Musicality of 'phones
Feb 20, 2003 at 9:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Cap'n Dan

Head-Fier
Ahoy!

I'm interested in hearing what you folks have to say about the musical quality of headphones. This is aside from the "technical" aspects such as precision (sound quality).

My reason for asking is my recent evaluation of a friend's Bose
frown.gif
QuietComfort noise-filtering 'phones. They were better than I thought they'd be in terms of sound quality, but were not musical at all. They were powerful and had decent precision... well-voiced in the mid-high frequencies. The bass was rather muddy, uncontrolled, imprecise.

The attribute that disturbed me the most was actually listening to music with them! Whereas my Sennheiser 497s are smooth, effortless, and convey a definite musical sense, the Bose 'phones were lacking in this regard entirely. I suppose one might say they were harsh and forced-sounding.
Definitely not tolerable if you actually want to enjoy your music.
eek.gif

Feb 22, 2003 at 8:18 AM Post #2 of 8
The Senns 580, 590, 600 and the Orpheus are the most musical phones I've heard. This isn't to say they don't have their own shortcomings, but you really enjoy the music when you listen through them.

I was less impressed with the Grado line of phones. They're not musical to me at all, but I do see how the others might like them.
They're too bright for my tastes and don't have the deep soundstage, but they're quick and detailed.

I wasn't impressed with AT 100W at all. They sounded very dry and unmusical. No bass, and the mids are thin. In fact, it's that mid lushness that makes the Senns so musical.

I heard a pair of AKG phones (I don't remember the model number, but they're a conventional design), which I found to be very close to the Senns, although the Senns had that je ne sais qoi that made them so sound that much better.

Feb 22, 2003 at 12:45 PM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by Cap'n Dan
Ahoy!

I'm interested in hearing what you folks have to say about the musical quality of headphones. This is aside from the "technical" aspects such as precision (sound quality).

Sorry, premature button click! See below
biggrin.gif

Feb 22, 2003 at 12:59 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by Cap'n Dan
Ahoy!

AKG K501s are the most musical headphones to me. They are fast, with great rythym and timing, have tight articulate bass, clear natural midrange and treble and a superb stereo image.
Some people say they are not dynamic but I think they are very dynamic with well recorded music, a good source and good amplification.
I have owned Sennheiser HD 600, Grado SR 325, Etymotic ER4s and none of them satisfied me this way.
Pinkfloyd made the statement that the AKG K501s "made the small hairs on the back of his neck stand up" and I totally aggree.
The clincher--they're only $125!
I'm ordering another pair for backup 'cause I can't be without these babies.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 22, 2003 at 8:28 PM Post #5 of 8
First, this Bose sucks man, I have the disgust of auditioning one of those in a store, the guy was pushing everybody over it, to try, and even when not paired with a really good source, it was not doing any justice to the amp it was hooked on, OTOH, I tried the V6 with the same setup, and the things improved a lot, maybe was the synergy, but some others had tried this bose, and all agree in that the sound is not even regular, IMO I suggest you to try the CD3000 (not on the same price range) in an addecuate setup, with the recording of your preference, and I think that you will have a better idea of musicality, at least I consider it, the most musical headphone I ever had tried to the date, but there are also some other good cans that I did not have the chance of tried, so just take this as a grain of salt.....

Feb 22, 2003 at 10:14 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by tigger
AKG K501s are the most musical headphones to me. They are fast, with great rythym and timing, have tight articulate bass, clear natural midrange and treble and a superb stereo image.
Some people say they are not dynamic but I think they are very dynamic with well recorded music, a good source and good amplification.
I have owned Sennheiser HD 600, Grado SR 325, Etymotic ER4s and none of them satisfied me this way.
Pinkfloyd made the statement that the AKG K501s "made the small hairs on the back of his neck stand up" and I totally aggree.
smily_headphones1.gif

Couldn't have put it better myself tigger! They just get better and better and make me want to listen to albums I haven't heard for years... they are effortless in their presentation and very very enjoyable to listen to.

These are definitely "Musical" headphones and are not to be mistaken as "quite like the HD 600's" these are "Nothing" like sennheisers (thank god) The AKG's are for people who appreciate a neutral sound and are not a jack of all trades like the sennheisers... they simply reproduce music naturally and are the best available headphone on the market in the £100 - £250 price region in my opinion.

If you like bass go for the sennheisers, if you like treble go for the Grado's, if you like Midrange go for the Ergos, if you like cheap thrills go for the philips HP 890's... if you want a true insight into the music go for the AKG's. I'm not an AKG junkie but they sure have injected a breath of fresh air into my ears!

Pinkie

http://freespace.virgin.net/rock.grotto/index2.htm

Feb 22, 2003 at 11:14 PM Post #7 of 8
...And there was me going to post about the Eggo love that is flooding head-fi lately...

...Just as I sell off all of my gear, along come a couple of guys with a tempting insight into a 'phone I haven't heard before...

Damnit - maybe the show isn't over yet
wink.gif

Feb 23, 2003 at 12:12 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by tigger
smily_headphones1.gif

I second this opinion re) musicality of the K501. Very natural and very very very very nice soundstage. It's my second favorite set of cans right now (a close second to the AKG K340).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back