My AOS Flute has arrived...
Jan 25, 2005 at 4:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 48

philodox

Headphoneus Supremus
WOW

This little thing is a powerhouse. I was worried at first that it would not be able to drive my K340's, but no problem here. It is at max volume, but my K340's are singing and if it were any louder It would be painfull. Did I mention no distortion at max volume?
smily_headphones1.gif

I first listened to Rachel's song from Vangelis' Bladerunner and the purity of tone in her voice was incredible.

I am now listening to Being in Love by Songs: Ohia and the nice bass backdrop and organ sounds are alive like never before.

Anyone who says that APS MP3's are lo-fi has not heard them from a great MP3 source in my opinion. The Flute has transformed my AV320 into a portable source that kicks some major ass. It's pretty cool that I can drive the K340's with something smaller than a pack of cigarettes as well.
cool.gif

More impressions will come as the music plays...
biggrin.gif

EDIT: For more thoughts on my K340's go here.

Jan 25, 2005 at 1:33 PM Post #2 of 48
Nice! Yes keep us informed about your further impressions, and post some pics.
icon10.gif
I am curious about the FLUTE Amp also. Do you have any
other portable headphone amps to compare the Flute against (I am curious how it sounds compared to the SR-71 and the SuperMacro amps.)

How are you powering your AOS FLUTE Amp? Are you using a Mains Power
Adapter, or are you using the battery power pack?

Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
It is at max volume, but my K340's are singing and if it were any louder It would be painfull. Did I mention no distortion at max volume?
smily_headphones1.gif

Do you mean your akg k340's are at max volume, or your Archos AV320?

Thanks!

Jan 25, 2005 at 4:00 PM Post #3 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by rab10
Nice! Yes keep us informed about your further impressions, and post some pics

I'll try to get some tonight. Last night it was all about listening.
wink.gif
Quote:

I am curious about the FLUTE Amp also. Do you have any other portable headphone amps to compare the Flute against (I am curious how it sounds compared to the SR-71 and the SuperMacro amps.)

No, but I dont think that other amp comparisons would be worthwhile unless done with a Picollo as the Flute is an Amp and Source upgrade.
smily_headphones1.gif
Quote:

How are you powering your AOS FLUTE Amp? Are you using a Mains Power Adapter, or are you using the battery power pack?

Unfortunately I am just using the wallwart right now as the PowerRunner battery packs that I bought do not come with the correct adapter for the Flute. I am going to have a look around in Toronto at lunch today and see what I can find. Quote:

Do you mean your akg k340's are at max volume, or your Archos AV320?

I mean the Flute is at max volume. The AV320's volume is irrelevant when using the Flute as it does not have any control over the analog side.
cool.gif

--------------------

One cool thing that I forgot to comment on was the awesome volume control. It does not have a stop point. It just keeps going round and round until you reach max volume and then keeps going... if it makes you feel better to turn it.
tongue.gif

It turns with little steps just like a full sized analog stepped attenuator. The power is also controlled by the knob. You push it in and rotate it a bit to turn the Flute on or off.

In the interest of a complete review I dropped my Flute hard on my bathroom floor last night... ok, I won't lie, the little bugger slipped as I was juggling too much kit and tried to turn off the light. It works perfectly still and has nothing but a minor ding on the back faceplate. This baby is built to last!
icon10.gif

It was able to take everything that I threw at it last night with the exception of maybe Asian Dub Foundation where I could have used a little more volume, but I was driving my 400 ohm K340's, so that is to be expected.

I will try to get the power adapter situation figured out today so that I can have more impressions with my K271S' as they are the primary headphone that I will be using with the Flute.

Jan 25, 2005 at 6:00 PM Post #4 of 48
Philodox you have some PM.
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Unfortunately I am just using the wallwart right now as
the PowerRunner battery packs that I bought do not come with the correct
adapter for the Flute. I am going to have a look around in Toronto at lunch today and see what I can find..

Is there a RadioShack (or a place like it) in Toronto?

I have and use the PowerRunner Model 2, PR-22XX 18W with 9V max power bank, I use it to power my vintage power hungry Sony Portable CD Players, and I found that my Local Radio Shack store sells Radioshack
branded "Adaptaplug" 2 pole prong tips that are compatible with the
PowerRunner power bank. They work fine with my PowerRunner and haven't had any problems with my Sony Players.

Do you have the 12V max powered PowerRunner? Or can the AOS Flute run off of 9V, 18W power?

Quote:

I dropped my Flute hard on my bathroom floor last night... It works perfectly still... This baby is built to last!
icon10.gif

Sorry to hear about that, but great news that it is built to last!

Looking forward to more comments about the Flute and possible pics.

Thanks.

Jan 25, 2005 at 6:23 PM Post #5 of 48
Quote:

Philodox you have some PM.

I saw that
smily_headphones1.gif

I will answer it after my lunch break, it looks like you have a few questions...
tongue.gif
Quote:

Is there a RadioShack (or a place like it) in Toronto?

AOS suggested the same thing to me and I am going to one at lunch to see what I can find. Quote:

Do you have the 12V max powered PowerRunner?

Yep, I bought two of them so that I can hook one up to my av320 as well and swap them if necissary [if the flute runs out of juice] Quote:

Looking forward to more comments about the Flute and possible pics.

I'll try to get some good ones tonight. I will take some with my av320 and some with my wifes ipod for scale.
wink.gif

Jan 25, 2005 at 7:42 PM Post #6 of 48
Well, I found the adapter and should be able to listen to it on the commute home now. All is well.
icon10.gif

Jan 25, 2005 at 7:53 PM Post #7 of 48
I was listening to a final version of the Flute at AOS' home yesterday, and needless to say I was blown away. What a phenomenal sounding product. The Flute is by some margin the best portable amplifier I have ever heard. Nevermind the excellent DAC!
eek.gif
Enjoy this one guys! AOS has put alot of work into this product.

Jan 25, 2005 at 8:04 PM Post #8 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by TrevorNetwork
The Flute is by some margin the best portable amplifier I have ever heard. Nevermind the excellent DAC!

My sentiments exactly Trevor.
icon10.gif

I recieved a PM from rab10 and thought that I would share it here as it is Flute related. I am omitting his questions that deal strictly with my old Art DI/O DAC:

--------------------
Quote:

I am interested in a DAC for some audio digital line out playback equipment. I noticed that you just got a AOS FLUTE, I also commented in your original thread about the Flute DAC/AMP.

The Flute is a great little device, but it only has digital in and only has headphone out. Because of this it must act as a DAC and an Amp and can't be used as either one independantly. The Flute's DAC section is identical to that used in the AOS Picollo, so that might be an option for you. Quote:

Do you still have your Art DI/O? Are you still using it?

No, I sold my Art DI/O a while back. I can honestly say that with my limited memory that the Flute sounds just as good if not better. [possibly due to the 'hot' output] - And my Art DI/O had some mods done to it. Quote:

I noticed that you were using your Archos player with the ART DI/O Sample Rate Converter. What was your setup and how did that setup work for you. Now that you have your AOS FLUTE DAC/AMP does this replace your ART DI/O device, etc.

As I said, I sold my Art DI/O a while back, but if I still had it the Flute would replace it. The Flute sounds better than my Art DI/O combined with a nearly maxed out PIMETA. I am still on the lookout for another amp, but that is only for my K340's as they need so much power. I can't forsee ever needing to upgrade from the Flute for use with my K271S'.

Jan 25, 2005 at 8:08 PM Post #9 of 48
Bare in mind AOS has performed modifications to the Flute. It is my understanding that although the Piccolo's DAC is nearly identical, the performance of the Flute's DAC is superior. Where the Flute really runs away from the pack is its headphone amplifier. Now that is impressive.

Jan 25, 2005 at 9:20 PM Post #10 of 48
Quote:

The Flute is a great little device, but it only has digital in and only has headphone out. Because of this it must act as a DAC and an Amp and can't be used as either one independantly.

Phil, Looks like from AOS's site it says that you can use as a stand alone DAC...

Quote:

Originally Posted by http://aoselectronics.com/flute.html
Flute can be used as a DAC using the same jack that is used for headphones. Unlike a typical portable, with TPA6120A being a current feedback amplifier - which are often used to drive cables - and thanks to its high performance, there is no loss in performance; it's effectively a real line out too.

I would so get one of these if Apple would get their stuff in gear and offer an optical out. Not worth settling for another portable.
tongue.gif

Jan 25, 2005 at 9:32 PM Post #11 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by TrevorNetwork
Where the Flute really runs away from the pack is its headphone amplifier. Now that is impressive.

Don't forget the digital stepped attenuation.
biggrin.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by JHouser
Phil, Looks like from AOS's site it says that you can use as a stand alone DAC...

Not possible.
wink.gif

You could use it as a DAC+Preamp perhaps, but there is no way to _only_ use the DAC as there are no line level outs. Quote:

Originally Posted by JHouser
I would so get one of these if Apple would get their stuff in gear and offer an optical out. Not worth settling for another portable.

The ipod is great because of ease of use, but I'm not your average user... I'd rather have power/features/performance. That is how I made my choice for a portable.
tongue.gif

My wife LOVES her ipod though, and I can see why.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 25, 2005 at 10:42 PM Post #12 of 48
I am not sure how anyone could be happy that they have to max out their amp in order to use it. That's like saying my car redlines at 60 MPH in the highest gear and since this works, I am happy with it. Clearly the amp is underpowered or not the right choice for your equipment.

Jan 25, 2005 at 10:46 PM Post #13 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by sygyzy
I am not sure how anyone could be happy that they have to max out their amp in order to use it. That's like saying my car redlines at 60 MPH in the highest gear and since this works, I am happy with it. Clearly the amp is underpowered or not the right choice for your equipment.

I think you misunderstand. The AOS Flute is not underpowered by any means.

I bought the Flute to use with my av320 and my K271S'. If I listened at full volume through my K271S' I would kill myself. It this, its intended application, it is completely successfull.

It is just a bonus that it works with the K340's as well. I seriously doubt that there are many portable amps out there that can say that much. The K340's are notoriously hard to drive and it is astounding that the Flute can even pull it off.

EDIT: You know the K340's are 400 ohms right?
evil_smiley.gif

Jan 25, 2005 at 10:49 PM Post #14 of 48
hmm! if i ever got a portable player with a digital out i would consider this! good impressions!

Jan 25, 2005 at 10:59 PM Post #15 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn
good impressions

Thanks, now that I've got it all set up in my traveller bag I should have some good portable impressions with the PowerRunner battery pack and my K271S'. I'll try to listen to a variety of music on my 2hr commute home.
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back