Musician with hearing loss seeks canalphone recommendations...
Jul 1, 2005 at 3:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Blorton

100+ Head-Fier
Howdy Gang - great site!

(Short version - I'd appreciate pointers towards a bright set of canalphones with musician-class performance.)

By way of introduction, I was born with a significant hearing loss such that I listen to headphones at a volume level typical of a rebellious teenager.
280smile.gif

My loss mirrors that of older folks who've been exposed to too much loud noise. The upper frequencies are where the loss is greatest. My audiogram looks like a map for a great ski slope.
eek.gif

Anyways - I wear a pair of expensive, fully digital hearing aids that do well enough for conversational needs, but obviously are horrid at music reproduction. (Every incoming sound is digitally sliced and diced to foreground human voices over all else. In addition to the wild frequency munging, they absolutely play hell with dynamic range.) Since I play trombone in a number of groups, this is a problem. (When I first started playing decades ago, I only wore an aid on one side, so the occlusion and artifacts I'm battling now weren't an issue. And aids back then were "low-tech" analog and had linear gain. ) This is progress?
tongue.gif

Anyways - back to the matter at hand...

In addition to using this potential rig for listening to music, I'm also working towards being able to adapt it into a "personal monitor" setup for performing music. (Commercial units are available with two inputs and a mixer in an oversized pager type package and are often used by drummers to listen to a click track as well as the band they are playing with.)

On a lark, I bought a pair of koss plugs and have them running into custom earmolds(really just older ones I had laying around that still fit fine, just are too loose for HA use.). I'm running them off a boosteroo and am liking what I hear. I know they're crappy, but believe me, they are worlds better than what the hearing aids can do. The bass performance of the plugs got much better with the earmolds, but like everyone else, I find their high end response and overall musicality sorely lacking.

Up until now, I've always done my serious listening through mid-fi cans. (AKG-240S and MDR-7506)

I'm tentatively taking the next step by building a cmoy amp, and am shopping for a small stereo mic for the personal monitor side of things, but am undecided on the canalphones. Clearly, I'm a great candidate for the UE10's, but I'm leaning towards the E4(C)'s at this time. Money is not a huge issue, but I need some reassurance that a $1k purchase is the right move before I'd feel comfortable doing that. (I dropped $5k into these aids chasing better musicality and am damn near sick about it.)

I'll probably end up going with an eq at some point, but don't really need one with most signal sources and would prefer not to have one with a portable rig. What would you guys recommend for a bright set of canalphones or IEM's?

I'd appreciate any and all comments or advice,
Dan

Jul 1, 2005 at 12:19 PM Post #2 of 8
Well, i'm no authority at all but since your hearing loss is greatest at the upper frequencies i think a phone like the etys are the way to go (apparently their top end response is superb and should hopefull offset your high frequency hearing rolloff)

Cant be any more helpful there, i also wanted to bump your thread cos i think you could appreciate the help and i'm sure there are many here who might have missed your thread and could help you.

P.S. Hearing loss or no, welcome to head-fi, sorry about your wallet
lambda.gif

Jul 1, 2005 at 12:25 PM Post #3 of 8
One thing you must surely have is a good equalizer. I dont have a huge hearing loss (Apart form a 6K skislope of 40 dB, I'm pretty much great, 7 left, 8 right dB average isn't worth getting those evil things for), but if I use an EQ, the music totaly lives up and makes it much more fun to listen to.

I would take a flat response phone and just equalize it to get it perfect to your needs, similar to your hearing aid I believe, since they equalize as well. (Though not very nice
wink.gif
)

I believe the Ety ER4S or B are the flattest, B is actualy quite a bit more sibliant, I hear, which might be great for ya.

Jul 2, 2005 at 7:37 AM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blorton
Clearly, I'm a great candidate for the UE10's, but I'm leaning towards the E4(C)'s at this time.
<snip>
What would you guys recommend for a bright set of canalphones or IEM's?

Heh, I was just sitting here thinking, dang, the E4c are great, but they sure lean towards being bright/detailed/high treble energy phones. I'm comparing them to my Sensaphonics, which I just got back from repairs, and it's still early to really say, but the Sensaphonics seems sluggish in direct comparisons.

Anyway, I've tried the Ety ER4P/S and liked it a lot too. But I have more time with the E4c and perfer its ergonomics, and when I read the beginning of your post, my immediate thought was, "hmm, this guy sounds like a prime E4c candidate."

Buy from Todd the Vinyl Junkie (talk to him about price matching, if that's an issue). He'll let you return it if it doesn't work out for ya.

Best regards,

-Jason

Jul 2, 2005 at 9:40 AM Post #5 of 8
Well if your hearing loss is the greatest in the treble ranges my initial thought would be to tell you to get Etymotics. I find them to be utterly piercing in the highs, but they'd probably do well for someone like yourself. As for the E4, yes it does offer a decent bit of treble energy, but ultimately it's a very balanced phone. You seem to be looking for something with more treble so the ER4s seems a better choice than the E4. If you do go with the E4, you'll definately want to try the soft grey tips since they tip the balance of the E4 towards the treble region.

On the other hand, a dual driver IEM may suit you better if you're using an EQ since they would likely offer you more headroom without distorting.

Jul 2, 2005 at 11:32 AM Post #6 of 8
Me too have a hearing loss, most in treble. I have hearing aids, digital type like you.
Of course you get better sound with brighter phones like Grados than Sennheiser and still better by canal phones. But that is not the solution, believe me. It is equalisation. Once you have listened to the music equalised you never will listen to it with flat frequency response.
I use the 6 bands equaliser in minidisc, and it is enough to get a really wov experience compared to flat response. A real big equaliser would be still better, I think, but they are so clumsy.
If you have equalisation you can fit it to any headphone. So my advice is. Don't try to get a headphone adjusted to your hearing loss, but an equaliser instead.

Georg

Jul 3, 2005 at 9:05 AM Post #8 of 8
In my hearing aids (Widex) there is a position for speech and one for music. In position music you get compensation for all your loss in treble. Then you can have flat frequencies response source. But still, for me it is better without hearing aids and compensation in source. More space in sound. But there are more sophisticated hearing aids. But if it is possible to get a good solution it will be very expensive. My hearing aids cost about $2000 but there are those that are much more expensive.

Georg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back