Musiland DIYEDEN SVDAC05
Apr 19, 2008 at 11:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

classicalguy

500+ Head-Fier
My DAC arrived today, and I thought I would post some thoughts about it's operation.

The unit is a lot smaller than I expected. I thought it would be the size of a receiver, but it's much smaller. On the front panel is an on-off switch on the left. On the right are up-and down volume buttons, and a source selector switch. The source selector selects between the four digital inputs: USB, Toslink, AES or RCA Co-Ax.

It has a mini-headphone and dual RCA outputs on the back. I have the dual-RCA plugged into my T-Amp Gen 2, and have tried the headphone out with my Koss KSC-75s. I have not yet tried my high-impedence Senn HD-580s.

The headphone output and the RCA output play at the same time. Headphones do not mute the RCA outputs. Moreover, the RCA output is controled by the volume buttons on the front. There does not appear to be a way to get line out - the outputs all go through the pre-amp stage. I've turned the t-amp all the way up, and control volume with the DIYEDEN.

The USB input uses the TI/BURR Brown 2704 dac chip, which only allows 16 bit and up to 48hz data. I tried upsampling through USB with Foobar, and it doesn't work past 48hz. It does operate at 44.1 properly, but I see no way to upsample through the USB connection.

The other digital inputs will apparently take up to 24 bit 192hz data straight to the Cirrus Logic CS4398 dac. I have a digital output on my computer card, and some day when I'm feeling like getting into the back of my computer (not easy in my setup), I might try comparing the computer's digital output with the USB connection and testing upsampling.

Tha manual is entirely in Mandarin, so I can't understand anything it says. But there are no other controls apparent on the device.

It has a nice digital readout that tells you the volume level and the sampling rate of the data. It switches between the two pieces of information about every 5 seconds.

I get some minor thumping through the speakers when I change inputs - maybe all dacs do that. This is my first outboard dac.

Build quality from the outside looks beautiful. If feels like a heavy, quality piece of equipment. Connectors are all very nice and solid. I'm not competent with electronics, so I could not and have not tried to evaluate the work inside the case.

Sound quality seems very nice. Very clean, clear, well defined. I listened to Glenn Gould play the early beethoven sonatas, and his humming was as clear as I've heard it! The unit is dead quiet. I don't really have anything to compare it to other than my old xitel pro hi-fi link. The DIYEDEN is clearly much better than the xitel in every way. Well, I have an m-audio transit downstairs that might be worth comparing at some point.

The only things that disappoint me so far are (1) it would be nice to have the headphone jack on the front rather than the back (I knew this when I ordered it), and (2) there is no way to defeat the pre-amp for line-out dac. It really works best as a digital preamp/dac.

I would like someday to compare the sound with the Zero and maybe the cheaper SVDAC06, both of which use the AD1852 dac chip rather than the more expensive CS4398. While the CS4398 has better specs, some people apparently prefer (on the Zahlou at least) the AD1852, and it's about $35 cheaper to buy the SVDAC06. Until someone compares them both side by side, it's hard to say how they compare. The zero has the headphone jack on the front and can defeat the pre-amp output for line out, which are nice features. It's cheaper too. More than that I cannot say.

I'd be interested in the opinions of others. If anyone has questions, let me know.

Apr 21, 2008 at 4:39 PM Post #7 of 26
I really don't like the trend of chinese dac's having a headphone amp/out and having pre-amp outs instead of lineouts. I have an amp I love, I just want beautiful music to be fed into it. Having unnecessary features like a sub par headphone amp is pretty lame, and not having a line level source going into my amp's is also pretty lame.

Apr 21, 2008 at 4:57 PM Post #8 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by PITTM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I really don't like the trend of chinese dac's having a headphone amp/out and having pre-amp outs instead of lineouts. I have an amp I love, I just want beautiful music to be fed into it. Having unnecessary features like a sub par headphone amp is pretty lame, and not having a line level source going into my amp's is also pretty lame.

Yeah, that's why I'm looking for a Keces DA-151 or a Moodlab Dice...

Apr 21, 2008 at 7:11 PM Post #10 of 26
I agree with your point about having an option for pure line out, but why do you think it's a "subpar" amp? It sounds quite good to me.

I don't know about OSX. I suspect it will work like any other USB device, but I don't know for sure.

Apr 21, 2008 at 9:33 PM Post #11 of 26
Just got mine today! Now I just have to wait for my cold to go away so I can actually listen to ...well..anything lol

Apr 22, 2008 at 1:40 AM Post #12 of 26
I'm looking forward to your thoughts. I'm really enjoying mine. I must say it sounds terrible with bad recordings, but good recordings sound pretty terrific to me. Headphone amp seems very good too.

Apr 22, 2008 at 5:37 AM Post #13 of 26
I think it sounds really good, a lot better than I thought it was for the price I paid. Like you send you can tell when you have a bad recording. All of my music seems more 'detailed' now. I can hear all of the little extensions to all of the notes, the fades and little vibrations it's great.

I do have a few bones to pick...

1. I have an odd clicking noise if I skip through tracks in Foobar sometimes, and sometimes it clicks like it's setting the sample rate, but all of them are the same.

2. The switching from sample rate to volume level is kind of annoying. I wish I could make it stay on one or the other, preferably the rate, since I'm only using the DAC section.

3. Would have been nice to have a fixed line out, but that's my fault for not paying attention when I bought it.

Anyone that owns one of these have any thoughts/suggestions for #1&2?

Apr 22, 2008 at 5:48 AM Post #14 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by trinkus79 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1. I have an odd clicking noise if I skip through tracks in Foobar sometimes, and sometimes it clicks like it's setting the sample rate, but all of them are the same.

Same for me. Do you use USB input too?

Quote:

Originally Posted by trinkus79 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
2. The switching from sample rate to volume level is kind of annoying. I wish I could make it stay on one or the other, preferably the rate, since I'm only using the DAC section.

Yeah, you have this red thing permanently switching right in front of you, kind of annoying...

Apr 22, 2008 at 6:03 AM Post #15 of 26
I use the 'RCA(coax) input. Coax out on my Auzen Prelude -> Audioquest VDM-3 -> SVDAC05 -> Audioquest Copperheads -> Little Dot MKIV -> Beyer DT990

As for the red thing, I wonder if there is a way to just turn off the display. I don't really need it for anything. Or maybe I'll just build a nice wooden box to put it in
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back