My Altec Lansing 5021's Are Spanking My New Bookshelf Speakers
Dec 29, 2004 at 3:47 AM Post #16 of 33
Dec 29, 2004 at 3:57 AM Post #17 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xeo
Ok I'll give that a try.

In addition, I think I'm going to drop the cambridge soundworks because I've reallized two things. The first is that this 10" sub has barely any bass extension. Both the small 6.5" subwoofers that came with my previous two altec lansings go way deeper than this honker, lol. Frustrating. The second thing is that this woofer is SLOW. It's a power sub so the I dont think the problem is insufficient power. The bass is always almost .25 seconds behind the music if it becomes percussive or quick. I think I'm going to have to get a different sub to complete the package.

I'm kindof changing the topic now, but based on my experience with the two altec lansing subwoofers, small woofers in medium sized enclosures seem to go super deep, are very fast and tight, and have that punch which I love. Does this have to do with the woofer and enclosure size or is this just another "altec lansing" characteristic, similar to the colorization of their multimedia speakers?

Actually, you're confusing "deep bass" with "overboosted, bloated, one-note bass." That little 6.5" woofer in those Altecs effectively cannot reproduce anything below 50 to 60 Hz - at least not in that small enclosure. Worse, in such a small box, everything between 80Hz and 150Hz is seriously overboosted relative to the rest of the audible spectrum.

As for the "SLOW"ness of the Infinity subwoofer, well, DUH! Everything else being equal, big woofers will ALWAYS be "S-L-O-W"er than small woofers!

Dec 29, 2004 at 4:24 AM Post #18 of 33
The infinity could have more serious problems than that. Phase slope and group delay can be playing a serious role depending on the alignment of the sub's port.

Dec 29, 2004 at 5:16 AM Post #19 of 33
If the Altec Lansing speakers sound better to you, don't question your ears and start searching for additional gear to make everything sound better. Just get rid of the Infinity Primus 150s and be done with it.

The Infinity Primus are not intended for use up close like you're using them, whereas the computer speakers were intended for use like that. The Primuses will likely sound too bright on-axis. If they had great off-axis dispersion this wouldn't be an issue, but these are pretty inexpensive speakers. On the plus side, they don't appear to have much baffle step compensation, so putting them on your computer desk close to a back wall is probably okay.

Don't start spending a lot of extra money on amps or subwoofers in order to compensate for flaws in cheap speakers. It's not worth it. I've been on that road myself. You'll never win. Sell or return the Primuses and save up for a pair of slightly more expensive speakers that you have an opportunity to audition first.

Dec 29, 2004 at 5:28 AM Post #20 of 33
I don't think his amp was a bad choice, however. It will definitely keep for a while.

Dec 29, 2004 at 5:42 AM Post #21 of 33
Ah, I'm not going to get rid of the speakers because the "flat" response is what I need. I bought them because I beginning to make music on a new computer and I wanted a flat sound for mixing purposes. I just never realized how much a difference there would be.

Eagle driver, since bigger drivers are always slower than smaller ones, does that mean the the smaller variety are better for being integrated with music? With my current setup, the cambridge 10" sub is just a nuisance, and I need a sub that's "musical", not slow and room shaking.

I'm making techno/trance/psy/etc... so, fast midbass and bass response is a necessity, and the primus dont cut it by themselves.

Dec 29, 2004 at 5:44 AM Post #22 of 33
Actually, judging from the Stereophile measurements, these speakers have an excellent off-axis response, at least horizontally. Vertically they're not so good. Try mounting the Primuses so their tweeters are at ear-level, and point them forward, not angled towards you. That might improve the sound.

If your receiver has a built-in crossover (and it probably does), use that with the sub. You'll want to cross at 100Hz or 120Hz with these speakers.

Still, trust your ears. If after everything you still prefer the Altecs, trust your ears.

Dec 29, 2004 at 5:53 AM Post #24 of 33
Dont want to come off as a nay sayer, but its a good idea to listen to stuff before you buty. Saying you bought them because everyone says they're good doesnt mean you will like them too.

Dec 29, 2004 at 5:54 AM Post #25 of 33
MCG,

What Totems is your friend using?

To these ears (my opinion, blah blah), the F-10 is flat out horrible when driving main speakers by themselves. If the speakers are set to large - than the bass is incredibly sloppy and the mids are almost completely compromised. Put it on small, and everything sounds "thin". I have yet to find a decent middle ground when trying to run just two speakers by themselves without a sub.

On the other hand, throw a sub into the mix and set the speakers on small and things are ok. Anyone else feel the same or am I just alone in this camp ?from the same link

Dec 29, 2004 at 6:50 AM Post #26 of 33
I'm not getting this incredibly sloppy bass here on my end with my es1sl. Especially with my mbow1 on large, the bass is fast and snappy. Do read the several threads on the f10 and es1sl on audiocircle. IMO, this is definitely a nice amp and I personally have no urge to upgrade until I save up a thousand dollars or two for a nice used one. Or build an aksa 55n+.

Dec 29, 2004 at 8:21 AM Post #27 of 33
esl1 vs f10? not the same or is it? someone in the threads was going to upgrade his f10 to a sonic t amp with batteries 55$. so now a days u can get better sound by spending less
biggrin.gif
the oldtimers must be confused and envious
biggrin.gif

Dec 29, 2004 at 9:05 AM Post #28 of 33
One is the discontinued model, the other is the replacement. I've got a sonic impact running off of batteries right here and it's nice but there's no chance I'm replacing my jvc with the sonic impact. What are you confused about? Have you heard either?

Forget it, there's no point in arguing over this. I haven't heard the speakers anyway.

Dec 29, 2004 at 11:53 PM Post #29 of 33
Quote:

Eagle driver, since bigger drivers are always slower than smaller ones, does that mean the the smaller variety are better for being integrated with music? With my current setup, the cambridge 10" sub is just a nuisance, and I need a sub that's "musical", not slow and room shaking.

The "big woofer = slow woofer" is really a myth that I hear mentioned alot.

There are a few reasons this is believed:
-For one, many manufacturers will use similar motors on their 10/12" drivers as their 15", resulting in insufficient control of the cone.

-Larger woofers need larger boxes to perform well, so if you pop them into a similar size box as a 12 or 10", the woofer won't be adequately damped. This results in sloppy, muddy bass.

-As well, 8" woofers often sound cleaner because they don't attempt the deep bass that larger drivers do. Take a 15" sub and strip away all the very deep frequencies (below 40Hz or so) and it will sound tight and punchy too.

My 15" sub sounds much more musical than most other subs I've heard.

Dec 31, 2004 at 5:00 AM Post #30 of 33
no argument here. not heard the jvc amp, how does it compare to a low end Rotel or Nad amp, sound wise? our latest technoligies have gone to the budjet sector and NOT to the high end, we now can have a great sounding system for not that much money, that would be the reason older audio philes would be envious.
eggosmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back