Mutual owners: Is the A900ltd good enough to justify selling the A900?
Jan 12, 2006 at 7:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

NotJeffBuckley

1000+ Head-Fier
As the title states, I'm curious about the A900 Ltd. I understand that it features a different (better) driver and has a different (better) pad material, in addition to a different ("better") cable. If money were limitless I'd buy ten.
rolleyes.gif

Unfortunately, as a college student, money isn't even remotely limitless. I'm very happy with my current headphone collection, with weeks (and in some cases, months) of saving prefacing each purchase. Scrape by on what's available, I'm sure some of you know the drill. I'm very happy with my A900.

So happy, in fact, that if the A900Ltd is "like the A900, but markedly better" in the same way that the A900 is "like the A500, but markedly better" (or the HD595 is "like the HD555, but markedly better") I'd be willing to sell my A900 to help fund buying it. If it's not of the same nature of improvement, I'll be keeping my A900 and my money. Simple enough, I think.

Negligable or minor sonic differences do not justify a ~$140 price difference in my opinion, and since I'm not going to be able to get what I paid for them I'd appreciate honesty. If it's only a little bit better, tell me, so that I can save my money. I understand that many of us here can get caught up in the excitement of a new headphone and expound on its qualities as though it were a God-designed can, but I can't afford that attitude here
smily_headphones1.gif

If the money meant the difference between edible food and 7 cent ramen for a month, would you have sold your A900 and bought the A900 Ltd? Please, if you're able, help me out.

Thanks in advance.

Jan 12, 2006 at 10:24 AM Post #2 of 9
You really need to listen to a pair that has burn-in a whilte and compare them to your A900s to make this decision for yourself. What I may consider a great distance between the A900 and A900LTD you may be much more of an athlete and consider the distance a sprint without merit.

Jan 12, 2006 at 1:44 PM Post #3 of 9
If you like the A900 and want to upgrade, I would do it. There will be enough differences to make the upgrade worthwhile.

Jan 12, 2006 at 1:49 PM Post #4 of 9
If I am not happy with A900s, should I get it? My head is telling no but my heart is tell me go ahead due to the Limited Edition factor.
I mean is the sonic signature very close to the A900s.

Jan 12, 2006 at 3:30 PM Post #5 of 9
First of all, it's my impression from a few of the online merchant sites that these "limited edition" cans are going fast, and they may not be available all that much longer.

There's an analogy here, I think, to quality issues related to camera lenses. You can buy a decent 300mm. lens for a certain price, or you can buy the version that has special "low dispersion" glass for about twice as much. The difference in quality is real, but it's subtle. You need to be a person who looks closely and/or makes reasonably large photo enlargements to appreciate the difference.

Yet a lot of photographers yearn for that "extra something" that makes their photos that extra bit better, and the better lens is worth the price.

I haven't heard either of these headphones (I think I've read only one post here that was from someone who has heard both). But my guess is that the basic sound signature will be the same--after all, nearly all of the components are the same. But there will be "tweaks" that will bring improvements in subtle ways, discernible through careful listening at robust volumes.

So: I'm guessing that the quick answer will be that the difference is NOT going to be "dramatic," and why bother? But if you are one for whom that extra 5% (??) of quality is worth the marginal cost, you won't be happy unless you buy the better cans.

icon10.gif

Jan 12, 2006 at 5:24 PM Post #6 of 9
I currently own both edition and IMO I would pony up for them. It all depends on what you're look for. If you're hoping that the A900LTD's has a better sounstage or a more detailed sound than the A900 that will blow you away, then you're better off saving your money and looking elsewhere especially if you're happy with your A900's. The A900LTD's has all the soundstage, details, and bass as the A900's (yes they do sound very close to the A900's) except they sound smoother or more refined. The mids in the A900LTD's has a bit more life like feel than the A900's and to me that's a nice improvement. Bass also has a slightly deeper extension but is still tight and fast like the A900's. Earpads on the A900LTD's are of better quality than the A900's. I wouldn't say the sonic differences between the A900LTD and A900 are night and day, but they are there and they are noticeable. Whether or not you feel this amount of difference is worth your money is only a decision you can make.

Jan 12, 2006 at 6:05 PM Post #7 of 9
General opinion seems to be that while they do improve sound, it's very subtle and probably not worth starving myself for.

If nothing else, I can buy some drivers off of bluetin and stick 'em in my A900 and apply some acoustic foam later if I ever become inexplicably dissatisfied with the sound.

Jan 12, 2006 at 7:56 PM Post #8 of 9
I'm trying to make the same decision myself. Of course, whether or not any more expensive and better sounding audio equipment is worth the extra money is never something anyone else can answer for you.

It's a function of how significant the extra money is (in terms of your current finances) vs how much of an improvement you perceive. And how much utility you'll actually gain from the improvement (will you have more years of use from them, will the extra quality mean you'll utilize and enjoy them much more often, etc.?).

Also to consider is the "pride and joy" / "luxury" quotient. No matter how humble my finances have been in the past, I always thought it makes sense to endulge myself in a luxury item or two that brings real joy of use and joy of ownership (providing I can afford them). I'd rather have a few really prized possessions (quality) than a ton of useful but more expendable stuff (quantity).

If the joy you get from your headphones is a genuine escape and something you'll get tremendous use from, than yeah, go for the quality. But if headphones are one of your many consumer desires (like for myself), I'd save the money, be glad you already own some great headphones, and you'll be able to afford something else you really want when it comes along.

Sorry for the rambling, but overall I'd vote for keeping what you have.

Jan 12, 2006 at 8:14 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadKase
Also to consider is the "pride and joy" / "luxury" quotient. No matter how humble my finances have been in the past, I always thought it makes sense to endulge myself in a luxury item or two that brings real joy of use and joy of ownership (providing I can afford them). I'd rather have a few really prized possessions (quality) than a ton of useful but more expendable stuff (quantity).

Sorry for the rambling, but overall I'd vote for keeping what you have.

That's the thing - these were the top A-line headphones. And will be again when the LTD sell out. They're not made any worse by the release of the Ltd. any more than the HD650 are made worse by Headroom taking off half a star from their rating - it doesn't change anything about the headphone at all, and since I already love it I can't justify spending the extra cash, again, for what seems to be a marginal improvement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back