Must have PortaCorda!!! (but can't get it)
Jan 3, 2002 at 6:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Flasken

Exhibit A in the case FOR a legal drinking age.
I was just listening straight out of my Discman when i was reading about amps, and surfing Jan Meiers page. I was curious about the optical out so I tried to stick my headphone plug in there. (I still don't know if i should have done this since i always thought i should use some kind of optical cable!!! please don't laugh if i was completely wrong)

Well first thing i noticed was that the soundstage opened a bit and I actually heard treble!!
eek.gif
(i'm soon gonna buy good cans, i wont mention my current... i just wont
redface.gif
)

I wish the volume on the OUT could be adjusted
frown.gif
frown.gif

Now i'm craving for an AMP also.. The PortaCorda just looks and seems just right.

BUT im 15 ergo I don't own a credit card. So i can't by one from Jan Meier for a couple 'o years.
tongue.gif

Is there any stores that SELL headphone amps??? In Denmark???

(Jan, perhaps it's a bit rude asking you about competitors but would you, being in the biz', know any who sell in Denmark??)

Jan 3, 2002 at 7:20 PM Post #2 of 14
from the optical out ey....hm....reminds me of the "optical sound" thread, maybe this is what he meant
tongue.gif

but can't you do a money-order or something? I bet you can order from Jan without a creditcard.

Jan 3, 2002 at 9:20 PM Post #3 of 14
lol i remember that too ... "Which headphone is best for optical sound??"

hehe

Jan 4, 2002 at 12:40 AM Post #4 of 14
Dear Flasken,

Living in Europa it shouldn't be difficult for you to get EURO's. You can simply send me a letter with the money (use registered post!) and your amp will be send as soon as your payment has arrived.

Cheers,

Jan

Jan 4, 2002 at 6:31 AM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by Flasken
I was curious about the optical out so I tried to stick my headphone plug in there.

My PCDP also has a Line out labeled optical, in the spec its meant to be a SPDIF output ( TOS Link ). I accidently inserted my headphones into them before and was rather surprised when i heard sound coming out of my phones!!

suprisingly when the headphone is inserted into the optical out it automatically switched off the Mega Bass.

even strange, i had just test my pcdp and I too think the sound coming out of the optical actually sounds better than the phones output! Bjork's Hunter drum beat at the start sounds distinctively more punchy and sharp.

so laughs aside, can someone explain what we are hearing?

OMG!
confused.gif
I think my PCDP sounds better than my HIFI out!

Jan 4, 2002 at 9:03 AM Post #7 of 14
In reply to Jan,

wow man, sounds great
biggrin.gif

- Now all i need is the cash... Supposedly i will have it soon. Let's first see if i'm satisfied with the headphone output using my next headphone pair - if not your offer will be considered a nice opportunity - i won't even have to sell [EDIT: lol, i mean TELL] my parents
biggrin.gif

Ceers,

Kristian

[EDIT: What's "registred post"?? ]

Jan 4, 2002 at 9:06 AM Post #8 of 14
But if that is a special optical thing, will you need a converter of some type to get it to an amp ????????

Jan 4, 2002 at 12:30 PM Post #10 of 14
my bet is he plugged them into a line/optical-out combo jack.

quick 101: line-out by-passes the amp, so you get clean sound with as little components messing around with it as possible. but you'll lose volume control and sound-effect options.

optical out is a digital out, with which you by-pass the DAC (even less electronics). you can use this to connect your source to a hi-fi DAC or a MDP (for recording). you'll have to make an analogue signal out of it for it to be of any use tho, you can't listen to light remember
cool.gif

Jan 4, 2002 at 12:55 PM Post #11 of 14
OK, guess it IS a line out/optical out COMBO then... Sony screwed up and made a bad description. The back says:
"line out (optical)" making me think it was an optical lineout so i guess it's both now...Nice to clear that thing off my mind
biggrin.gif

Jan 4, 2002 at 1:45 PM Post #12 of 14
Flasken: Registered post is a way to insure that your letter (with the cash) will directly arrive in the hands of (for instance) Jan Meier. It's quite more expensive than a regular letter, but the postman will give your letter directly in the recipients hands or leave an advice for him to get it at the post office (there, he will have to show an ID card to get the letter). If your letter doesn't arrive, you will get it back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back