Musician Needing Help Purchasing Customs
Jan 21, 2009 at 4:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

tstaires

New Head-Fier
I've using universal IEMs for monitoring for about 6 years now and I believe it's about time to move onto custom molded buds. I've been using a set of UE SuperFi 5's for about 2 years now and they have served me well since purchasing them. A few weeks ago the right bud simply fell apart pushing me to start researching custom IEMs.

I'm looking to go with at least a dual driver IEM. A triple or quad driver would be nice. I'm a lead singer and guitar player, and my primary use for the IEMs will be for monitoring. I'm looking to stay under $1000 and the further under $1000 the better.

From my research the few that have caught my eye are: Westone ES2, ES3(x), Earinc Z2 & Z5, and Hearyourself C3.

Feedback, reviews, and general help would be awesome. Thanks!

Jan 24, 2009 at 12:44 AM Post #2 of 6
You might want to check out Earpiece Technologies Livewires

$249 dual balanced armature drivers
Can customize the colors. No custom artwork as of this writing.

100_1483-1.jpg

590467898_9134173fc0.jpg

Apparently they are really good. Very neutral sound signature (originally designed for touring musicians,etc) and are very sensitive (which is apparently very good for monitoring/musician work).

You have to go to a local audiologist and impressions usually costs about $20 bucks. Mine are on the way and you usually can expect a wait of around 3-5 weeks for them to be produced. Check out the head-fi thread below to get as much info as you can.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/l...reamin-259853/

http://www.livewiresforyou.com/

Jan 25, 2009 at 8:54 PM Post #3 of 6
I have heard reviews about the Livewires being great customs for that low of a price.

Freqshows are good from what I have read also. Look into them if you want an alternate. Then of course you have the 1000$ UE customs.

Jan 25, 2009 at 9:34 PM Post #4 of 6
Are you looking for a flat sound, mid bump, or low bump?

Jan 26, 2009 at 1:45 AM Post #5 of 6
as a singer and guitarist I woulod think mid-bump. so ES3 would be perfect. I wouldnt use a cheap monitor for stage work. but thats just me. I also think the livewires connector could be a weak point for all that jumping around and bad treatment stage gear gets. stick with westone IMO theyve been specializing in musicians monitors for years and years

Feb 28, 2009 at 8:18 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Imslimjim /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You might want to check out Earpiece Technologies Livewires

$249 dual balanced armature drivers
Can customize the colors. No custom artwork as of this writing.

100_1483-1.jpg

590467898_9134173fc0.jpg

Apparently they are really good. Very neutral sound signature (originally designed for touring musicians,etc) and are very sensitive (which is apparently very good for monitoring/musician work).

You have to go to a local audiologist and impressions usually costs about $20 bucks. Mine are on the way and you usually can expect a wait of around 3-5 weeks for them to be produced. Check out the head-fi thread below to get as much info as you can.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/l...reamin-259853/

Live Wires Custom Fit In-Ear Monitors / Headphones

If you order them from the Nashville Office, you get them back in 15-17 days

Users who are viewing this thread

Back