My 650 needs a new buddy
Aug 23, 2006 at 7:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

TR909

Head-Fier
While I do love my laidback 650s for most listening and film editing jobs, I'm looking for it's evil twin. I realize Grados would probably be a natural foil for Senns but want to know what other headphones I should consider. Looking at AKG701's, Alessandro MS2i's, SA5000s, and SR225s. Anyone with personal experience with a good match? I'd prefer a headphone that doesn't have trouble being driven by amps that may tend to favor high impedance phones as I don't have the budget at the moment for another amp. Thanks for your thoughts.

Aug 23, 2006 at 7:16 PM Post #2 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by TR909
While I do love my laidback 650s for most listening and film editing jobs, I'm looking for it's evil twin. I realize Grados would probably be a natural foil for Senns but want to know what other headphones I should consider. Looking at AKG701's, Alessandro MS2i's, SA5000s, and SR225s. Anyone with personal experience with a good match? I'd prefer a headphone that doesn't have trouble being driven by amps that may tend to favor high impedance phones as I don't have the budget at the moment for another amp. Thanks for your thoughts.

I currently own the HD650 and the RS-1. If you can afford it, the RS is the farthest in sound you can go from the senns. This gives you a good representation of the whole sound spectrum with both of these cans.

Aug 23, 2006 at 7:22 PM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by randyruiz
I currently own the HD650 and the RS-1. If you can afford it, the RS is the farthest in sound you can go from the senns. This gives you a good representation of the whole sound spectrum with both of these cans.

agreed

But out of the ones you listed, I'll rank them in this order to be the hd650's companion.

K701
SA5k
MS2
225's

Aug 23, 2006 at 7:28 PM Post #4 of 6
Thanks. Yeah unfortunately the RS1s are out of my budget (~$400) as they'd cost as much as new phones and a suitable amp. The 701s and 5000s are indeed at the top of my list. If only I could get over the 701s looks
wink.gif
! Any thoughts on Audio-Technica? I honestly know squat about their gear.

Aug 23, 2006 at 8:19 PM Post #5 of 6
The Grados/Alessandros are about as polar opposite soundwise as you can get from the Senn 650's. I think they would be your best bet.

I would recommend that you consider the Grado 325i, or RS2 and the Allesando MS2i. The Grado HF1 is also good if you can finr one at the right price. If you are on a budget you can possibly buy second hand. Many here will recommend the SR225's, but I can't endorse those, having owned them in the past, I don't feel they represent good value for the dollar spent.

- augustwest

Users who are viewing this thread

Back