My 60 Second Review of the Cowon C2
May 18, 2012 at 10:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

FlatNine

500+ Head-Fier

I didn't *need* another DAP, but I wanted one with killer battery life, FLAC support, gapless playback, and small-ish in size. As a sidenote, I didn't think gapless was that important until I had a player without it. The Sansa ClipZip is a cool little player, but the lack of gapless SUCKS! Anyway...

My C2 arrived yesterday from Amazon. After fumbling with the little door on the unit so I could get the USB seated in the player, I left for an appointment. I came back expecting the unit to be fully charged. Think again. Apparently, Cowon's are famous for connector seating issues. I finally got it connected, and tiptoed away so it could charge. I came back, loaded about 30 lossless CD's and plugged in some Klipsch X10i's. 20 minutes later after screwing with the most unintuitive interface I have ever seen, I got the music started. Very nice. I found my way to the famous BBE and Jet Effects and set it to the jazz preset. Here's a technical term for you - HOLY CRAP! What a sound. I didn't think it was possible to come close to my iPod Touch > TTVJ Slim > Senn HD650. But it did. As I type, I am listening to Grant Green's Idle Moments CD, and am blown away. I am willing to put up with the intermittent USB connection issue as well as the non-intutitive interface. For under $450 USD, the Klipsh X10's and the 16GB Cowon C2 just rocked my audio world. Er, I mean jazzed my audio world.

May 18, 2012 at 12:28 PM Post #2 of 26
Quote:
 The Sansa ClipZip is a cool little player, but gapless SUCKS! Anyway...

One word.....Rockbox.
wink_face.gif

May 18, 2012 at 4:23 PM Post #4 of 26
Quote:
I have the c2, its great.
You can also get the cowon official BBE sound on your ipod
Touch with the sonicmaxpro app.

I'd be suprised if it could sound like the C2 though, since the C2 has IC's for EQ and BBE, while the Touch would have a software implementation. I have the two best EQ apps on my iPod Touch (EQu and something else - sorry - can't remember) and am not crazy about them. They require you to use their catalog browser rather than the native one, and they are battery killers! Now that I have over 50 hours of battery reserve on the C2, I think it might become my main player.

They shipped the white USB cable to me and it does not seem to go in all the way. When it is in and connected, if I happen to touch it, it disconnects. Do you have the C2 connector issues as well? Seems a lot of people do.
frown.gif

May 18, 2012 at 10:01 PM Post #6 of 26
Quote:
Is AAC not supported on this player?  I have heard in the past that Cowon does not put it on the specs sheet, but AAC songs will in fact play just fine. 

They probably do but I have all my stuff as flac (and alac). I'll check it later on...

May 19, 2012 at 7:39 AM Post #10 of 26
Quote:
Is AAC not supported on this player?  I have heard in the past that Cowon does not put it on the specs sheet, but AAC songs will in fact play just fine. 

It seems that the C2 (and other Cowons) does support AAC. ( but only DRM free) I didn't try it though.

May 19, 2012 at 8:22 AM Post #11 of 26
Interesting.  That's good to know though, if I ever buy one.  I have never owned a cowon player.  Have been thinking about the J3 for a long time.  Not sure which one I'd rather get. 

May 19, 2012 at 10:49 AM Post #12 of 26
Here's a post from the anythingbutipod forum regarding the connector issue. I tried what this person was saying and it worked. YMMV!

(http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67173)

Quote:
"there is a black plastic tab at the bottom of the plug end that connects into the c2. you need to push the connector in until the plastic tab hits the body.
i kept pushing and wiggling until it clicked into place - scary the first time you do it.
its not clear from a photo as the outer casing blocks your view of it.
the flap on the c2 needs to be pushed upwards out of the way otherwise it will prevent the plug from being fully inserted."

Jul 5, 2012 at 10:03 AM Post #14 of 26
I've had my C2 for about 6 weeks now and I love it. The sound (with the EQ) is fantastic and extremely portable!  With my Klipsch X10's, I am a happy camper! You get used to the UI, but it is anything but intuitive. :frowning2:

Jul 5, 2012 at 8:25 PM Post #15 of 26
hmm i keep on hearing on how unintuitive the ui is.
i had a go myself, but only as far as playing a song off the memory card.
must say, that part was not hard at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back