Musician Draco R2R DAC
Jan 5, 2022 at 12:44 PM Post #16 of 96
Actually both cases involve multiplying frequency. Oversampling is a marketing term (as seen on old CD players), upsampling is a technical term, a special case of resampling or a sample rate conversion (SRC). Upsampling can be to any frequency (not limited to power of two numbers), this is a main difference.
which these dacs do not do.

Jan 6, 2022 at 8:34 AM Post #17 of 96
which these dacs do not do.
You say, they do not do upsampling? It means that you only understand a marketing speech, not technical terms.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2022 at 6:49 PM Post #19 of 96
Just got one also because this thread

thanks you all

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-02-04 183539.png
    Screenshot 2022-02-04 183539.png
    613 KB · Views: 0
Feb 5, 2022 at 11:08 AM Post #20 of 96
Just got one also because this thread

thanks you all
So what do you think?

I still haven't managed to sit down and write up a full review, except to say that this is an upgrade over the Ares 2...

Feb 5, 2022 at 2:16 PM Post #21 of 96
So what do you think?

I still haven't managed to sit down and write up a full review, except to say that this is an upgrade over the Ares 2...
never tried the ARES 2 but can say this is a huge improvement over the Schiit Modius.

Looking forward to logging more hours on it but im very very pleased with it

Apr 16, 2022 at 8:46 PM Post #22 of 96
So after a few months of listening, my final thoughts on this vs the Denafrips is that I like this one a bit better. I hear just a bit more dynamics and resolution. The catch is that it is really only a marginal difference - ie, I am not sure I could identify one over the other if A-B'ing them. But given the consensus high regard for the Ares, this is actually high praise.

The inclusion of the hdmi I2S connection, along with I2S configurability so that it is compatible with multiple DDCs are welcome features over the Ares. Its idiosyncratic looks are not a welcome addition though. Its weird angular shape and non-standard size kind of ruin the aesthetics of my equipment stack.

In my opinion, it is not worth doing what I did - ie, selling my Ares to get this. But if you have a DDC and are intrigued by the Denafrips sound, this gets you virtually the identical sonic signature as the Denafrips, but with a bit better performance. The only downside is its looks if that makes a difference to you.

I am surprised that this unit hasn't received the buzz that the Ares has - it really is a fantastic product that should be an easy decision vs the Denafrips.

Ironically, I will probably end up selling mine though. I have multiple R2R DACs and was looking for either a major sonic improvement over my Ares, or something that sounded different altogether.

Let me know if you have any questions...

Apr 27, 2022 at 9:45 AM Post #24 of 96
Apr 28, 2022 at 1:48 PM Post #25 of 96
Jul 17, 2022 at 9:58 AM Post #26 of 96
Jul 17, 2022 at 2:22 PM Post #27 of 96
That reviewer talks about the lack of EMI filters in Draco, which neither Pegasus or Aquarius have. He mistakes the standby power supplies as filters. Such expertise...
They are. In the input of Meanwell SMPS. This circuit is needed for auto-switching between 220V and 110V AC. Draco do not have auto-switching feature, so it is why filter is also mising. I don't expect a reviewer to be an expert in electronics, do you?

The review is well made and I think Draco has better value than Pegasus.

Jul 17, 2022 at 2:25 PM Post #28 of 96
They are. In the input of Meanwell SMPS. This circuit is needed for auto-switching between 220V and 110V AC. Draco do not have auto-switching feature, so it is why filter is also mising. I don't expect a reviewer to be an expert in electronics, do you?

The review is well made and I think Draco has better value than Pegasus.

Agreed - whatever error the reviewer may have made, it doesn't detract from his opinions on sound quality.

Jul 17, 2022 at 8:08 PM Post #29 of 96
I2s rocks on pi2aes mercury, f usb hundreds and thousands on noise reduction and cables. I might be one of few that got a lemon/less than ideal resistors noise : buzz clipping once in a while in all outputs i2s usbc, shut off and restart to get it back to normal. For what i'm getting , not complaining, lived with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back