Musiland vs Hiface - battery power question
Aug 15, 2010 at 4:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

regal

Headphoneus Supremus
As I understand it the Musiland can be galvanically isolated with an Adum ,  I know the Hiface can't because its transfer rate is to high.

I wonder if a galvanically isolated LiFePO4  and shunt powered Musiland would be a lower Jitter computer transport than  the battery powered Hiface?

Aug 15, 2010 at 12:38 PM Post #2 of 7

Sorry Regal what's an Adum??

Quote:
As I understand it the Musiland can be galvanically isolated with an Adum ,  I know the Hiface can't because its transfer rate..

Aug 15, 2010 at 2:11 PM Post #3 of 7
Adum is a small circuit built around the Adum 4160 chip.  Itis essentially a USB isolator.
Allowing you to input external power Vs. dirty USB power.  This can improve your sound because of the cleaner signals feeding the unit.
Have a look here as this is a great unit: USB Isolator

Aug 15, 2010 at 8:57 PM Post #4 of 7

Quote:
As I understand it the Musiland can be galvanically isolated with an Adum ,  I know the Hiface can't because its transfer rate is to high.

I wonder if a galvanically isolated LiFePO4  and shunt powered Musiland would be a lower Jitter computer transport than  the battery powered Hiface?

[size=10pt]Had the same thought myself.. [/size]

[size=10pt]The problem with the ADuM4160 chip is the limitation to 48kHz. [/size][size=10pt]As an alternative, I “snipped” into the 5V line & provide a clean linear supply. It made a significant difference. It also got me around the 48kHz ceiling of the ADuM. At one point, I wrote to JKENY asking if he would do his battery power mod to the Musiland. Basically, he wasn’t interested.. [/size]

[size=10pt]BTW. a little tip for Musiland users: use the 1.0.8.4 driver. It is the best sounding to date, IMO.[/size]

Aug 16, 2010 at 2:23 PM Post #5 of 7
Which Musiland? The 02US is better than the 01USD.

Nov 13, 2010 at 1:33 AM Post #7 of 7
After conversing with a few RF engineers they pointed out the fact that the Adum is a noisy device,   probably worse than just using the computer ground.  The latest higher end usb transports aren't using them.   I'm considering gowing thru my computer to see If there are any low hanging fruit on improving the grounding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back