Must Have CD to Test out your Headphones!!!
Nov 13, 2009 at 12:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

drgameboy

100+ Head-Fier
Came across this Cd on the internet, and used it to test my D7000, oh my god, best music i have ever heard in my life. these headphones are really something. i used to hear sibilance and harshness in some of my Cds, but my D7000 sounded perfect with this CD (bass, soundstage, mids, trebles, everything, plus no hint of sibilance at all!). i feel everyone should test out their headphones with this CD asap!

Link to the CD is Below
AvaxHome -> B&W: BOWERS & WILKINS/VERY AUDIOPHILE NEW RECORDINGS

Nov 13, 2009 at 12:48 AM Post #4 of 18
Test gear with your favourite music. Anything else is audiophile wankery.

Nov 13, 2009 at 12:52 AM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazza /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I both agree and disagree. What if you were to buy one of those audiophile CD's and actually like some of the music on them? Then those will also become "your music".

Nov 13, 2009 at 1:11 AM Post #8 of 18
The Audiophile Reference cd is nothing more then a sampler cd from the FIM catalog. It's mostly classical, chorus, and easy listening vocals. This is one of my favorite all around cd's, I enjoy the music on it. Anytime someone is over and hears it they ask what cd it is and where can they buy it.

Nov 13, 2009 at 1:15 AM Post #9 of 18
Keane - Perfect Symmetry
R.E.M. - Accelerate
Bruce Springsteen - Magic
Mercury Rev - The Secret Migration
The Flaming Lips - At War with the Mystics

or any other albums with lots of sibilance or distortions.

Nov 13, 2009 at 1:21 AM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cankin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Keane - Perfect Symmetry
R.E.M. - Accelerate
Bruce Springsteen - Magic
Mercury Rev - The Secret Migration
The Flaming Lips - At War with the Mystics

or any other albums with lots of sibilance or distortions.

why would you want to listen to music with sibilance and distortions, good recordings are not supposed to have that.

Nov 13, 2009 at 3:21 AM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazza /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I agree completely. This is supposed to be about the music. If you've forgotten that, why not just get an oscilloscope and forget your ears entirely?

Nov 13, 2009 at 3:27 AM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by drgameboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Link to the CD is Below
AvaxHome -> B&W: BOWERS & WILKINS/VERY AUDIOPHILE NEW RECORDINGS

The first song on that album, Colour To The Moon by Allan Taylor, gives me chills. Amazing. Thank you for the link!

Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitemonkey
I agree completely. This is supposed to be about the music. If you've forgotten that, why not just get an oscilloscope and forget your ears entirely?

Wow, a little harsh don't you think? Nothing wrong with exploring new music.
Whether or not you decide to "test" your headphones with it is personal preference.

Nov 13, 2009 at 3:31 AM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by drgameboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
why would you want to listen to music with sibilance and distortions, good recordings are not supposed to have that.

Transparent and revealing headphones do not cover flaws on recording. If you really want to test the ability of your headphone, some of those "hot" or "loudness" albums are must have.

Nov 13, 2009 at 3:50 AM Post #14 of 18
There is a difference between an Audiophile Test Cd, such as the one Stereophile used to hand out years ago, and an Audiophile Recording Cd.
The test cd consists of both music and various pink noise, clap tracks, and people walking around talking, etc. These types of tests are used to dial in a set of speakers in a specific room in relation to the listening position in order to achieve the best soundstage and imaging, They have hardly any use with headphones.

The two cd's mentioned are Audiophile recording cds. These contain music where alot attention to detail is used in the recording. And usually the best recording equipment available is used. They are well worth the money if you enjoy the type of music that is on them. The sonics and clarity is usually breathtaking.

Nov 13, 2009 at 4:05 AM Post #15 of 18
I think a couple of headfi'ers are misunderstanding my reason for this thread. i was barely saying that the recordings in this cd were spectacular i.e one of the best and most enjoyable music i have ever had the pleasure of listening to. that is why i said i heard no sibilance and harshness in the recordings, because they were perfect. yes, its all about the music, and not the equipment. i would think thats why audiophiles get into this hobby, because we want to hear good music reproduced the best way possible by our gear or headhphones in this case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back