My 500th post....
Feb 5, 2010 at 4:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

freakydrew

500+ Head-Fier
My whole obsession and passion with headphones started about a year ago when I got a new computer. Beautiful new Dell with the Core i7 processor, 24" Dell hi-def monitor, Logitech z5500 sound system, built in blu-ray.
Loved it but had an issued. My family room is in the basement. Essentially, the computer is in an ante-room off the main family room and leads to the furnace room/workshop on one side, laundry room on the other side. Computer area is maybe 10' X12' tops. There is no door, only an opening six or seven feet wide with drywall 3 or 4 feet on both sides. Anyway, the point is there is no clear division from the compueter area to the main family room where we watch television, so if I am on the computer, my wife is 7' away on the couch watching tv....something needed to be done and headphones seemed the logical answer. My el cheapo Sony earbuds were insufficient so I started googling.

In my initial ignorance, I thought wireless would be the way to go. Really like the latest Pioneer wireless but not the price tag...researched the snot out of this and kept coming back to Head fi where there was a million people like me and we were all told the wireless would not cut it.

So then I joined Head-fi officially and asked questions, read posts and then saw a deal on Amazon for Audio Technica ATH-AD 700's and Sennheiser HD-555s.

This is when I first learned how sucky it is to live in Canada and want to get headphones for a good price. I was lucky enough to have a co-worker, who is also a neighbour have a daughter who lives in Orchard Park, NY just outside of Buffalo and an hour-and-a-half drive from my home in Ontario. So she had no problems and I ordered both headphones to her address and had a lovely spring drive with my wife to get them....of course she was enticed by shopping!

After getting back and being like a kid on Christmas I watched Batman and Iron Man on blu-ray and compared both headphones, decided I preferred the Audio Technica's over all but still wanted something better....ended up selling both and buying AKG K702's from ebay, which was delivered in Canada. I did not make any money but the sale of my first two phones paid for the AKG k702s.

Of course, these needed an amplifier....so start saving again, start reading the posts, research the snot out of headphone amps. I think there are 1 trillion posts on "what is the best amp for the K70x"....so much to digest.

I looked into becoming a distributor of Darkvoice in Canada and saw how hard it is to do this and be competitive with Boyer or the like. I would hav ehad to lay out over $5000 and sell them almost with no profit. factor in labour to package and deal with buyers and all that, I would have lost money on the deal.

I even wanted to test drive the Elekit, and spoke with the distributor on the phone who basically said it was better for him to ship in the US then Canada so I never even got to test drive them....

The summer happenned and as any Canadian knows, we don't like to stay inside much for the few months of warmth!!

When fall came around I looked in earnest for a headphone amp and saw one for sale in Ontario and bought it from Deltaspirit.

Picked it up my Darkvoice 336i (slightly modded) and loved it...really impressed.

I also picked up the Triple.fi's on the amazon deal shipped to my American friend and sold two to head fi'ers and the third on ebay and made no money once ebay charged me all their fees! I never did get to try a set but felt good helping out fellow members in Canada who were not able to purchase from Amazon.

Somehow I thought about vinyl....and my father in law gave me an el cheapo Sony number and I went to Radio Shack to buy an el cheapo pre amp...was not impressed...

decided to buy some turntables and fix some up for resale and keep the one I like best...so about $1000 later I now have 3 turntables in my workshop and am listening to a Denon DP-3500 with Black Widow turn arm through a Bellari v130 phone preamp with an expensive Tung sol 12ax7 tube...

basically 500 posts and a year later I am in deep.....all I wanted was to get something so I could "play on the computer" as my wife says and here I am...obsessed...I am talking her into going to Chicago for the annual jam!

I own so many tubes now it is scary, my record and cd collection is growing....I just won an auction on ebay for a set of Ultrasone 580's which are closed so should appease my wife....

so 500 posts later I hate you all, but at the same time am so appreciative of all the help, support, knowledge and wisdom that you have.

thanks!

Feb 5, 2010 at 5:38 PM Post #2 of 4
wow - it's a good thing I'm not obsessed with head-fi....
biggrin.gif

all kidding aside, it's terrific to see how this hobby has flourished for you, and I hope it continues to bring you years of further enjoyment! if only my wife were as understanding - she thinks i'm nuts

Feb 5, 2010 at 11:06 PM Post #3 of 4
Umm yeah I'm not obsessed with Head-Fi. I guess I got it pretty bad seeing I have a fair bit of junk for someone only here for such a short time. I don't really care what others think because I think I'm nuts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back