My 09/11 W-100's ..
Sep 13, 2002 at 10:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

frogboy51

New Head-Fier
Having been, just about in the middle of the two WTC attacks, my wife and I decided to stay home, 09/11. Having a quiet day at home, when the doorbell rings. My wife opens the door and here's this uniformed guy, trying to hand her a package. Trying to wipe away that strange look on her face, I say to my wife "cool, those are my new headphones". End of confusion ...

Very nice looking headphones. Good build quality. Nice long cord. Immediately go downstairs and plug into my Denon 4800. First track played .. Patrick O'hearn, "So Flows The Current", track 3 - opening with a solo cello .. very nice. Next up , some Tomita "Snowflakes Are Dancing", then some K.D.Lang (well, I love her voice, sorry). Very impressive. I won't go any further, because I haven't had a decent set of earphones, in quite a while. Having new headphones, you tend to listen to the headphones, not the music. So, Im just starting out .. Bear with me .. I've been leaving the headphones on and letting them break in.

I ordered the phones from Audiocubes. Seemed, it took about 6 days to arrive.

I'll probably try an amp, within a short while. I've been thinking about the Corda HA-1, or the Earmax Pro. Where's a reputable place, to purchase the EMP??

Any thoughts on my amp choices??

Al ..

Sep 13, 2002 at 10:49 PM Post #2 of 11
Crapping on yet another thread...

I was in my lawyer's office and he asked "You sure you want the date to read 9/11/02 ?" (I was taking possession of a house) and I said "Yes, at least for me, there will be something good associated with this date".

So, (as he was supposed to file the papers today) please congratulate a new home owner !
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 13, 2002 at 11:42 PM Post #3 of 11
I have a MAD EAR4+ and am content with it -- the W100/EAR+ combination sounds great and looks superb in my home (photos available on request). Wood and metal with a muted finish terminating in an iridescent sepia cord, fed into a blood-red lacquered rectangle with glowing tubes and a green LCD -- it doesn't get much better.

The EAR+ also functions as a preamp, which I use to listen to my otherwise sterile-sounding G4 laptop. Lloyd Peppard (MAD's one-man army) is also building me a three-input source-switcher as we speak.

Still, if you're thinking of acquiring more power-hungry headphones, the RKV sounds unbeatable and looks even better than the EAR.

Also: After a recent test, I concluded I don't care for the sound of W100s with an MG Head. Don't get me wrong, the Head sounds good in many ways. Only, W1000s are quirky in my view and need a smoother darker amp.

Sep 14, 2002 at 1:05 AM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by HighwayStar

So, (as he was supposed to file the papers today) please congratulate a new home owner !
smily_headphones1.gif

Congratulations! Sorry about your wallet!
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 14, 2002 at 1:19 AM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by timoteus
Congratulations! Sorry about your wallet!
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks timoteus ! Hey, wait a minute, that sounds vaguely familiar
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 14, 2002 at 1:28 AM Post #6 of 11
frogboy51-I dig the EMP bigtime...but they're not cheap. You'll get plenty of oppinions pro and con here, but that's what this forum is all about!

Also...

Shoot, I guess I'm just another crapper, but hey...fantastic HighwayStar! I hope you'll be very happy in your new abode.

smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 14, 2002 at 6:17 PM Post #7 of 11
Frogboy,

Have fun with those W100's . . . as most people around here probably know, I love them! They are awesome for acoustic music, vocals and wood-bodied instruments (especially guitars which sound so real). But for rock music, I'm getting some RS-1's because the W100's are not particularly great with that genre of music. Enjoy!
wink.gif

Sep 14, 2002 at 6:43 PM Post #8 of 11
The guy asked a question about which amps and reputable amp dealers pertain to his W100. As much as I care about 9/11 (I was mere yards away when WTC II fell), I'd hate to see that and other subjects swallow his original question, which is one I'm interested in myself. I, too, have been trying to decide which second amp to snatch.

The question is particularly keen because a lot of people don't care for the W100, which means amp recommendations are scarce. Personally, I'd want an amp that could power hungrier headphones as well -- the EAR+ really does sound good with the W100, but I'd like more flexibility for phones like the K1000.

(Thread Bowel-void #s-1002(j): Someone on eBay just offered a Sugden Headmaster/Senn 600 combo for $850. I hope someone on Head-fi picked it up!)

Sep 15, 2002 at 1:49 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by scrypt
the EAR+ really does sound good with the W100, but I'd like more flexibility for phones like the K1000.

Hmm . . . that's going to be a toughy to put it mildly.

Quote:

(Thread Bowel-void #s-1002(j): Someone on eBay just offered a Sugden Headmaster/Senn 600 combo for $850. I hope someone on Head-fi picked it up!)

I have a hunch that it is the same guy is selling his Sugden/Senn here on Head-Fi for $750! So there is probably is a good chance that a Head-Fier will pick it up!

Sep 15, 2002 at 10:20 AM Post #11 of 11
How about a Corda Blue amp?? I've already emailed Kurt W., concerning the Blue option. I'm sure additional phones would be added, in the future. Future proofing, is a good idea.

I don't mind the sidebars. This is a forum, but, it's nice to "let out" the human side. I realize there's a lounge section.

Al ..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back