My 701's have woken up
Jun 6, 2007 at 11:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

gswpete

500+ Head-Fier
I've been tempted to sell them multiple times. After 300 hours or so, they still sounded distant, not much bass...etc. There was a disconnect between me and the music. Glad I stuck to it and after an additional 100 hours or so of burn in, they are finally starting to sound good.

I'm not sure if these are going to be the ones I eventually end up with, but at least they are a legit contender now
icon10.gif

Jun 6, 2007 at 11:26 PM Post #2 of 26
Good for you sticking it out despite the non-beleivers
eggosmile.gif

Jun 6, 2007 at 11:27 PM Post #3 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by gswpete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been tempted to sell them multiple times. After 300 hours or so, they still sounded distant, not much bass...etc. There was a disconnect between me and the music. Glad I stuck to it and after an additional 100 hours or so of burn in, they are finally starting to sound good.

I'm not sure if these are going to be the ones I eventually end up with, but at least they are a legit contender now
icon10.gif

That is what burn-in is all about.

Jun 6, 2007 at 11:38 PM Post #5 of 26
Mine are slowwwwly improving also but I am getting a strange 'rattle' noise from the left side periodically during heavy bass passages. Hopefully nothing is broken.....
blink.gif

Jun 6, 2007 at 11:42 PM Post #6 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good for you sticking it out despite the non-beleivers
eggosmile.gif

701, 650, GS-1000, MS-Pro...the (now two month long) shootout continues
frown.gif

I finally took the plunge and stretched my wallet like its never been stretched before and have a HRB Desktop on the way
600smile.gif

I'm sorry wallet, but I must!

Jun 6, 2007 at 11:44 PM Post #8 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That is what burn-in is all about.

I've had many different headphones, but none ever took this long
icon10.gif

And I think it's not even fully burned in yet!

Jun 6, 2007 at 11:45 PM Post #9 of 26
I really wish AKG would ship them with 500 hours of burn-in on them. It really takes an amazing amount of time for burn-in.

Jun 6, 2007 at 11:46 PM Post #10 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
100 hours is nothings. you need 3000 hours. waking up is not the same as becoming alive.

It's almost up to 450 hours now. Looks like I have a long way to go.

Jun 6, 2007 at 11:46 PM Post #11 of 26
Quote:

I've had many different headphones, but none ever took this long
icon10.gif

And I think it's not even fully burned in yet!

If I remember back when the 701s came out many talked about having a need for over 400 hours to burn it in right.

My latest ones went for 500 hours before I considered them burned in, my Ultrasone Edition 9s. These have been my longest yet to burn in. Most others that I have had came in within 200 hours.

Jun 6, 2007 at 11:51 PM Post #12 of 26
Quote:

If I remember back when the 701s came out many talked about having a need for over 400 hours to burn it in right.

My latest ones went for 500 hours before I considered them burned in, my Ultrasone Edition 9s. These have been my longest yet to burn in. Most others that I have had came in within 200 hours.

I remember the UE9's at the national meet last month sounding really harsh. I wonder if they just opened up a new box for the meet?

Jun 6, 2007 at 11:57 PM Post #13 of 26
Quote:

I remember the UE9's at the national meet last month sounding really harsh. I wonder if they just opened up a new box for the meet?

I can't say but they are magic now...I never thought they were harsh at any time to give you some perspective. What were the components in train you had them in? My Lavry DA10 (very musical) into my HA5000 (deep bass and extended highs with depth/body all around) does these really well.

Getting back to the 701s, they do need many many hours of burn-in to get to their best performance.

Jun 7, 2007 at 12:01 AM Post #14 of 26
Quote:

I can't say but they are magic now...I never thought they were harsh at any time to give you some perspective. What were the components in train you had them in? My Lavry DA10 (very musical) into my HA5000 (deep bass and extended highs with depth/body all around) does these really well.

Not sure. I listened to them at their table. I think it went through some CD player and then a Rudistor amp if I recall correctly.

Jun 7, 2007 at 12:04 AM Post #15 of 26
Quote:

Getting back to the 701s, they do need many many hours of burn-in to get to their best performance.

Yep. They are really starting to come alive. If they sound good out of the HRB Desktop I wouldn't rule out getting them balanced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back