Musician's earplugs
Dec 24, 2001 at 6:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

FunkeHomosapien

Head-Fier
I am getting some drums for Christmas and I don't want to go deaf. What are some good musicians earplugs that lower the volume but don't muffle the sound? They should also look nice since I will use them at concerts.

Dec 24, 2001 at 11:18 AM Post #4 of 9
The ETY ER20's are your best least expensive alternative ($10-$18), and you may want to try these to see if 20db is OK or too much attenuation for you. If you want less you can get custom ETY Musicians plugs in 5, 10, 15, or 20db (25?). These are much more expensive. You need custom molds made of your ears and chose one of the above levels of attenuation and that costs around $140. After you get them you can buy filters that will change their attentuation to any value available for $50 for each value.

Dec 24, 2001 at 6:39 PM Post #5 of 9
I also posted these in a response to fiddler, I believe...ah, yes, here it is.

Jan 5, 2002 at 1:25 PM Post #7 of 9
Jon,

I just ordered a pair of ER-20's. According to the audiologist in my area the ER-20's attenuate 20db. She said that this is a lot of attenuation. I'm doing sound for a couple fairly loud bands and need to hear exactly what's going on while protecting my hearing. She said that 15db is usually better for what I'm doing. Is she just trying to sell me the expensive plugs?

How do you know the ER-20's attenuate 12db for you?

Thanks.

Jan 5, 2002 at 5:37 PM Post #8 of 9
They actually attenuate 20db, their website explains why they need they are labeled as 12db.

Anyways, just got them and the sound sweet. Don't muffle the sound too much. Just the perfect to be able to clearly hear the drums, but not painful.

Jan 5, 2002 at 5:54 PM Post #9 of 9
Thanks for the link! If they are properly inserted they provide 20db attentuation, but due to variables in how people actually may use them they have an NRR rating of 12db.

I learn something new here everyday.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back