My $20 sound better than my $200 headphones. why?
Aug 27, 2014 at 9:31 PM Post #18 of 25
Before buying new headphones I would try changing the tips from the cheap earbuds to the sennheisers. Also if you don't know how to EQ you'll just make the sound worst, to start I'll leave it flat and play with the tone controls bass to 100% and treble 75%, and go from there.

Aug 28, 2014 at 8:37 AM Post #20 of 25
what would you recommend? i have 596 dollars(summer jobs and allowance) saved up in my headphone fund.

Buy new stuff but also try to keep what you have so you can always go back.

Why? We learn to hear differently as time goes on. Our music genre changes and in the end many start to go back to super flat and less V curve headphones. How will you learn what you like not hearing the old headphones you didn't like?

The only way I can explain this is to truly understand how we see with our eyes. As we learn to see we start to notice really small differences in light. Right before sunset when we were young we said "it's getting dark" after many sunsets we may now say" it's getting golden light before it gets dark" our perception is always changing.

At times you wonder why some people hear stuff that other don't? The process could be that some have more sensitive ears, the other reason is they mentally hear stuff different. I myself have slowly gone from a bass-head to more of a flat-head. It's a long process and at times has a schedule of it's own.:p

I had a roommate who loved a perfect flat sound sig, after years and a lot of equipment, I'm starting to hear why?

Money at times does not buy the best headphones, it's equipment matching synergy and finding the sound you like. There is also the strange affect of just hearing a new sound signature. At times though you can get sick of the signature that made you go "wow" when first heard.

Aug 28, 2014 at 10:29 AM Post #21 of 25
yes i'm certainly getting a good fit, as i said before "the senny's sounds emmence+no distortion at like 95% volume and much better than the $20 headphones when on my laptop, i presume it's cas of the extra power" the highs are crisp and the lows are deep bold and powerful, i was just wondering if the amp could replicate the noise produced from my laptop?

You say here the IE60 sound good when on your laptop but not your phone.

There could be several reasons for this. The $20 earbuds may require less power than your Sennhesier which you've already caught onto, it may just be a case of bad synergy. (which is what I'm going to assume). I don't think you need another headphone atm as you've already proven your IE60 can sound good (and better) than the $20 earbuds from your laptop which suggests it's your phone not pairing well with the Sennheiser.

I will give you two options to consider and research:

1) Sansa Clip Zip also look into Rockbox (searches here will give you answers)

2) Try an amp from your phone, you don't need to spend much, $40 on Topping NX1 would be enough.

My guess is your phone simply isn't pairing well with the IE60.

Aug 28, 2014 at 5:51 PM Post #22 of 25
just what i was thinking. ive ordered the Topping NX1's on ebay for about £20.00 ( $33 ). i live in the uk so the true prices are $240 for the sennheisers and $33 for the unnamed headphones. i will update you if it works. thanks for the advice.

Aug 28, 2014 at 9:07 PM Post #23 of 25
sorry for the confusion, my phone does go loud enough, in fact really loud but without the app the sound quality is shockingly bad and sounds like i'm using $2 headphones compared to when i use both headphones on my brothers ipod 4th gen and on my laptop.

(the senny's sounds emmence+no distortion at like 95% volume and much better than the $20 headphones when on my laptop, i presume it's cas of the extra power, hence why i asked about the amp).

with the app i sounds so much better and the quality is amazing on my phone but distorts when you go above 60% volume but i want to go louder than 60% without the sennheissers distorting. what i'm trying to ask is do my sennheissers need an amp as i heard that IEM'S in this price region need an amp to perform at it's greatest. so basically do the sennheissers sound not as good because there harder to drive/run and need an amp to release it's full potential?:confused_face_2:

If you have realtek sound stuff, try going into the device properties
Then enhancements
Then check disable effects

Aug 29, 2014 at 1:46 PM Post #25 of 25
UPDATE: just received the amp ( very quick delivery in the uk). tried it out and it has solved the problem completely. the $20 headphones sound crap compared to the sennheisers now... feeeeeeeeeeeeeeeew ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back