My ATH-A100Tis..sigh..
Nov 14, 2002 at 2:53 PM Post #31 of 42
ablaze
HI: If you don't like the AT cans while they are fairly new you should have not problem selling them for near what you paid for them.
PS
What I said is that the back pad under the ear pads are thin like a womens stocking.

Nov 14, 2002 at 5:20 PM Post #32 of 42
Quote:

Originally posted by LTUCCI1924
ablaze
HI: If you don't like the AT cans while they are fairly new you should have not problem selling them for near what you paid for them.
PS
What I said is that the back pad under the ear pads are thin like a womens stocking.

but there's a dink on the left cup
frown.gif

oops. misunderstood that bit about the stockings
tongue.gif

Nov 14, 2002 at 5:24 PM Post #33 of 42
Quote:

Originally posted by Hirsch
What you're hearing is not so much the headphone as the limitation of your sound card as a source. Also, the headphone is going to need to burn in before it will perform optimally. Finally, you're going to notice different aspects of its sound as you get used to using them. This process can take weeks. Be patient. Only use the AT cans. Then try to go back to your old ones, and see if you notice the difference.

FWIW one of my cats really loves the cable on my R10, and will find all sorts of interesting ways to attack it. This doesn't make me happy. There's a spray you can get that is supposed to repel the critters, so I'm going to try it on the R10 cable.

Incidentally, I once bent over too close to a lamp, while wearing the R10, and banged into the lamp pole. The sound of wood hitting metal makes a very interesting sound, amplified by the chamber...but not as interesting as the sound my heart made! Luckily, the finish of the R10 was not damaged at all. But there were a few nasty moments...

will take note of that Hirsch.

cat spray? haha. i do have a canister of that at home. maybe maybe
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 14, 2002 at 5:42 PM Post #34 of 42
ablaze, I don't think I mentioned my disaster. I was happily listening to my new ATH-A100Tis on a flight back from Australia when the flight attendant came walking down the aisle and caught his foot in my cord, which (probably due to the semi-flexy non-twisting cable) had spilled into the aisle. Apart from hurting me it bent the plug right off, I had to solder on a new cable. No more neat AT converting plug for me.
I too found them a little bright to start with but they broke in a bit, or more likely I got used to them. I really like them now, when I have space in a flight bag they are my favorite flying phones, because you can easily take them off to talk to people, much easier than extracting and reinserting the Etymotics. They are great at work too, in fact I leave them at the office.

Nov 14, 2002 at 6:14 PM Post #35 of 42
aeberbach

man, not only did you answer my unasked question about how these were at work, but you gave me yet another reason to buy them.
biggrin.gif

what kind of leakage do they have on planes? have neighboring passengers ever told you to turn it down?

thanks!! altho my bank acct isnt going to be happy with you.

***woohooo!!! wow, i hit 100...500 here i come***

Nov 14, 2002 at 6:45 PM Post #36 of 42
Quote:

Originally posted by aeberbach
ablaze, I don't think I mentioned my disaster. I was happily listening to my new ATH-A100Tis on a flight back from Australia when the flight attendant came walking down the aisle and caught his foot in my cord, which (probably due to the semi-flexy non-twisting cable) had spilled into the aisle. Apart from hurting me it bent the plug right off, I had to solder on a new cable. No more neat AT converting plug for me.
I too found them a little bright to start with but they broke in a bit, or more likely I got used to them. I really like them now, when I have space in a flight bag they are my favorite flying phones, because you can easily take them off to talk to people, much easier than extracting and reinserting the Etymotics. They are great at work too, in fact I leave them at the office.

thanks for consoling me aeberbach. hehe.
tongue.gif

Nov 14, 2002 at 6:56 PM Post #37 of 42
blaze - to remove the chink - go to a hardware or automotive store and buy one of those suction cups. spit on it. apply to chink and pull it out.

as to the scratch - get one of the automotive scratch kits, either the stick ($14.95) or the waxy type and polish away the scratch.

ah, blaze, they're called works of ART . now you know why. now imagine that you had the woodies and you dropped them! heart attack! i can see myself polishing them woodies once a week with lemon pledge.

hirsch, i laughed out loud when i read your response, "the sound of wood hitting metal..." doh!

blaze, you say "damn my ears"? seems like your 'upgrade path' is about to start. first you'll notice badly recorded material. then you'll notice things like guitars not sounding right. so you'll get a better cd player (nad/teac/onkyo/adcom, etc). then you'll get into amps. and then you'll end up with 3 or 4 recordings of the same thing (like Holtz's the Planets, or the Grand Canyon Suite).

to train your ears - listen to accapellas. or single instruments, like violins (what's that girl's name who plays a great violin?). listen to LIVE recordings.

then you'll start to get into hi-bit dvd's and scad & dvd-a...

it never ends. (i suggest you visit a couple of trade-in posts to get the best value for your money).

but like a good hike in Glacier Park, there are good sights ALL along the way. and while headphones are expensive, the hobby is no where near as expensive as the best speakers with the best amps.

forget a headphone cover. make a hardcase for them babies. and when the cable breaks, convert the a100ti's to plug-in type at the transducer end.

Nov 14, 2002 at 7:01 PM Post #38 of 42
nanahachi, these are the most sealed headphones I have ever owned. Hardly any noise leaks at all and I think the sound level would have to be dangerous before it bothered someone sitting next to you. Apart from being relatively big these are great phones for flying.

Another reason they are great at work is that it's really obvious you are wearing headphones. Maybe people think twice about asking a dumb question when they can see form afar that you have great big blue things on your head. Sometimes I sit there with the headphones on and no music, they are comfortable enough and they really help make a noisy officemate bearable.

Nov 14, 2002 at 7:14 PM Post #39 of 42
aeberbach

thats awesome, thanks!! hopefully someone will sell their 100s in order to get the new 1000s, muahaha...

i wonder if that great isolation/leakage is also true of the w1000s, A1000s. anyone have any ideas?

i think i need to do some searching and reading about ATs...but if someone has a guess (maybe based on the woody W100s) how the leakage is for other AT closed phones, i would appreciate it

Nov 14, 2002 at 8:17 PM Post #40 of 42
aeberbach,
I plan to take my A100ti on the plane very soon. I know that it has excellent isolation, but how good does it isolate the engine noise? Thanks.

Nov 14, 2002 at 8:36 PM Post #41 of 42
It worked for me. Put them on and go stand by a busy highway, that should give you some idea. Less than Etymotics but more than any other passive solution, how about that?

Nov 14, 2002 at 10:30 PM Post #42 of 42
Quote:

Originally posted by Hirsch
Finally, you're going to notice different aspects of its sound as you get used to using them. This process can take weeks. Be patient. Only use the AT cans. Then try to go back to your old ones, and see if you notice the difference.

I fully agree with Hirsch here. The differences can, at times, be very subtle, and if you keep switching back and forth in the beginning you will probably not get the best impression of them. DarkAngel said the same thing when breaking in and using his VD cables, after listning to them for a while he switched back to his old reference cables and was then able to really recognize the differences. Sometimes those less than tangible differences are quite dramatic when you do this and make a sudden change that your ears pick up, but you can't identify right away. The difference might be that the new ones sound lifeless, cold, dry, distant, or whatever other adjective you want to use.

Who's gonna start a thread now on "The Worst Headphone Experiences"? Sounds like Aerbach already has a winner on his hands!! (Sorry, didn't mean to derail this great thread, just pontificating!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back