Musicians Earplug Rec
Mar 5, 2010 at 3:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

mgrewe

100+ Head-Fier
I'm thinking about getting some custom mold earplugs for concerts. I'm also a musician so they'd be used while I play as well. I wanted to know if there were some recommendations that people have.

I've looked into the Etymotic universal fit, but I can never get a seal with flange style plugs.

I know of Ultimate ears and Etymotic, but is there another brand that I should be looking in to that will be less than $200 (including impression).

Also, I'm located in the Minneapolis, MN and wondering if anyone knows of who the go to audiologist is nearby.

Thanks

Apr 1, 2010 at 1:11 PM Post #2 of 3
I'm asking myself a similar question, as I'm in a similar boat. I go to a lot of rock/metal concerts, and have "jam sessions" with friends. So I too am looking for some customs for under $200. I've found a few things out in my searches on the interwebs. The general consensus is the Etymotic noise filters are the best for music, hands down, so all custom plugs that use them would be similar in SQ assuming a good fit.

My concern/question is comfort, what can I wear for 3-4 hours comfortably. I think that each company uses different materials for the plug. I haven't found any good direct comparisons, but it seems everything I've ready about the following companies is all positive. I had found one review/post somewhere saying something like "Sensaphonics are the most comfortable because they use softer silicone"... not sure if the reviewer has a basis for comparison though, or is just talking out of his bum.

these all use the etymotic filters so i think you can't really go wrong with any of them, question is what are the differences between them when laid out side by side:

Etymotic, Westone, Sensaphonics, and Future Sonics.

Apr 1, 2010 at 2:03 PM Post #3 of 3
Quote:

Originally Posted by mgrewe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm thinking about getting some custom mold earplugs for concerts. I'm also a musician so they'd be used while I play as well. I wanted to know if there were some recommendations that people have.

I've looked into the Etymotic universal fit, but I can never get a seal with flange style plugs.

I know of Ultimate ears and Etymotic, but is there another brand that I should be looking in to that will be less than $200 (including impression).

Also, I'm located in the Minneapolis, MN and wondering if anyone knows of who the go to audiologist is nearby.

Thanks

Check with JH Audio, iirc they make a custom earplug. And Jerry is pretty familiar with the needs of musicians/concert attendees. Not sure about price, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back