my 4g IMOD is dying. Please advise!
Nov 21, 2008 at 1:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

hansel_ng

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

I have a 2-3 year old 4th generation imod, and it is dying.

Problems:

1) it doesn't seem to charge, but discharge, oddly, when plugged into the power. There is no sign of charging and when i plug it out the bar goes red (backwards) rather than forwards. Similarly, when I plug it into a computer source (have tried a few), I get 'USB Device not recognised'.

2) this doesn't happen all the time, but erratically. sometimes it charges properly, and sometimes the computer recognises it. I have managed to charge it during these periods, but increasingly, I've been finding it hard to get lucky

3) at all times I cannot charge the ipod through the adaptor and play music at the same time. If I try that it will just reboot, and even if it was initially at full capacity it goes red.

Anyone knows what might be the problem? Or do you know someone who might know? what should I do? I've emailed Vinnie 1-2 weeks ago but he hasn't replied...

any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Nov 21, 2008 at 3:44 PM Post #4 of 16
X3 no brainer;... need battery. and when you get one get you music off there and reformat the ipod. the disk is likely to be extremely fragmented and probably corrupted. if you dont do something about backing up (tat is if you havent already) you should do it as spoon as possible

Nov 21, 2008 at 3:59 PM Post #5 of 16
many thanks everyone for the responses.

I did think that it is the battery, but the funny thing is that when i get lucky and the ipod gets recognised by the PC again, it does manage to charge and get to a full charge, and can give me about 5 hours of playback.

do you still think it's the battery that's gone?

Nov 22, 2008 at 10:55 AM Post #8 of 16
*wwwaaachewww!* Snapping the headfi advice whip!

Nov 22, 2008 at 12:18 PM Post #9 of 16
x6 or so on the battery.
After 2-3 years the battery is clearly at the end of its life and need to be replaced.

Nov 22, 2008 at 12:20 PM Post #10 of 16
if you don't want to do it yourself, buy a really HUGE battery off ebay and have battery sent to Redwine. Send the Imod too. They'll do the exchange at very rasonable cost and check out the guts of the Imod at the same time. That's what I did when I bought my 5.5g and had it Imodded--got a bigass battery off ebay and it runs quite a long time between recharges. If you're all thumbs like I am, I'd rather have a professional do battery swaps

Nov 22, 2008 at 2:19 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by misterDX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
for *****'s sake, just replace the battery

those are usual symptoms of a dying battery

Bit harsh.

Anyway, I took my broken 5.5G video apart the other day, and the battery would be an easy job to do yourself as long as you're not rubbish with electronics.

Battery's can be picked up pretty cheap too.

Nov 22, 2008 at 3:15 PM Post #12 of 16
Hansel, the iMod done by Vinnie has some very delicate wires and solder work which could be damaged by an inexperienced person. Vinnie has stated that he would re-install the batteries for free if you send him the unit w/ the battery and pay the return postage.

If it was mine I would contact Vinnie at Red Wine Audio and discuss w/ him the work to be done. Good luck.

Nov 23, 2008 at 11:02 AM Post #13 of 16
many thanks but i think i'll risk it, since i'm in the uk and it's just too expensive and time consuming to have it sent back. did manage to open it to have a look, and thing's didn't fall apart!

have bought one of those giant 1300mah batteries on ebay.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 2, 2008 at 1:42 PM Post #14 of 16
Hi again,

I took the advice of those who posted and changed the battery. but I'm still facing the same problem

1) charges sometimes only with power. other times even when its attached there's just nothing detected
2) sometimes the laptop says 'usb device not recognised'

what do I do now?

Dec 2, 2008 at 1:53 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by misterDX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
for *****'s sake, just replace the battery

those are usual symptoms of a dying battery

WOW, is that necessary?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back