My Alessandro MS-100 -- Yes, 100 -- not 1000!
Jun 30, 2009 at 3:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

kmhaynes

Headphoneus Supremus
I've been toying with home-made mods to my MS1 that mimic the MS-1000 mods, just without the expense and permanance of the true MS-1000 mods. I found a plastic spray can top that fits perfectly over and around the Grado-sized cup. I cut two pieces from it, to the appropriate depth, and added some black electrical tape inside and out, and then put the standard Grado bowls on top of these "extensions." (pics below)

So, since my mod uses plastic (not wood), standard bowls (not jumbo), and is not permanant (a plus for when I move up the Grado line in the future!), I'm calling them MS-100's!!

I think they produce similar results to those reported for the MS-1000: the bass fullness is slightly reduced (but still sufficient), the soundstage is improved some, and the in-your-face directness is reduced (and comfort increased) a bit since the driver grill is not pressing right against your ears. I like!!!

ms-100-01.jpg

ms-100-03.jpg

ms-100-04.jpg

ms-100-06.jpg

Jun 30, 2009 at 4:10 PM Post #2 of 14
Nice find, looks very clean. How rigid is the cup?

The MS-1000 doesn't necessarily have to be permanent, a thin layer of sticky/blu tack works just as well. IMO what makes the MS-1K work so well is its ability to scale with the MS-1 in retaining if not improving bass, while having that giant soundstage due to the jumbo pads

Jun 30, 2009 at 4:17 PM Post #3 of 14
Damned good idea to use such a "non-permanent" plastic tube.
beerchug.gif

You may consider glueing some felt into the inner diameter to reduce possible mids colorations, and you'd be surprised about the effect of 2-3 very small drill holes in that tube to "fine tune" the sound to your personal liking.

Nomenclature as MS100 makes sense. I also had such a state some time ago (bowls or reversed 414s on undrilled distancers), the overall sound was 80% stock sound with a hint of MS1000-effect.

Jun 30, 2009 at 5:02 PM Post #4 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xan7hos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice find, looks very clean. How rigid is the cup?

If you mean my plastic extension rings, the plastic flexible, but a couple of layers of tape inside and outside have stiffened them a bit. I needed a couple of layers of tape inside the rings to make them fit the cup with just enough friction to hold them so they don't fall off.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickchen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You may consider glueing some felt into the inner diameter to reduce possible mids colorations, and you'd be surprised about the effect of 2-3 very small drill holes in that tube to "fine tune" the sound to your personal liking.

I've tried a couple of different "filter" materials, like the green felt I've seen on some of the MS-1000's, but for me it dampens the upper highs slightly -- but that was before I had these fully in place, so I might try again.

Also, I did cut a couple of 2mm holes in my extension rings, but I couldn't really hear a difference they made, so I just taped over them with the black electrical tape.

Jun 30, 2009 at 5:27 PM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by kmhaynes /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I couldn't really hear a difference

Such honest statements are much too seldom at this site, where everything tends to get boosted towards a night-and-day difference.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 30, 2009 at 6:13 PM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Such honest statements are much too seldom at this site, where everything tends to get boosted towards a night-and-day difference.
smily_headphones1.gif

Well, each ear and brains is different as well. I know I can hear things other people can't, and apparently visa versa.

My wife can hear me whisper something about her 3 rooms away, whereas I can't even hear her yelling at me from 5 feet away. Go figure!!
biggrin.gif

Jun 30, 2009 at 7:46 PM Post #7 of 14
Very nice!
Now for the real deal and build yourself an MS1000! It is fun to transform your MS-1 into MS1000. I built some distancers for some head-fiers and I get a lot of fun out of building them. If you want a pair, PM me.
wink.gif

Jul 1, 2009 at 12:35 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by apatN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Very nice!
Now for the real deal and build yourself an MS1000! It is fun to transform your MS-1 into MS1000. I built some distancers for some head-fiers and I get a lot of fun out of building them. If you want a pair, PM me.
wink.gif

TBH, I'd prefer spending the extra $$ on an upgrade up the Grado/Aless line, like a 325is or MS2i.

Jul 1, 2009 at 12:38 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif

Indeed. Refreshing to hear someone actually admit they didn't hear much of a difference in something.

Oct 29, 2009 at 9:51 PM Post #10 of 14
I am using my MS-1s (with distancers) with bowl pads. Sounds great indeed. The main thing you add with the bowls is the soundstage. I would also like to say that the bass gets more layered with the bowls.

FWIW I also liked the distancers equipped MS-1s with reversed HD414.

Nov 22, 2009 at 10:25 PM Post #12 of 14
I like that. I'm going to give it go during the week and it means I don't to pull apart or stick anything to my new MS1's! Win win as far as I can see!

What depth did you cut the plastic to?

Nov 22, 2009 at 11:45 PM Post #13 of 14
I actually did something similar with my pair before seeing this thread, only they are considerably more ghetto. I quarter-modded the comfies and did an ugly and uneven job of cutting the plastic. I guess mine should be dubbed ms-10's. By the way, what did you use to cut the plastic?

Dec 12, 2009 at 10:47 PM Post #14 of 14
I did something similar: got yogurt cups (and cut) and taped on the sides of the driver.

Will post pics soon. It's the MS 50.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back