MuVo2 vs. iPod mini
Apr 30, 2004 at 6:05 PM Post #16 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Slimm
No software needed? The Muvo is drag and drop???.

I thought you needed Creative's Media Center to get files on it, using ID3 tags?

Yes, no software is needed. In fact, I only installed the Muvo2 driver for my Win98 notebook and nothing on my XP PC. The Muvo2 will display ID tags while playing a song, but it doesn't use ID tags for anything else. I prefer organizing my music by artist/album folders.

Apr 30, 2004 at 6:34 PM Post #17 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by IpaqMan
Yes, no software is needed. In fact, I only installed the Muvo2 driver for my Win98 notebook and nothing on my XP PC. The Muvo2 will display ID tags while playing a song, but it doesn't use ID tags for anything else. I prefer organizing my music by artist/album folders.

So why doesn't Creative utilize this for their HD players, or do they, or are they being phased out in anticipation of a new line?

Doesn't make sense to me.

Apr 30, 2004 at 6:52 PM Post #18 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Slimm
So why doesn't Creative utilize this for their HD players, or do they, or are they being phased out in anticipation of a new line?

Doesn't make sense to me.

I wish they would. I hated the NJB3 software so much that I bought Notmad Explorer to use with my NJB3.

Apr 30, 2004 at 7:25 PM Post #19 of 27
yes. muvo2 can use as extrastorage, no need for software with every computer.(oh. may be window 98 needs it?? not sure)
i tried both ipod and muvo2. i think muvo2 sounds better. ipod is too bright and iritable for me. well, but it looks much more cool.....now i end up with muvo2 form ebay...lol (1gb cf though)...
tongue.gif

lol...ipaqman just replied it. i am so slow.
redface.gif

Apr 30, 2004 at 8:31 PM Post #20 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by LiquidFX
Assuming the lifespan of the ipod and the muvo is x years (before there is a more worthy upgrade), after x years, people who bought the muvo now would be left with a 4GB microdive, while those who bought the ipod now would be left with nothing.

The point which you missed was not whether your above statement is true. The post that I originally responded to made the reusability of the microdrive the deciding factor on which player to buy. It is irrational is to base this purchasing decision on the future value of a $50 part instead of making the decision on whether the unit functions best for you.

I'll put it another way. What is more important - $50 in 3 years or how well the product suits your needs for those 3 years? This is not a question of which product is better but a question of using rational criteria to make your decision. I say the original post that made this the deciding factor is irrational.

Ipaqman, based on the historical price decline of flash memory and hard drives and the increasing need to minaturize componentry I do think a 4 GB microdrive will only be $50 in 3 years. Microdrives were exotic new technology 3 years ago. As with all technology that reaches maturity, the price drop and performance improvements won't be linear. Since neither of us will know the answer to this for 3 years we'll just have to disagree.

Apr 30, 2004 at 10:23 PM Post #21 of 27
The Muvo2 shows up as an extenal hard drive, no software required (except for Windows 98SE users).

Creative Labs has cited copy reasons as to why their large capacity players (Zen and NJB3) are not plug-and-play. I think with all the pressure, they'll have to rethink that policy for their newer line of players. There have also been rumors that their existing players will get firmware upgrades that allow for plug-and-play.

The Muvo2 has amazing sound! I bought one on Ebay with the 4GB microdrive removed for $40. Then I bought a Sandisk 1GB compactflash on sale (with a rebate) for about $130. I normally use 192kbps mp3 files on my Zen, but with the limited space on my moded Muvo2, I decided to use 96kbps wma files instead. Even those files sound great. The sound is crisp and bright.

If looks don't concern you too much, and sound and battery life is important, I think the Muvo2 is the way to go.

smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 30, 2004 at 11:53 PM Post #22 of 27
I wondered why the MuVo2 had such a small screen. Then I found pictures of it dismanteled. The thing is just packed, and I can't really see how they could shrink it enough to fit a larger screen on there... oh well. I just hope the remote is pretty big.

Sure, at the rate at technology changes, we'll all be using microdrives instead of floppies in 10 years (give or take 9 years). But now, microdrives are worth $400. And now is when it matters. Sure, you can wait 3 more years, and get the 4 gigs for only $50, but hell man... you can't live like that.

Buy now. Sell now. Buy now again. Keep.
People actually make profits buying MuVo2s, and selling Microdrives. iPod mini should contain the exact same microdrive, if I'm not mistaken... I've just heard that it was hella easier to get the thing out of a MuVo2 instead of an iPod mini. Plus the MuVo2 gets you $50 extra in profit...

May 1, 2004 at 1:36 AM Post #23 of 27
It has been reported that the microdrive in the Mini is not the same as the retail Hitachi MD and that only one of its three data channels is enabled. So the Mini drive is mostly useless outside of the Mini.

May 1, 2004 at 7:16 AM Post #24 of 27
Maybe its me but I just don't get the point of the Ipod style being that important. I did not buy an mp3 player to dangle from my neck like a cowbell to display how cool I am. I want a light item that I can stick in my pocket (be it pants or shirt) and not be constantly reminded of it's presence while it is providing me with a clean, clear sound. From most of the reviews I've read, that would be the Muvo2.

But those are the criteria *I* am targetting. It's going to be different for others but I'm a substance-before-style type person, and that seems to be the main differencese between the Muvo2 and the Mini-iPod. The only substance-area that the Muvo2 seems to lose is user-interface (lcd & controls).

The real kicker for me is that the Muvo2 is relatively modular and that I can go solid-state on a Muvo2, mayhaps even upgrade with future CF-form hd's (quite likely a pipe dream, but hey--if you're going to dream, dream BIG!).
icon10.gif

May 1, 2004 at 7:24 AM Post #25 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by IpaqMan
It has been reported that the microdrive in the Mini is not the same as the retail Hitachi MD and that only one of its three data channels is enabled. So the Mini drive is mostly useless outside of the Mini.

it's been proven to work in some digicams, but not others.

May 1, 2004 at 7:45 AM Post #26 of 27
I've played with the Muvo2 extensively (gave it to my gf for xmas)... and I would not buy it again. If you primarily just need a data storage transport, its great considering it doesn't need any drivers, but as a player, it has too many faults..SCREEN, controls, no ID3-tag support.

screen - one line. a real pain in the ass to see, considering its microscopic size, and hard to manuever through directories since you can only see ONE LINE text! awful.

controls - very, very small 5-way pad that tries to do to much. controls navigation and volume. very cheap feeling, like you could break it at any time. the small on/off/play/pause button doesn't inspire any confidence either.

No ID3 tag support. nothing. it's just file/folder navigation.

However, despite all the faults, I would consider keeping one as a FLASH player/data disk, by buying one of the empty shells off eBay and inserting a CF card, since that's the cheapest way to get a high-capacity flash player. a 512mb player can be built for $150.. or 1gb for $200-ish.. significant savings

May 1, 2004 at 7:33 PM Post #27 of 27
What about the iPod faults? Higher cost, required software, zero modding ability, Less than 8 hour battery, unchangable battery, and the design flaw that has killed more than a few people's listening pleasure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back