muvo2 better sound than ipod.. bleah.
May 18, 2004 at 3:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

jpo245

100+ Head-Fier
Hi i just got one of those empty muvo2s on ebay and put in my 256mb cf.. i bought it specially for jogging, because i can't jog with my 3g ipod..

omg, the creative sound quality is MUCH better than ipod... why is that??

anyone else notice this?

whats the deal apple???

May 18, 2004 at 4:01 AM Post #2 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpo245
Hi i just got one of those empty muvo2s on ebay and put in my 256mb cf.. i bought it specially for jogging, because i can't jog with my 3g ipod..

omg, the creative sound quality is MUCH better than ipod... why is that??

anyone else notice this?

whats the deal apple???

hmm i have both but I wouldn't agree with you... how did you A/B test them?

May 18, 2004 at 4:06 AM Post #3 of 11
I often think it's more of a personal preference of a certain sound signature rather than what is actually more accurate that makes a portable music device more preferable to one. One would like something for its "powerful" bass but another will hate it for its "muddy, bloated" bass and so on. Clearly differing personal preferences are prevalent in all of the audio world but I just think the difference between players just seem more pronounced in the portable world.

May 18, 2004 at 4:19 AM Post #4 of 11
i guess thats true.... lots of people prefer ipod for its clear detailed and pure sound, but i find it a bit too bright and tinny, more often than not i turn on the "TREBLE REDUCER" mode...

i like detail when im listening to classical, but def not for alt/rock/pop jazz and electronica.

then again, i havent realyl conducted a full blown blind scientific comparison, and am basing my judgements off of a few listens of the same mp3s...

May 18, 2004 at 8:31 AM Post #5 of 11
I have an iPod and iPod mini, but I also got a Muvo2 and put in a 512MB CF card. I agree that the Muvo sounds better - noticably and significantly better, but not huge like night and day. The Muvo just simply sounds fuller with (IMHO) better bass compared to the iPod. What's nice about the Muvo is that to my ears the more powerful bass doesn't come at the expense of losing the crisp highs that both iPod and Muvo have.

May 18, 2004 at 12:51 PM Post #6 of 11
I've never heard the iPod, but I've read other threads in Nomadness where users of both players have said the Creative DAPs (JB3, Zen) sound better.

May 18, 2004 at 2:35 PM Post #7 of 11
I can't compare it to the iPod (since I don't have one that I can regularly listen to), but I too was surprised with the sound output of the Muvo2. Even using wma's with lower bitrates (to save space), the sound was still rich and full. I think Creative Labs certainly got the sound down pat. Now if only they would work on their displays and to a lesser extent their overall looks.

biggrin.gif

May 18, 2004 at 3:42 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by GSTom1
I think Creative Labs certainly got the sound down pat. Now if only they would work on their displays and to a lesser extent their overall looks.

biggrin.gif

If they did that then they wouldn't be able to sell an upgraded version with a bigger screen 6 months down the line now would they.
wink.gif

May 18, 2004 at 7:30 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Now if only they would work on their displays and to a lesser extent their overall looks.

I actually really like the Muvo2's design. Granted I only have 512MB of storage after removing the 4GB drive, browsing by folders is easy, especially since you just drag-n-drop files onto the Muvo. The screen is small, but it displays more text in one line than the iPod, and text scrolls unlike the iPod. It's thicker, but the square shape feels better in my hands. And I can operate it while it's in my pocket, just like the iPod mini. Removable battery is great, and battery life with the 4GB drive I think is easily double that of either iPod or iPod mini.

May 20, 2004 at 8:03 PM Post #10 of 11
Just heard my roommate's modded 512m muvo2 through HD650's and ER4P's. Purely from my recollection, the Muvo sounded better than the iPod and the iRiver 3XX series players. I was surprised how full yet clean the sound was. Definitely one of better deals for an MP3 player IMHO although I hated the control and the smallish LCD.

May 20, 2004 at 10:18 PM Post #11 of 11
hmm the more i use my cheapo modded muvo, the more i love it....

albeit the fact that its only 256, i find it much better than the ipod in this sense:

1. i RARELY listen to more than 10% of the 15gb worth of ipod songs.. i always forget what i have on the ipod, and usually listen to the latest stuff i transfer into it.
2. there is Sooooo much stuff on my ipod, and since im a very disorganized person, so i usually dont' even bother making play lists/genres etc, which results in me never ever finding my song again.
3. itunes is so crappy, even the other third party software sucks. creative's PLUG AND PLAY usb mass drive thingy is amazing... and its so easy to make play lists, i can make playlists in winamp and just drag the stuff into the muvo folder.
4. muvo battery life is amazing. i'd say twice my ipod.
5. better muvo sound.
6. i love solid state memory, i can run around and jump no worries.
7. muvo actually has a 4 band EQ... this is not that great, but better than ipod!!
8. i use my muvo as a portable storage solution for school (documents, etc). its sooo convenient. i carry that super short usb-miniusb cable, and plug it in anywhere, and i can drag files on and off it. super easy to copy mp3s from other computers, im not limited to one dumb comp with itunes.
9. user replacable batteries + memory (in case i wanna upgrade)
10.best of all, price: $40 bucks (ebay muvo shell) + $40 bucks (amazon 256mbcf) = 80 bucks!!! i paid 279 for the ipod, + 30 for the remote + 60 for the ivod vaja case.

and now, my 3g 15gb + ivod 3g + remote is sitting on my desk collecting dust.... im thinking of selling it...

oh yes!

11. support for WMA!!! frankly i think this totally kicks mp3s ass... i dunno abt ogg, but WMA lossless rocks, and i can barely tell the difference btw my 192kbps MP3 and my 96kbps VBR wmas. i get satisfactory sound at a cost of abt 30-40mbs a CD! i have abt 6-7 full cds on my humble 256mb.. im seriously considering upgrading to 1gb.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back