My amplifier search is over...
Nov 13, 2005 at 4:54 AM Post #46 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by KenW
As for the L3000's, I'm curious but just a bit concerned about their "defect". Would like to hear what all the fuss is about. It was sort of the same with the PS-1. Heard all the talk and just had to see for myself. Somewhere, I snatch a pair for a listen and hey, who knows, it might be for me.

Yeah, I'll ask about the demo but you know I'll probably feel it's a bit sterile or bright for my tastes. SS and tender ears....
frown.gif

Justin tells me it will be a bit before the new balanced offering is ready. Same for Mikhail's. Hey, I've waited this long. Might as well just hold the fort and see how these pan out. Until I get a chance to hear a balanced rig, it's going to haunt me and be relentless. Of course, that leads me to a balanced source....
blink.gif
blink.gif

Couldn't you get your sony cdp modded? I am sure it would be possible from the people who modded it originally. This would save you looking for a balanced source and if you already like the sound should suit your preferences.

Nov 13, 2005 at 5:04 AM Post #47 of 53
Well, I heard a hell of a lot of other amp/phone combinations at the meet today, including the legendary Orpheus and infamous Qualias. I didn't get the Qualia's - just thin, fast but thin.

The Orpheus was spellbinding in so many ways, but what was strange is that I ended up by aural choice going back to my system, and actually spent the majority of my listening time with this beast. I may have been biased because it's mine, but I honestly wouldn't trade my system for the Orpheus even at the same price (except for resale potential...
very_evil_smiley.gif
). I just love it. And so did a few other people too...!

Nov 13, 2005 at 5:31 PM Post #48 of 53
I listened for an hour this morning, and realised that this amp has done what no other preceding it has ever done in my system - it disappears. It's the first time in a long time I stopped thinking about the sonic qualities of what I was hearing. It was just right - every instrument was where it was supposed to be, the timbre was spot on and I was just able to relax and appreciate the genius of what I was actually listening to (Bach). That is an experience I've not had since I owned QUAD 988 electrostatic loudspeakers, and have been looking for it ever since in a smaller package, without avail. Well I'm not looking any more, because I found it! Yeah!

I don't think that balanced mode magically turns 650's into a whole other kind of can though. It exhibits most of the same qualities in single ended mode, but just without that disappearing magic. When I switch to balanced mode, I lose that sense of having a headphone driver right next to my ear drum pushing air at me, and am just enveloped by a wash of sound. And what pure sound it is! It's just perfect. Thank you HeadRoom.

Nov 13, 2005 at 10:50 PM Post #50 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSloth
I listened for an hour this morning, and realised that this amp has done what no other preceding it has ever done in my system - it disappears.

Heh, that's what we're all looking for!
biggrin.gif

Nov 14, 2005 at 8:49 AM Post #53 of 53
Take your time. Enjoy your new toy. These guys can wait. After all, if they really want to know they can go buy one. You? You've got your whole recording library to re-explore.

very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back