Musician Draco R2R DAC
May 3, 2024 at 10:27 AM Post #91 of 96
PS - I would also be using the DAC with my Audio GD DI20 DDC so I would have the choice to use it with either I2S, AES/EBU, RCA coax, or even Toslink optical with an iFi adapter. And though their DDC is sublime, I won't consider Ausio GD DACs anymore, as I was utterly dismayed with their DAC-R1 I used to have.
I am eager to hear your experience with the R1. I have a Draco and Gustard X18, both of which I am trying to upgrade. I bought a Holo Cyan 2 to replace my Draco, and am now waiting the month or so for delivery. I had also considered an R1 NOS to replace my X18. A Gustard A26 may also be in the mix. I honestly have never heard any other negative comments about the R1...

As for the Draco, it is a solid buy at its price. Coupled with a Gustard U18 DDC, it puts up a large soundstage in my loudspeaker system, and has body to images and notes. It perhaps loses some detail though.

May 3, 2024 at 10:35 AM Post #92 of 96
I am eager to hear your experience with the R1. I have a Draco and Gustard X18, both of which I am trying to upgrade. I bought a Holo Cyan 2 to replace my Draco, and am now waiting the month or so for delivery. I had also considered an R1 NOS to replace my X18. A Gustard A26 may also be in the mix. I honestly have never heard any other negative comments about the R1...

As for the Draco, it is a solid buy at its price. Coupled with a Gustard U18 DDC, it puts up a large soundstage in my loudspeaker system, and has body to images and notes. It perhaps loses some detail though.
If I had to sum up the Musician Draco in as few words as possible, you’re trading away an OS slow/fast decay filter option from the Denafrips Enyo/Ares II to get I2S input. Their sound signatures are quite similar, close enough where it is difficult for many to say they absolutely prefer the Draco over Enyo (at most I’ve seen others and myself agree that it is just a slight preference in favor of Draco, in particular when compared both units in, “NOS,” mode). But the I2S input provides a bigger benefit, in my personal listening experience/opinion, than does having the slow or fast filter options for OS mode, especially given that, “NOS,” tends to be the preferred listening mode on Draco (interestingly enough because OS/slow tends to be the more commonly preferred setting for Enyo & Ares 12th owners).

-Ed

May 3, 2024 at 2:17 PM Post #94 of 96
If I'm not using USB input, is there any benefit of still getting a Unison board on the Bifrost 2?
I don't own Schiit or Musician gear (just Denafrips), but....

Don't know what the added cost would be, but if minimal, you should consider even if you don't plan on using right away. I'm near certain somewhere down the line you may want to run your PC or some USB device to the DAC, and here the board may be of great use.

In short, don't limit your (future) options.

Good luck.

May 3, 2024 at 4:38 PM Post #95 of 96
Just checked my records, I got the Audio GD R-1 DAC (full clocks upgrade) 4 years ago and you know how audio memory goes so can't comment further than before, but I do recall the general sound sig. as I had mentioned. I have considered that mine could have been a rare fluke to this as an apparently exceptional DAC however, given the unanimous positive impressions about it.

The 'DAC' (if you can call it that) I'm currently upgrading from is the Chord Mojo 2. It's certainly a capable DAC especially for its' ultra-small footprint, and FWIW actually scales amazingly well with upstream digital chain such as top multistrand Toslink optical cables and DDC that's being fed clean power. I loved the Chord Qutest but had to downgrade for extra cash a while ago. I could just get another used one and that probably still bests the other mentioned DACs, but was sort of eyeing a different sound signature for electronic music.

Last edited:
May 4, 2024 at 8:55 PM Post #96 of 96
Thanks for your insights guys. I've recently discovered an alternative DAC called Jnog 2 from Geshelli. It's not R2R, but a similar price, has great reviews from the few who tried it, and has interesting possibilities with op-amp rolling and other customizations perhaps.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/geshelli-j2.958464/page-12#post-18106514

PS- does anyone have any opinions about the RME ADI 2?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back