My ATH a500 just broke =( Help please...
Jan 31, 2007 at 1:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

st_clancy

Head-Fier
I was on the comp(and watching the kids) as I hear my daughter saying I cant get it, it was her mother telling her to unlock the door. Being a good husband(and trying to avoid a conflict) I quickly take off my cans and run to the door. Somehow the coord got hooked on my shoe and I brought my cans and half the computer with me. When I got back the jack at the end of the coord was slightly bent, didn't think it would be that big of a deal I barely had to bend it back. Unfortunately, no sound! The soundcard works fine it's and x-fi xtrememusic, tried it with my wifes speakers. I plugged the headphones into my wifes speaker jack and the back of my wifes soundcard and nothing, does not work in my soundcard... The question is has anyone ever done this with these cans or similar ones... am I completely out of luck or maybe I could replace the coord(I'm willing to take things apart). Possibly bend the jack a differen't way?

Thanks in advance.

Jan 31, 2007 at 3:19 AM Post #3 of 11
Probably a broken solder joint. Not much we could tell you cept to open up the jack and see, or to bring it to someone who has experience soldering cables to jacks
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 31, 2007 at 3:33 AM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by jmmtn4aj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Probably a broken solder joint. Not much we could tell you cept to open up the jack and see, or to bring it to someone who has experience soldering cables to jacks
smily_headphones1.gif

Doing it yourself isn't that hard either...just solder three wires to three tabs and you're good to go. As long as you know how to work a soldering iron, a multimeter, and how to use heatshrink you shouldn't have a problem putting it back together again.

Feb 2, 2007 at 3:45 AM Post #5 of 11
I did try soldering the wires to the jack myself in class today, with no luck. I need to buy a new jack in the first place and a 'harness' if thats what it's called because I chopped mine to pieces taking it apart. Does anyone know any good links for "do it yourself" guide? Or possibly a place like Radio Shack if they do things like that? Lastly, maybe someone that likes to mod/fix headphones that might be willing to do this, I would pay shipping, parts and yes even labor if need be hehe. It's a good thing I bought a pair of DY 770 pro/80 otherwise I would be feeling miserable right now.
eggosmile.gif
I figured worst case scenario I could try the 3 factorial different positions of wires until I get it right... Thanks for the replies!

Feb 2, 2007 at 4:10 AM Post #6 of 11
Yeah, don't try to use the existing plug. It's probably covered in solder and it'll be hard to work with.

Go to your local Radio Shack and pick up a new plug. They're like $3. I would get a 1/4" one because home amps generally use 1/4" jacks and they're also bigger and easier to work with.

Here is a little drawing I did illustrating a simple cable mod I made a while ago. For your purposes, just ignore the "resistors" and solder the correct wires to the correct tab on the plug. Make sure you know which wire is right, left, and ground (same with the tab).

headphonecable.png

After soldering everything together, heatshrink each individual wire/tab so that no metal is showing. That'll prevent it from shorting. Try to plan out your what you're going to do before you do it, otherwise you'll have to take it apart and start over.

Good luck!

Feb 2, 2007 at 4:37 AM Post #7 of 11
AWESOME PICTURE LOL

yeah and u can get the STEREO plug from radio shack for like under $5. under the GOLD Series label, there's one w/ soldering points and another one w/ little screws to connect the ground, left channel, and right channel.

EDIT
Make sure u get teh STEREO labeled one. Or else you'll have to find that receipt and exchange that mono plug.

Feb 2, 2007 at 8:19 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zuerst /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cut

Solder

Heat Shrink

cut - done

solder - will do

heat shrink - what do I use to do this? and is there an explaination on how this is done? Also on the 1/4" will this fit into my sound card that I use... x-fi xtrememusic I believe is a 3.5mm or do I just buy an adapter and will these decrease the quality of sound? Thanks for the replies all.

Feb 2, 2007 at 10:58 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by st_clancy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
cut - done

solder - will do

heat shrink - what do I use to do this? and is there an explaination on how this is done? Also on the 1/4" will this fit into my sound card that I use... x-fi xtrememusic I believe is a 3.5mm or do I just buy an adapter and will these decrease the quality of sound? Thanks for the replies all.

Heatshrinking is simple...just buy various sizes of heatshrink at your local Radio Shack and cut them to size. Put them loosely onto the wires where they're going to go first. Then solder. After you're done solder, place the heatshrink tubes where you want them and heat them with a lighter. They should shrink and wrap to the wires.

The heatshrink planning step, however, is crucial. Make sure you have all the heatshrink tubes cut and placed on the wires before you start soldering. If you miss one, you'll have to cut the wire and solder it again. I'm tempted to draw another picture for you because I know you're going to mess up, especially if this is your first time working with cable.

The 1/4" plug won't fit in a 3.5mm jack (3.5mm = 1/8") so you'll need an adapter. And no, adapters generally don't decrease sound quality at all.

Feb 4, 2007 at 4:09 AM Post #11 of 11
A picture would help, lol. I tried doing everything you stated, i bought the heat shrink and everything and forgot to put it on, so I went ahead and soldered and everything, no sound no pop no crackle no nothing. It may be shorting but i figured I would hear something like a pop. My big problem is I don't have a multimeter, even if I did I wouldn't know how to use it, well the 3 wires are red, green, and gold. I think the gold is ground, I'm just taking a guess, the other thing is there is no insulation around each wire, the wire itself is actually colored 'red' or 'green', unless this is some type of 'painted' insulation and if so I'm not even sure how to deal with this.

My next step is to cut and re-solder everything and put the heat shrink on and see if that does anything. If I still don't hear any sound do I just switch the wires around? Thanks all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back