My 10 Year-Old CD Player is Blowing my Mind
May 28, 2009 at 11:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

HD_Dude

100+ Head-Fier
Based on reviews here and elsewhere, I brought out my really old Sony DVP-S7000. It was Sony's reference player in its day...and yes, it has a 1/4" headphone output with volume control on the front panel.

With the Denon D7000's, the sound is amazing! No amp, no nothing. Just a CD in the Sony, with the 7000's plugged in.

Incredible precision, detail and soundstage.

It's as if I'm suddenly able to hear what the D7000's can really do.

The sound is so good...from the shimmering highs to the crunchy mids to the bass in the sub, sub basement.

Just wanted to share my excitement!

I understand it's available used for next to nothing now...I paid a grand.

Jun 3, 2009 at 3:25 AM Post #2 of 3
I have one and yes it was impressive. But it was bettered IMHO by a SCD-333ES and then SCD-1 I tried after.

The DVP-S7000 is very detailed but I found it to be less musical than the SCD-333ES which was a step up IMHO. The DVP soundly beat my NAD CD player at the time.

The other thing is that the DVP-S7000 was known in its time to be an excellent transport, which is why I bought it. I ended up with the SACD player instead. Try it with a nice DAC. I think you'll really like it.

BTW, mine is still working. That thing was built to last. Amazing DVD playback too. Also it is from the 1997 vintage, so more like 12 years.

Jun 3, 2009 at 5:32 AM Post #3 of 3
aaaaahhhhhh....a cheap old jewel....ya gotta love it....I think i'll check my closet too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back