My 1st audiophile headphones. HD 598, A900, M50s, AKG 550, SRH840, Beyerdynamic, etc. Suggestions & comments
Nov 28, 2014 at 10:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Lykp

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone!

So I am about to purchase my 1st decent pair of headphone and thought this is the perfect community for help.

Requirements:

* Flat response, i.e. I do not want headphones that boost some frequencies over others. I want to be able to hear exactly what the recordings are like, no extra bass-boosting for example.
* Comfort. My previous cheap Behringer HPS3000 were way to uncomfortable for me. My ears were becoming hot and sweaty after a few minutes of use. For this reason I am looking for a pair of comfortable over-ear quality headphones. Maybe open types are better for temp regulation?
* No extra amps to be required.
* Price range of the headphones mentioned below

Other comments:
Will mostly be used indoors for music on a Macbook Pro or guitar playing, connected guitar pedalboard or amplifier. 
Have not decided on closed vs open types, but leakage should not be a big issue for me, since I will mostly use them indoors.

Up to now these are some of the headphones I am considering along with some prices and comments:

Sennheiser HD 598  -  147 euros
   Quite a nice pricetag, seems a no brainer for the open type choice?

Audio-Technica ATH-A900X  -  135e
   Some extra bass that I do not want

Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro
   Again extra bass ?
   Is there also a DT-770M Pro version? Not sure about the differences

Beyerdynamic DT 860
   ?

AKG 550
   Suggested by a friend. Not sure if their response is what I am looking for.

Audio Technica ATH-M50s  -  160e
   Seen quite a few reviews of these. Seem to be very decent.

Shure SRH840  -  150e
    Did not like the comment that they are a bit too dark

Final comment, I am located in EU so if you are aware of any shop with free shipping and better prices feel free to suggest. I mostly check amazon.fr, amazon.de and other regional Greek shops.

Thank you very much everyone!

Nov 28, 2014 at 8:01 PM Post #2 of 6
What about the Audio Technica ATH-AD900X open headphones?

Nov 30, 2014 at 11:26 AM Post #4 of 6
  Thanks for your reply.

Well, this is an option I was not aware of. How would this compare to the HD 598 ?

I own the HD558 and ATH-A900X (closed) headphones and I prefer the A900X sound over the HD558 sound.
To me my A900Xs have more life to their sound, over the HD558 slightly reserved sound.

As you sometimes have an issue with heat and sweat from wearing a headphone, the AD900X being open should help with that issue.

Nov 30, 2014 at 11:42 AM Post #5 of 6
I kinda think the 598 are the way to go here. Theyre very balanced sounding, with the mids being the star of the show which is good news for your guitar. Also they barely clamp at all and have velour earpads that dont get hot whatsoever, and no amp required. Just seems to tick all the boxes for you. The other options i think are a little bit more polarizing in terms of signature for your needs, although if you want closed your friend made a good suggestion those K550 are very good balanced headphones and comfy as well.

Dec 1, 2014 at 9:47 AM Post #6 of 6
Thank for your input guys! I think I will go with the HD 598 since they seems to be at a nice price and good enough for a beginner!

Waiting for them now :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back