My A900's arrived and ... well ...
Jan 20, 2005 at 3:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Phragm3nt

New Head-Fier
Finally got my A900's from AudioCubes.

After picking them up from the post office I decided that my pooches bowels had a tad bit higher priority than my new package. So Winston the pug and I took to the field...

When I got home and tore the paper bag open I found my new portable MD case / A900 box wrapped in the smallest bubble wrap I have ever seen. Everything in the package seemed out of order. It basically looked as if someone inspected it (or shook the heck out of it) and tried to make order from chaos (Customs perhaps) yet there was "NO" yellow "Opened by Canada Customs" sticker on it.

When opening the A900's I kept thinking, I sure hope my new cans arent scratched (after reading some reviews) and sure as sheit they were. A few specs of silver (chips) and 1 notch taken out of the left can. After close inspection, the aluminum appeared to not be dented, just minor surface damage, so I decided to keep them rather than hassle with Audiocubes / customs / shipping and all that jazz.

At first listen I basically thought they were terrible. That's plugged into my N707 Minidisc player. I noticed immediately what everyone was saying, no Mids.. WHERE'S THE MIDRANGE? HELLO MIDS, COME OUT COME OUT WHEREEVER YOU ARE!! It was like eating a sandwich with nothing inside of it! Or drinking light beer, you just don't do it!
biggrin.gif

I decided to try another source. I have a Kenwood Sovereign receiver for my home theatre and when I plugged into it things were much much different. The midrange was still "not great" but once I got used to it I started noticing all sorts of things I had never heard before. I would suspect a few hours of burn in will help, but who knows. If they continue to sound that good out of my receiver I am happy.

As this is only day 2 with these phones I will definitely let them burn in (I dooubt that will help them sound better with my MD player). It's looking like I am going to need an Amp. My poor pocket...

In my eyes, the $$$ / minor hassle was worth it. If burn in doesnt improve them I still have my receiver! Wonder what my boss would say if I put my 40lb receiver under my desk and said it was a "foot warmer"!

There's a set of cans and a Dave Matthews Central Park concert DVD calling my name!

Later,

Michael

Jan 20, 2005 at 3:31 AM Post #2 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Phragm3nt
WHERE'S THE MIDRANGE? HELLO MIDS, COME OUT COME OUT WHEREEVER YOU ARE!!

Sorry man, they are gone and they're not coming back.
frown.gif

Jan 20, 2005 at 3:33 AM Post #3 of 23
Yeah unfortuantely philodox got the cold shoulder with A900s mids.
biggrin.gif

Just let them burn in a while and the midrange should improve slighty. That is the only glaring flaw of A900s in that the midrange is weak and honky.

Jan 20, 2005 at 3:33 AM Post #4 of 23
sorry to hear about your package condition. i think you will enjoy the headphones, as burn-in will make the mids a little more present in them. enjoy!

Jan 20, 2005 at 3:36 AM Post #5 of 23
I didnt mean to be so negative. I am completely sure that the situation will improve with some burn in.
wink.gif

You should complain to the company about the condition of your package... might be able to get something out of it for your trouble.

Jan 20, 2005 at 3:37 AM Post #6 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox
I didnt mean to be so negative. I am completely sure that the situation will improve with some burn in.
wink.gif

You should complain to the company about the condition of your package... might be able to get something out of it for your trouble.

considering its from audiocubes, i highly doubt it. but its worth a try.

Jan 20, 2005 at 3:49 AM Post #8 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Phragm3nt
It's looking like I am going to need an Amp. My poor pocket...

I was under the impression that these were one of the few headphones costing ~$200 that don't need an amp! I have read that they do improve with an amp, but not to the same degree as most other "audiophile" cans.

I think you're on the right track as far as the A900's improving with burn-in, though. Funny that you noticed the issue with the mids and basically echoed what everybody else has been saying for months.
biggrin.gif

Jan 20, 2005 at 4:23 AM Post #11 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Imyourzero
Funny that you noticed the issue with the mids and basically echoed what everybody else has been saying for months.
biggrin.gif

hey, one person mentioned it, 12 persons will echo what they read.
icon10.gif

Jan 20, 2005 at 5:10 AM Post #12 of 23
sorry, im pretty new here,
but wut exactly does MID sounds like?? i konw deep is the bass and high is the HIGH KEY NOTES and sharp voices,,but wut exactly is mid?
wut kind of music involves the most MIDs??
thxnks

-t3

Jan 20, 2005 at 5:13 AM Post #13 of 23
guitar and the warm part of male vocals are the places where you notice mids the most

but it is basically anything that is not the highs or the lows and as such most of the music is in the midrange

overly bassy music bothers me and music with too much highs can sound shrill... the midrange is a nice comfortable warm place to be that wraps me up in a cocoon of sound... or at least it is on my K271S'
cool.gif

Jan 20, 2005 at 5:34 AM Post #14 of 23
I have never been a fan of the A900 mids either, I thought the phones sounded quite hollow and nasal, as if some parts of the midrange were way overemphasized while others were underemphasized. The K271, though slightly honky (as most all closed cans are) sound much better to me. I thought the A900 was no better than the HD280pro. So there are some of us out there who aren't quite smitten with the sound, even if they are good-lookng and uber-comfortable.

Jan 20, 2005 at 3:32 PM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Imyourzero
I was under the impression that these were one of the few headphones costing ~$200 that don't need an amp! I have read that they do improve with an amp, but not to the same degree as most other "audiophile" cans.

I think you're on the right track as far as the A900's improving with burn-in, though. Funny that you noticed the issue with the mids and basically echoed what everybody else has been saying for months.
biggrin.gif

I think my MD player just doesn't cut it as the cans sound great out of my HT receiver. As long as they continue to sound that great out of my HT receiver I will be happy!

I wouldnt say that I "echoed" what everyone else was saying... "Confirmed" is a better word!
biggrin.gif

michael

Users who are viewing this thread

Back