My £70* UK "Boombox" (*plus iPod)
Sep 8, 2005 at 9:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

MrJoshua

500+ Head-Fier
Well, today I visited my favorite discount hi-fi shop - Richer Sounds and bought a set of JBL Control 1 Speakers (in Silver) for £39.99 with the intention of using them with my T-Amp to take to BBQ's and camping with friends (not at quiet camp sites... more like camping parties we have now and then).

I have a set of JBL 4208 Monitors as my main hi-fi speakers, and they sound very nice, so when I saw that these were on mega discount, I thought "why not"!

So, I got home tonight, plugged them into my T-Amp and iPod, and was very dissapointed. They sounded rubbish.

I then thought, hang on, they're brand spanking new, so let's run them in for a couple of hours to find out if this running or burning in business actually does anything...

Well, 4 hours later and I can definately say that it works! These now sound really, really nice! (for what they are... cheap, small, portable speakers)

I've got the T-Amp plugged into the crappy headphone-out on my laptop at the moment, with iTunes playing 192kbps MP3's and I'm really, really impressed! It seems, however, that like my big JBL's, they're quite fussy about the type of music that they play... They love well produced music, but are not so good with pop or badly produced dance music.

Either way, they make a great combo (the t-amp and these speakers) and I'm sure they'll get a lot of use! I wasn't really using my t-amp much as lugging my big JBL's around with it was a nightmare, so now I'm really glad I've invested 40 quid in these small speakers!

I know I'm rambling, but I thought I should share my thoughts with you all!

blink.gif

Sep 8, 2005 at 9:48 PM Post #2 of 3
Congratulations on the purchase! I have the active version of the JBLs which i have used with great succes for semi-portable use like you do. Unfortunately I bought them before the T-amp was even invented (
biggrin.gif
), otherwise I would probably have chosen the same solution as you did - especially if I could get the passive Controls for just 40 pounds
smily_headphones1.gif

/U.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back