Musician Draco R2R DAC
Aug 10, 2023 at 9:42 AM Post #76 of 96
Musician now has a matching ddc - the Pisces, at about $500. It looks promising, but there are no reviews of it that I could find.

There's also what appears to be a clone - the Ladder Boya for a bit less. https://shenzhenaudio.com/products/ladder-boya-audio-interface-usb-fpga-dsp-processing. Nothing at all online about it though.

But if the focus is on "inexpensive" I am using Douk u2 Pro, and it is surprisingly good for about $50.
You’re a lifesaver! I just ordered that Douk u2 Pro and an optical cable to see if my original Bifrost Multibit will limp along using optical (the USB input no longer works) while I save up for something more expensive like the Gustard R26! (I might still get Draco, tho)…

Nov 2, 2023 at 9:12 AM Post #77 of 96
Nov 19, 2023 at 4:16 AM Post #78 of 96
hi, I bought a dac Musician Draco (second hand) My experience is that the RPI 4 was not good as a USB transport. Much better was my mobile phone with USB audio player PRO. I then bought the IAN CANADA TransportPI digi ULTRA. Not much at first, but later it got better. Each input plays differently, I tried COAX, I2S and OPT. Finally I tried to use Allo isolator between RPI and Transport and it works fine. The sound moved to another level. The transport is powered by the battery via the Allo isolator. The connection via I2S succeeded on the first try (mode 5 on Draco). I use an ordinary HDMI cable for 10 euros. (length 30 cm).

Dec 17, 2023 at 6:31 PM Post #80 of 96
How do i get DSD to work, do i need to the I2S input and if so how i make it work after that? I tried basically everything
You tried everything, but not when writing this post. Missing info.

Answer for now: Depends on your source (PC, streamer, etc.. ), and player.

Dec 18, 2023 at 4:12 PM Post #82 of 96
Sorry you are correct, the source is a Windows 11 PC, The amplifier is a Woo Audio WA6 2nd Gen
I see you need to decide on Windows player supporting DSD. The are few commercial apps and a freeware Foobar 2000 with SACD add-on which I suggest for a start.

I don't know whether SACD add-on is compiled for the 64-bit version of Foobar (I still use Foobar v1. 6), so download 32-bit version to be safe.

Then search for "Foobar 2000 for Dummies". It is largely outdated, most important there is no need to load WASAPI component, it is now included in the main executable and set as a default Windows interface. So I suggest go straight to Part 2 to pickup download link for the SACD decoder and install it.

Follow section 1 "Bit perfect with DoP output" and get some DSD64 or SACD ISO sample on the start. Use WASAPI Exclusive or ASIO output, your DAC support both (for ASIO install Musician driver) and enjoy it.
:)

EDIT: A guide has been recently updated with new screenshots, will not confuse users anymore.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2023 at 5:06 PM Post #83 of 96
I see you need to decide on Windows player supporting DSD. The are few commercial apps and a freeware Foobar 2000 with SACD add-on which I suggest for a start.

I don't know whether SACD add-on is compiled for the 64-bit version of Foobar (I still use Foobar v1. 6), so download 32-bit version to be safe.

Then search for "Foobar 2000 for Dummies". It is largely outdated, most important there is no need to load WASAPI component, it is now included in the main executable and set as a default Windows interface. So I suggest go straight to Part 2 to pickup download link for the SACD decoder and install it.

Follow section 1 "Bit perfect with DoP output" and get some DSD64 or SACD ISO sample on the start. Use WASAPI Exclusive or ASIO output, your DAC support both (for ASIO install Musician driver) and enjoy it.
:)

EDIT: A guide has been recently updated with new screenshots, will not confuse users anymore.
very kind of you

Mar 19, 2024 at 10:35 PM Post #85 of 96
No such issues on mine...

Apr 29, 2024 at 10:43 AM Post #86 of 96
I wonder if you guys get the occasional static noise buzz on one channel or both. Lower spec chips i guess comes with higher defects. but turn off and on it clears up.
I was having occasional static on high-res PCM material randomly when using coax input from the USB-coax passthrough on my HiBy CR06 dock, but when using either USB input or the AES/EBU input, I have not had this problem. I also ran into static when first attempting to implement I2S from my Gustard U18 DDC and it was not yet configured correctly, but once I got the right pin-out match using the I2S mode setting in the Draco, the static went away and has not come back since.

You may want to try a different interconnect method to avoid the sudden static, especially if you're using coax.

-Ed

May 2, 2024 at 10:55 PM Post #87 of 96
So after a few months of listening, my final thoughts on this vs the Denafrips is that I like this one a bit better. I hear just a bit more dynamics and resolution. The catch is that it is really only a marginal difference - ie, I am not sure I could identify one over the other if A-B'ing them. But given the consensus high regard for the Ares, this is actually high praise.

The inclusion of the hdmi I2S connection, along with I2S configurability so that it is compatible with multiple DDCs are welcome features over the Ares. Its idiosyncratic looks are not a welcome addition though. Its weird angular shape and non-standard size kind of ruin the aesthetics of my equipment stack.

In my opinion, it is not worth doing what I did - ie, selling my Ares to get this. But if you have a DDC and are intrigued by the Denafrips sound, this gets you virtually the identical sonic signature as the Denafrips, but with a bit better performance. The only downside is its looks if that makes a difference to you.

I am surprised that this unit hasn't received the buzz that the Ares has - it really is a fantastic product that should be an easy decision vs the Denafrips.

Ironically, I will probably end up selling mine though. I have multiple R2R DACs and was looking for either a major sonic improvement over my Ares, or something that sounded different altogether.

Let me know if you have any questions...
Hi there, just noticed your thread. Any updates on your currently preferred DAC? I'm leaning towards an R2R or proprietary DA chip, as I'm also a fan of Chord Electronics DACs, but hopefully something more affordable.

May 2, 2024 at 11:05 PM Post #88 of 96
PS - I would also be using the DAC with my Audio GD DI20 DDC so I would have the choice to use it with either I2S, AES/EBU, RCA coax, or even Toslink optical with an iFi adapter. And though their DDC is sublime, I won't consider Ausio GD DACs anymore, as I was utterly dismayed with their DAC-R1 I used to have.

Last edited:
May 3, 2024 at 4:42 AM Post #89 of 96
PS - I would also be using the DAC with my Audio GD DI20 DDC so I would have the choice to use it with either I2S, AES/EBU, RCA coax, or even Toslink optical with an iFi adapter. And though their DDC is sublime, I won't consider Ausio GD DACs anymore, as I was utterly dismayed with their DAC-R1 I used to have.
Get Bifrost2 with Unison board. This is the cheapest with galvanic isolation on the USB port. Or Soekris, Audio GD R-1 NOS which have all ports isolated.

A common cause for dissatisfaction is noise. Deal with noise, R-1 is the best sounding DAC in the low price range, but has no isolator, same Draco, Ares/Enio. Do not spread your own noise. I know you will come back later on other threads advertising that you are utterly dissatisfied with Draco. Get Schiit, have fun.

DI-20 is compatible with Draco, but it may be not enough.

May 3, 2024 at 5:16 AM Post #90 of 96
If I'm not using USB input, is there any benefit of still getting a Unison board on the Bifrost 2? I've been interested in that DAC for a while. Anyone else second the Soekris as well?

I may still like the Draco and can tweak the isolation as I now have several isolation hacks at my disposal, which I can share about. I had a very negative experience with the Audio GD R-1 DAC, over 100 hrs. burn-in and the detail, dynamics, etc. didn't even come close to the likes of Modi multibit, and the Qutest vastly outclassing it. @sajunky sharing one's personal praise or criticisms with equipment on Head-Fi is how both the consumer and vendors benefit. And unless you can refute this point and explain in great detail how such usual exchange can be equated to spreading noise and further how you have authority to censor criticism and make assumptions on the experience of someone that you know not, then I will make it a point of continuing to spread my own noise for as long as I may live, and anyone else visiting this page can see your point as moot.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back