Musicscope app to analyze audio spectrum
Jan 27, 2017 at 8:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

aoitenshi6509

Head-Fier
Hi all,
My apology if this post is already exist :wink:

Recently I purchased a "hi-res album" from hdtracks.com
It was a 24 bit 192 kHz songs from Disturbed's album Believe.
At first, the songs sounded great, they were banging my headphone's drivers real hard but curiousity kills the cat :wink:
I've tried to compare the songs with the ones on tidal hifi, I must say the offline songs were better on soundstage compared to tidal hifi.

and the next thing I know, I installed this app and tried to see the audio spectrum to see if the hi-res songs I have bought were truly hi-res songs :wink:

here are mys screenshots :

Disturbed - Intoxication
WAV 24 bit 192 kHz

Disturbed - Intoxication
MP3 16 bit 48 kHz 320 kbps (converted from WAV file above)

I've done a small research on hdtracks.com after I've made my purchase and hopefully I am not regretting I've spent money to buy hi-res songs from hdtracks :wink:

So my question would be : is it truly a hires song that I've bought from hdtracks.com, judging from the audio spectrum on photo no.1 ?

Thank you for your answer.

Jan 28, 2017 at 2:29 PM Post #2 of 3
Yes, it looks like it to me. There is still spectral content up past 24KHz which there would not be if it were up-sampled from 44.1 or 48 Khz.

The important question is, does it sound better than the CD? Even in the best HD recordings there is not much but noise above 20KHz, and nothing you can actually hear. Some HDTracks albums do sound much better, not because they are HD, but because they use a different master than the CD. The Believe CD does already sound fairly good, for a metal album it has relatively little compression compared to other loudness war victims of the genre.

Jan 28, 2017 at 5:39 PM Post #3 of 3
  Yes, it looks like it to me. There is still spectral content up past 24KHz which there would not be if it were up-sampled from 44.1 or 48 Khz.

The important question is, does it sound better than the CD? Even in the best HD recordings there is not much but noise above 20KHz, and nothing you can actually hear. Some HDTracks albums do sound much better, not because they are HD, but because they use a different master than the CD. The Believe CD does already sound fairly good, for a metal album it has relatively little compression compared to other loudness war victims of the genre.

Thank you for answer :wink:

I don't have the Believe CD but I think I should have one now :wink:
I have compared the songs with the ones on tidal hifi and the songs from HDTracks do sounded better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back