MV40s for computer speakers? (Promedia 2.1 and Z2300 discussed)
Dec 7, 2011 at 3:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

JustJohn

New Head-Fier
Just got a set of Klipsch ProMedia 2.1s even though I had a set of Logitech Z2300s cause I had always been curious about the ProMedias and they were on sale and I had BestBuy credit to burn.

After listening to them both side by side I realized I want something slightly different than both of them. :-/  First let me explain how I feel about these sets. (I am not an audiophile but have been getting picker about sound.)

To my ear:
Promedia sound very open and clean in the mids and highs maybe too bright if anything. Make the Logitech sound kind of flattened in comparison. However, the Promedia sub is very boomy in comparison to the Z2300 sub. The kick is kind of annoying for music when the sub is turned up enough to fill out the low end. I have found if I get the sub in level in just the right spot I can get most of the overzealous punch out without losing all the low end though.

My uses:
Music, movies, gaming. Reasonably clear balanced music is first priority but I will use them a fair bit for movies and occasionally for gaming.

My question:
After hearing these sets next to each other I think I want something that will sound like the Klipsch satellites with a smoother sub. Can I do this for under $150? I heard bookshelf speakers might be a good bet. I looked at the MV40s but I would like to be able to feel my movies a bit and they are only 40watts and no sub so my guess is they would be lacking for that.

Dec 9, 2011 at 10:12 PM Post #3 of 28
Awesome, thanks! Leads me to a whole new set of questions though. :p

Have you heard the promedia 2.1 system? The satellites seem awfully good to me. You're sure the $40 sony's would be better?

I am interested in doing something like that though. The only thing is, I'm not sure I know how to set it up. I'd need to buy some speaker wire and that "mp3" in is just a 1/8th inch minijack right? So I could connect to the computer with just a minijack to minijack cable?

The other thing is if the system isn't pre set up I'd want to be able to mess with the crossover right? I don't see any option on the amp. How would I do that?

Dec 10, 2011 at 7:00 AM Post #4 of 28
There is a 3.5mm MP3 input as well as red/white RCA so you could just connect via a 3.5mm/RCA cable and here is a video - just observe polarity when hooking up speaker wire from amp/speaker and it's all good hehe

Dec 10, 2011 at 8:01 AM Post #5 of 28
Install a foam port plug to tighten up the bass, toss a few bass traps around the room to elimate the boomy bottom end...
If you have not yet treated your room, then you have not yet auditioned the speakers as they truly sound in a neutral environment...

Dec 12, 2011 at 12:23 AM Post #6 of 28
Alright, good stuff. That video makes it look ridiculously easy to set stuff up. The only thing I don't get is where would the sub connect? And what about tuning the crossover?

Also I don't know what a foam port plug or a bass trap even is. I'll do some research and get back to you on that part.

Dec 12, 2011 at 1:33 AM Post #7 of 28
what are the pros and con for passive vs active speakers?
ive been looking for speakers too and am leaning toward audioengine 2 or 5s.

just seems like more of a hassle to get to have to get a speaker amp. maybe it allows for easier customization?

Dec 12, 2011 at 5:09 AM Post #8 of 28
Are you plugging the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 into the computer's built in sound card?

The Asus Xonar DS (PCI) sound card allows you to upgrade the op-amp (operational amplifier).
Add a LME49860NA op-amp, might just improve the Klipsch Promedia's enough.

Total would be under $60.

The Klipsch Pro Media use to sell for $150.
I'm assuming you bought the ProMedia 2.1 from Bestbuy for $100?

Dec 12, 2011 at 10:24 AM Post #9 of 28
I'm using an xfi platinum sound card but it doesn't have active amplification to my knowledge. Yes I got the promedias for $100. I don't know that much about the physics of speaker systems (yet) but it doesn't follow to me that improving amplification would make the sub less boomy.

Bass traps are apparently super expensive and I may be moving soon anyway so that's out for the moment. I tried plugging the port with a t-shirt and found the boom somewhat diminished but then read that you shouldn't plug the port unless the sub is designed for it, so I guess that's out too.

Looking at those bookshelf speakers could anyone offer opinions on the b652 vs ss-b1000?

Dec 12, 2011 at 10:28 AM Post #10 of 28
How much do you think the pro medias satilites are worth alone probley $40 or less, the sonys will be much better there a proper bookshelf speaker with proper drivers. The sub is easy to add in your need some stereo rca cables, then it goes.,
Source > sub > speaker amp , the crossover knob is on the back of the sub with the sony speakers your want the crossover somewhere between 80-100hz. This is where the promedias and logitechs fail the sub is likely crossed over at around 200-250hz which makes the bass muddy, directional and over drives the sub, the logitechs crossover is around 200hz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The Asus Xonar DS (PCI) sound card allows you to upgrade the op-amp (operational amplifier).
Add a LME49860NA op-amp, might just improve the Klipsch Promedia's enough.

I take it you have loads of accurately performed measurements with the proper equipment that shows the LME49860NA performs better than the stock op-amp in this circuit, I bet asus have do have these measurements that show why the op-amp they selected the stock op-amp performs the best in there circuit, just saying it sounds better to your ears is a load of rubbish unless you can provide these measurements you should stop misleading people.

Dec 12, 2011 at 11:01 AM Post #11 of 28
Thanks for the further input, that's exactly why I want to make sure I can adjust the crossover. I find the crossover way too high on most 2.1 setups. You get that ridiculously over-pronounced upper bass that makes everything sound like crap. No clue why they come set up that way. I felt like the Z2300 were better than most but might have been partially due to it being a larger sub and not loosing the lower frequencies as much.

So all I need is RCA cables and I set it up like this:

Computer>miniplug to RCA>sub>RCA to RCA>amp>speaker wire>speakers

Correct?

And then is there somewhere I can find some info on the b652 vs ss-b1000? I'd like to know if there's any significant difference in quality or how the sound is presented.

Dec 12, 2011 at 2:30 PM Post #13 of 28

Quote:
I take it you have loads of accurately performed measurements with the proper equipment that shows the LME49860NA performs better than the stock op-amp in this circuit, I bet asus have do have these measurements that show why the op-amp they selected the stock op-amp performs the best in there circuit, just saying it sounds better to your ears is a load of rubbish unless you can provide these measurements you should stop misleading people.

I have zero technical data on any of this.
I just read dozens and dozens and dozens of comments by real users saying what op-amps sound good to them and which do not.
Peoples ears is the feedback that counts more then "accurately performed measurements".
Op-amps were not created to please test equipment, just the human ear.

Dec 12, 2011 at 2:50 PM Post #14 of 28

Quote:
I'm using an xfi platinum sound card but it doesn't have active amplification to my knowledge. Yes I got the promedias for $100. I don't know that much about the physics of speaker systems (yet) but it doesn't follow to me that improving amplification would make the sub less boomy.
Bass traps are apparently super expensive and I may be moving soon anyway so that's out for the moment. I tried plugging the port with a t-shirt and found the boom somewhat diminished but then read that you shouldn't plug the port unless the sub is designed for it, so I guess that's out too.
Looking at those bookshelf speakers could anyone offer opinions on the b652 vs ss-b1000?

The Creative Labs X-Fi Platinum sound card was designed in early 2005 and Creative Labs was known for building sound card with only decent and cost effective parts.
Different op-amps have different effects on sound, some have better sound stage and instrument separation, change the bass from loud to tight, brighten tremble, make the sound more laid back, etc.

On Head-Fi there is "The Op-amp Thread", post a question asking what would be a good op-amp to make the sub-woofer less boomy (and more tight?)?
Just trying to save you a few dollars from buying audio equipment that may not change or improve the current sound much.
Klipsch business is making speakers, Sonys is promoting a marketing name.

Dec 12, 2011 at 3:13 PM Post #15 of 28
People are subject to placebo , bias etc, test equipment is not and it's 10,0000 times more accurate.
Op-amps don't sound different unless they misused they have many requirements in a circuit which you completly ignore when hot-swapping them and testing with your ear stability is critical for proper op amp operation, unless you know the requirements of the op-amp and properties of the circuit your placing it in your likely using the wrong op-amp for the job and wasting time and money degrading the sound quality rather than improving it then mistaking this degradition of sound like an increase in disortion,oscillation,ultrasonic artifacts or some other unwanted effect for an increase in detail or something else stupid.
An op-amp is not a eq far from it infact, in audio there normally used as buffers, or some for small voltage gain. You've just proved everything you think about op-amps is completly wrong yet you still suggest everyone goes about hot swapping them like there some sort of eq or magic sound enhancer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back