Musicians who turn out to be good Actors
Feb 19, 2006 at 5:28 PM Post #16 of 30
Tom Waits is the first guy I thought of, just amazing in all his films.

As shocking as it sounds now, Jennifer Lopez WAS a fantastic actor in things like Out of Sight and Selena. Although, she was an actor first.

Marky Mark is also 1000x the actor than he was a 'musician."

Madonna of course. Except for the fact that she is a terrible actor, and musician.

It really is incredible how those who excel at one art can excel at others. Sorta like multi sport stars.

Feb 19, 2006 at 6:31 PM Post #18 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by TJ Newton
I'd like to add David Bowie - The Man Who Fell to Earth, The Hunger, Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence, The Last Temptation of Chris, Labyrinth, etc etc.

What about Zoolander!!!!

Feb 19, 2006 at 10:42 PM Post #19 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by mysticaldodo
Faye Wong -

Chungking Express

I love Faye Wong. I guess we can add Cecilia Cheung as well, that is if you guys watch Chinese movies

Feb 19, 2006 at 11:45 PM Post #20 of 30
Luda in Hustle and Flow,
Eminem was quite good in 8 mile,
Kid n' Play in House Party! (classic)
Will Smith in Enemy of the State (although most of his work is enjoyable)
lastly, small part, but Sting in Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels was great.

-I feel like Trent Reznor would have been good in the Matrix or maybe that piece of crap Underworld. I just imagine hed be an intense actor.

Feb 20, 2006 at 8:19 PM Post #23 of 30
Minnie Driver

Feb 20, 2006 at 9:11 PM Post #24 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by fikete
Mark Wahlberg was really good in The Basketball Diaries.

Boogie Nights.

Feb 20, 2006 at 9:14 PM Post #25 of 30
um, Will Smith?

also, Ice Cube and LL Cool J.

But I would say that it's not surprising that these men found success because I think rapping is closer to acting than singing is. Plus, rap as a form of music involves a higher "entertainment" factor than just singing or playing.

Seems pretty natural to me.

-jar

Feb 20, 2006 at 9:41 PM Post #26 of 30
Corey Glover (Living Color) in Platoon.

How can you forget:

Meat Loaf. He was good in "Leap of Faith" but unforgetable in "Rocky Horror" and "Fight Club"

Feb 21, 2006 at 2:11 AM Post #27 of 30
point break...red hot chili pepper guy...(Is it michael anothony???)

bruce springstine in "hi fidelity"

bobby brown in "ghost busters"

dmx has been in a few

busta rhyme has been in a few

Feb 21, 2006 at 3:04 AM Post #29 of 30
From the Classical arena:

Dermot Mulroney (My Best Friends Wedding) is a very talented, and well-schooled cello player. Zuill Bailey, another cellist with world-class reputation has appeared in Oz.
Late actor Christopher Reeve (Superman) was a classically trained pianist who studied at Julliard. And Dudley Moore was a fine classical pianist, too, who later turned to acting.
In earlier years, pianist Oscar Levant - one of the true greats of the 20th c - was quite popular as a TV talk show host. Steve Martin, a fine pianist and composer, was more popular as an early host of the Tonight Show.
TV quiz show host and news correspondent Hugh Downs is a composer, several of his works have been played in Phoenix over the years.
And most amazing of all -- Phyllis Diller was a trained classical pianist. I heard her play the Grieg concerto many years ago -- quite credible, too.

And although not an actor, super conductor Lorin Maazel (NY) is a very accomplished movie director: his short "A Week in the Life of a Conductor" is a brilliant film. One of the funniest things ever made.

Feb 21, 2006 at 3:24 AM Post #30 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by chadlesko
bruce springstine in "hi fidelity"

I don't know if I could count his cameo in High Fidelity since he's just playing himself, not really acting.

Frank Sinatra
Snoop Dogg
2 Pac

I wonder which genre of music has the most musicians turned actors

Users who are viewing this thread

Back