My AOS Flute has arrived...
Jan 26, 2005 at 11:15 PM Post #31 of 48
AOS and I compared the Flute to my Dynahi + DAC1 setup, and felt the Flute faired very well. Full disclosure, I am a manufacturer of Dynahi amplifiers, I like the DAC1, and I would consider AOS a friend of mine. However as many know, I also call a spade a spade.

As you may all know the Flute can also be used as a DAC. Simply put, maxing the Flute's volume results in it outputting a line-level signal. Exactly the same as a traditional DAC.

Listening to the Flute utilizing Audio Technica ATH-W2002 (My reference) I found the Flute had excellent transparency, and speed. The digital volume control was very seemless in that the steps are 0.5dB. The attenuation system did not make any audible sound as volume was changed. However, it did not have the frontal soundstaging that I am partial to. Interestingly it did possess a very "airy" presentation. This, of course is due to its speed. Comparing the Flute's amplifier vs. the Dynahi's (both fed by the Flute's DAC) I found the Dynahi possessed superior PRaT (Pace, Rhythm and Timing), as well as more bass slam. The Dynahi also had superior frontal imaging. However, they resembled eachother somewhat in their detail, and ability to easily separate instruments. I felt the Flute may have had superior separation between channels. Interestingly, when AOS and I RMAA'd the Dynahi (1212m) we found just that. The Flute measured incredibly well in all regards, especially noise. Including very low crosstalk between channels. (I suspect this may be due to the Alps' pot, my stepped attenuators had not arrived at that time). That is not to say the Dynahi's crosstalk is actually audible, it's not. It is more a feeling of separation between channels. I felt the Dynahi's treble was more extended, however in some way, the Flute's treble sounded very pleasant. Perhaps more so than the Dynahi's. However, this does not change the fact that the instrument separation, speed, and feeling of "ease" at which the Dynahi produces sound is not very apparent. I felt both had excellent bass, but again, the Dynahi seemed to give an "Electrostatic-like" ease with which it produces bass. I felt the Flute's bass might have been a bit boomy, but this is in comparison to a $1500 amplifier! Bare in mind, this is utilizing the Flute's DAC for both the Dynahi and Flute. Keep in mind also the flute draws milliwatts, the Dynahi draws over a hundred watts!
eek.gif

The cables used were Nordost SPM Reference (Thanks GoRedWings19!), the source is AOS' high-end Sony changer.

The Flute is the absolute best portable I have ever used. It is also an excellent DAC. I would not hesitate to recommend the Flute to anyone looking for a DAC, especially a DAC+amp combination.

Jan 27, 2005 at 12:20 AM Post #32 of 48
Can you roll opamps with the Flute? What opamp is used in shipping?

dshea

Jan 27, 2005 at 12:42 AM Post #34 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer
It uses TI's new integrated headphone amp chip, so there are no conventional opamps to be rolled.

Well actually, it probably has an opamp or two in the LP filter and maybe something for the virtual ground.

Stu

Jan 27, 2005 at 2:19 AM Post #36 of 48
There really aren't any opamps - LP filter is all passive. Virtual ground driver is technically a CFB buffer though it can be thought as an opamp.

Jan 27, 2005 at 3:37 PM Post #38 of 48
After reading the information on the site, I didn't see any opamp information, so I suspected there may not be an opamp rolling possiblity. I have the Piccolo and find it to be a wonderful portable DAC. I guess I was just fishing to see if there was a different opamp in the flute that I might try in my Piccolo.

I bug AOS enough with email questions, so I was posing my question in a way to find out if there was a new opamp I might try in my Piccolo, but also for the community to know if their were rolling possibilties.
tongue.gif

dshea

Jan 27, 2005 at 4:01 PM Post #39 of 48
The Picollo does not have an amp section while the Flute does. It uses the TPA6120A amp. Do a search on here, there is a thread about it which goes into detail why this little amp is so astounding.
cool.gif

Because of this there is no point in opamp rolling even if it was possible, because every other opamp would be a downgrade.
evil_smiley.gif

EDIT: Here is that thread I was talking about...

Jan 27, 2005 at 5:44 PM Post #40 of 48
Thanks very much, TrevorNetwork.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer
How does it compare to the DAC1, both used as both DAC and AMP?

AOS you've got email on the same topic
biggrin.gif

This is also what I'm curious about.

Jan 27, 2005 at 6:08 PM Post #41 of 48
Comparing the Flute to the DAC1. That's fairly difficult. I would say the DAC1 has superior speed,imaging, and soundstage size. However, the Flute has the same amount of detail, same amount of both bass and treble extension. I feel the Flute has superior treble response; it is simply more natural sounding. The Flute also seems to have the same neutral sounding midrange of the DAC1. The Flute also excels in size, and portability. It is my feeling the Flute is probably a superior headphone amplifier, and an inferior DAC in comparison to the DAC1. Generally speaking, in relative terms, if the DAC1 were a 10 as a headamp-DAC the Flute would be an 8. I feel many people would find the Flute to be a superior headamp-DAC due to its more pleasing treble. However, the DAC1's DAC is king as far as I'm concerned.

Jan 27, 2005 at 6:39 PM Post #42 of 48
The Flute doesn't have any jitter reduction, though, right? That could mean that a Flute vs. DAC1 comparison would be very different depending on what transport you're using. By that logic, they should sound more similar with a good transport and the DAC1 should have an advantage when using a cheap transport.

Jan 27, 2005 at 10:55 PM Post #43 of 48
There's some lament here about using this with an iPod - is there some reason the dock line out or the Sik Din won't work? Please forgive me, I'm still a bit of a noob.

Thanks.

Jan 27, 2005 at 10:59 PM Post #44 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by bobeau
There's some lament here about using this with an iPod - is there some reason the dock line out or the Sik Din won't work? Please forgive me, I'm still a bit of a noob.

The AOS Flute can only take a digital signal. The iPod does not have a digital out.
frown.gif

Jan 27, 2005 at 11:00 PM Post #45 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by bobeau

Thanks.

DAC = digital to analog converter.

the ipod, when using a sik din or a pocketdock, will send an analog line out signal. something like the flute needs a digital out signal, because its main purpose is to create a good analog signal from the digital information. the ipod currently has no means to get that digital signal out - its internal DAC does the conversion to analog before it hits the line out.

therefore, to use the AOS flute or any other external DAC, the ipod needs to have a digital out - something that bypasses the internal DAC so the Flute can do the conversion instead. but the ipod doesn't have a digital line out, so BAH on the ipod.

think of it this way - the ipod without a sik din or a pocketdock is equally screwed when it comes to amplification. an external amp plugged into the headphone amp is actually being amped twice - once by the ipod's internal amp and attentuated, then again thru the external headphone amp. the point of line out is to bypass that internal attenuated ipod amplification signal.

some people are perfectly happy with the ipod's internal amp and DAC. but on this forum you'll find folks wanting an external amp and DAC to improve the signal that reaches your headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back