possible that one could work for you. FWIW. YMMV, of course.

Aug 9, 2017 at 6:19 PM Post #3 of 7
You should check out a K553 Pro and a SoundMAGIC HP151. Both tick off many or most of your boxes and should fit within your budgetary guideline. My personal preference would be for the just ever-so-slightly v-shaped HP151. It's really good. Maybe read about these two cans and see what you think. It is possible that one could work for you. FWIW. YMMV, of course.

Hey thanks for the recommendation. The SoundMAGIC HP151definitely look interesting. Plus it seems soundmagic has done some magic with the price amazon.ca pricing while the K553 is the exact opposite. Still I'm worried that the HP151 will be a little too bulky, I'm trying bring that down from the m40x not up, or that the upgrade in sound relative to the m40x will be too debatable. Can somebody comment on these issues? I could maybe increase the budget to really fulfill these requirements. Also I'm looking at the momentum (or HD1 is that the same thing? Sennheiser's website is confusing me) over-ear and on-ear as an alternative that could maybe fulfill all of this.

Aug 9, 2017 at 9:44 PM Post #4 of 7
The HP151 is not particularly deep but it does have a fair diameter which could be more than you would like. The 'HD' terminology is confusing and is now used because of litigation in the US regarding the use of the term 'Momentum' by another party' as I understand it. That's the reason for the term, again, at least as I understand it. Totally suboptimal and very confusing for people.

Aug 9, 2017 at 10:46 PM Post #5 of 7
I use the sony mdr-1a for my closed back on the go and theyre $200 usd now but they still sell for $300 at places like best buy

As far as comfort goes mdrs are second to none imo. Maybe my hd598 are as comfortable but theyre open back.

They sound great as well.

He sold me with this review at "theyre like a bathtub full of leather jackets" lol

Last edited:
May 3, 2018 at 8:45 PM Post #6 of 7
I'm bringing this thread back from the dead since somehow I managed to make the m40x work until now. Now everything is truly broken and I need ideas again. Any new ideas of portable headphones that beat the m40 in the sub 150usd range?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back